Beersmith, grist by percentages....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martymoat

Reaction score
is this possible. I see that it tells me the percentages of the specific grain however every time adjust one it adjusts all the others. very annoying

You see, that is how the percentage of 100 works.

If you take 10% of one thing and increase it to 12%, that changes the balance from 90% to 88%.

It's to do with the three R's.

what i meant was can i adjust the percentages manually to then reflect how much of a specific ingredient i will need in either pounds or ounces.

Beer alchemy has this little feature where all you basically have to do is add all the grains you want for a given recipe then you just input whatever % you want for each grain to get you to that 100% then pop in a desired OG and it gives you all the amounts needed.

im looking to see if this can be done in beersmith

what i meant was can i adjust the percentages manually to then reflect how much of a specific ingredient i will need in either pounds or ounces.

Beer alchemy has this little feature where all you basically have to do is add all the grains you want for a given recipe then you just input whatever % you want for each grain to get you to that 100% then pop in a desired OG and it gives you all the amounts needed.

im looking to see if this can be done in beersmith

Ahhhh. IIRC, you use the lock ingredients button or the gravity tool. Sorry, I don't have BeerSmith with me and never make these kinds of adjustments. But, the ability is there. I'd look in the conversion tools from the top tool bar.

Yes, this is very easy to do in Beersmith. Just pick your batch size, then enter your percentages of each grain in pounds. For example, 95% two row and 5% Crystal 40 would be:

95 lb Pale Malt (2 row) US
5 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40 L

Ignore the Original Gravity Estimate.

Now, from the menu choose Actions --> Adjust Gravity. Enter in the target OG, and voila!

Yes, this is very easy to do in Beersmith. Just pick your batch size, then enter your percentages of each grain in pounds. For example, 95% two row and 5% Crystal 40 would be:

Now, from the menu choose Actions --> Adjust Gravity. Enter in the target OG, and voila!
^^^^^^^

What the fish said.

Anyone else picture that singing "Heerz a li tle song I rote.....Don woorah"

Great tip Flyguy. This should be a part of a Beersmith sticky.:mug: I like finding gold in the older threads so bump..

Back