Beer with pop like fizz.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
My beer has soda pop type fizz and zero head. I've brewed 4 different 1 gallon kits from northern Brewer. All the kits come with fermenter fizz drops. Are my beers over carbed and that is causing this issue? The beer taste pretty good.

Is your beer carbonated or do you only get the soda pop fizz on opening the bottle? Fizz on opening only, may mean longer and warmer bottle conditioning time.
Soap can keep the head on a beer from forming. Is it possible your glassware has soap or dishwasher spot remover on them? Do you use soap for cleaning brewing equipment and have introduced soap residue into fermentor, bottling bucket, or bottles?

Good head retention is primarily a function of proteins. Proteins are mostly a function of grain bill and mash schedule.

Overcarbing alone wont cause this problem.

Good wiki on subject here: http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Head_Retention

Were these extract kits?

You can add a little CaraFoam to any receipe with no real effect on taste or color, but it will increase body & head retention.

Is your beer carbonated or do you only get the soda pop fizz on opening the bottle? Fizz on opening only, may mean longer and warmer bottle conditioning time.
Soap can keep the head on a beer from forming. Is it possible your glassware has soap or dishwasher spot remover on them? Do you use soap for cleaning brewing equipment and have introduced soap residue into fermentor, bottling bucket, or bottles?

The beer is still young only 14 days in the bottle. It's not on opening only. I notice the pop like fizz when I pour it in the bottle., and leaves zero head. Bear taste good and had carbonation. I do use oxy clean when cleaning bottles and fermenter, maybe im not rinsing good enough as you have suggested.

Good head retention is primarily a function of proteins. Proteins are mostly a function of grain bill and mash schedule.

Overcarbing alone wont cause this problem.

Good wiki on subject here: http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Head_Retention

Were these extract kits?

You can add a little CaraFoam to any receipe with no real effect on taste or color, but it will increase body & head retention.

Yes, these were 1 gallon extract kits.

IT could be the oxyclean, but give this beer two more weeks at 70°F to 75°F to see if there is a change. Salt scrub and rinse one of your beer glasses also to see if this makes a noticeable change in head retention.

Check out the simplest remedies first.

I would bet money it is the NB fizz drops. I used them and had soda fizzy beer. The bubbles when pouring sounded exactly like pouring a soda and disappeared very quickly. The beer was very carbonated like soda. I removed them on the next recipe and it was gone. I started a thread a while back asking others for their opinion on them and most were unfavorable. My sanitation process is borderline insane, so it was not from infection. The drops are the issue. But don't trust me, buy another kit, use priming sugar calculated at the correct amount for what you have in your fermenter and the problem will disappear...see for yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would bet money it is the NB fizz drops. I used them and had soda fizzy beer. The bubbles when pouring sounded exactly like pouring a soda and disappeared very quickly. The beer was very carbonated like soda. I removed them on the next recipe and it was gone. I started a thread a while back asking others for their opinion on them and most were unfavorable. My sanitation process is borderline insane, so it was not from infection. The drops are the issue. But don't trust me, buy another kit, use priming sugar calculated at the correct amount for what you have in your fermenter and the problem will disappear...see for yourself.

I hate to hear this as I have 3 other batches bottle conditioning now, all of which used these fizz drops. All northern Brewer 1 gallon kits come with them.

Unless your sanitization process is terrible and you are getting bacteria or wild yeast, it is most likely those drops. All is not lost with the others conditioning. Those should prove or disprove the drops as the issue. It is something with those drops that causes the soda fizz issue. They really ruined the batch I made with them.

Think about this as an experiment. You have the control group (the fizz drop bottles) now brew another batch and use priming sugar, using a priming sugar calculator (look one up online) to calculate the amount you need and see how they turn out using that method. Let us know how it turns out. I am interested to hear the results.

My first batch had that same problem with the Cooper's carb drops @ week 7. I built a bottling bucket & started bulk priming with dextrose, sometimes sucrose (table sugar) & the problem went away. Here's a couple priming calculators I've been using over time; http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
The one from NB sometimes has a style listed the other one doesn't. so cruise both when priming to a particular style to find the one you're doing.

Back