Beer/wine hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I am posting this in two places to see where I get comments

I am thinking about making a blueberry wine/beer hybrid by using a wine recipe but substituting DME for sugar, but a lesser amount. Here is the basic plan:

3 lbs frozen blueberries
1 lb Amber DME
8oz 60L crystal malt (steeped)
water to 1 gal

Not sure what yeast I would use, still thinking about that one. But I would love to hear any opinions about this. I also posted this in the wine forum because I am not sure where it belongs.

I am posting this in two places to see where I get comments

I am thinking about making a blueberry wine/beer hybrid by using a wine recipe but substituting DME for sugar, but a lesser amount. Here is the basic plan:

3 lbs frozen blueberries
1 lb Amber DME
8oz 60L crystal malt (steeped)
water to 1 gal

Not sure what yeast I would use, still thinking about that one. But I would love to hear any opinions about this. I also posted this in the wine forum because I am not sure where it belongs.
I was at dogfish head in Rehoboth Beach last spring and they had a porter that was blended with a muscadine. I don’t know if it was specifically brew that way or actually blended (not sure the Puritan law there) but it was very good.

If I were you, I’d find a blueberry wine you like and get some bottles of different beer styles and just blend them in a glass to see which profile you prefer and then try to dial in a ratio. From there build your recipe

I read a couple of years ago that a big thing amongst craft brewers in Italy is a "grape beer" that sounds like what @Dgallo is talking about. They tend to be based on porter or stout, and the beer wort is blended with grape juice before fermentation. I don't recall what they call it.

I read a couple of years ago that a big thing amongst craft brewers in Italy is a "grape beer" that sounds like what @Dgallo is talking about. They tend to be based on porter or stout, and the beer wort is blended with grape juice before fermentation. I don't recall what they call it.

Yeah, that is kind of where the inspiration came from. I have lots of fruit in the freezer from last year and I've got more than enough wine, so I am trying to find other options. Probably still 10+ lbs of blackberries and raspberries. Plus I still have two, 1 gal bags of blueberries and three 1 gal bags of muscadines.

Back