Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
is a wonderful thing. I lurked on this forum for about a week after finding it via searching for some info to help me figure out why my IPA was lagging more than expected, and then again I was looking for something and found this thread when searching for info on M-3008 marked carboys, so I figured it was time to register. I hope I can contribute.

is a wonderful thing. I lurked on this forum for about a week after finding it via searching for some info to help me figure out why my IPA was lagging more than expected, and then again I was looking for something and found this thread when searching for info on M-3008 marked carboys, so I figured it was time to register. I hope I can contribute.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks everyone. I (like a surprisingly large amount of people) started with a Mr. Beer kit and made mostly terrible beer. Not sure if it was that the liquid malt extract was old or not, but I can state that the fermenter came with a compliment of five or six dead spiders in it. So, be that as it may, I decided it'd be fun to get a proper kit, so I waited until I could find reasonably inexpensive carboys for fermenting (read: free), and I think I spent around $150 to make the first batch, with all of the supporting equipment such as a 26qt kettle, auto siphon, hydrometer and other assorted items, and a Brewers Best kit.

Anyway, haven't tasted any of them yet, but I bottled the Red Ale on Sunday, and the West Coast IPA should be ready to rack to the secondary today or tomorrow. Also, a plug for John Palmer's book. It is a great read.

Fresh liquid malt extract is not good either. I've heard old LME is even worse. I had to switch to whole grain after brewing about 8 kits. I actually thought some piece of equipment must be contaminated and ruining every batch because I kept getting the same off flavor. I finally took sample bottles of 4 different brews into my LHBS owner and he said there was nothing wrong with it. That's just the taste you get from LME.

Fresh liquid malt extract is not good either. I've heard old LME is even worse. I had to switch to whole grain after brewing about 8 kits. I actually thought some piece of equipment must be contaminated and ruining every batch because I kept getting the same off flavor. I finally took sample bottles of 4 different brews into my LHBS owner and he said there was nothing wrong with it. That's just the taste you get from LME.

I've heard a lot of opinions that counter that, but I guess "your mileage may vary" still applies!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've heard a lot of opinions that counter that, but I guess "your mileage may vary" still applies!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

My extract days were full of _very_ mediocre beer. Things changed dramatically when I got started with grain. However, there were gross changes to my process at the same time that I assume made the difference, but I really don't know.

I hope to move to all grain at some point, but that requires more space an expense than I can afford right now, and I figured that if I still want to brew all grain after batches of extract. Just ordered some rhizomes too. We'll see how that works out.

There is a certain flavor present in extract. They say some people can taste it and some can't. Just a matter of DNA. If I couldn't taste it, I imagine I would still be brewing extract. I made some really good beers but every one had the same strange flavor in it.

Back