Beer went from clear to cloudy in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayvillebrew

Reaction score
Hi! I brewed a wee heavy that has been aging in secondary for about 2 months. After about a month I took a sample and it was crystal clear. A month later I took a sample and it clouded up. It tastes fine, about 8.5%. The only change is that the temp in my basement increased over the last few weeks fro mid 60s to mid 70s. Any thoughts? I never saw clarity go in the opposite direction. My only thought is as the beer warmed, yeast went back into suspension. I used 1728 Scottish Ale.

Thank you!

Hi! I brewed a wee heavy that has been aging in secondary for about 2 months. After about a month I took a sample and it was crystal clear. A month later I took a sample and it clouded up. It tastes fine, about 8.5%. The only change is that the temp in my basement increased over the last few weeks fro mid 60s to mid 70s. Any thoughts? I never saw clarity go in the opposite direction. My only thought is as the beer warmed, yeast went back into suspension. I used 1728 Scottish Ale.

Thank you!

I think your yeast might have woken up as you guess. Another possibility is a protein haze that's buoyancy is temperature dependent. Either way, I bet it clears when you crash/chill it!

Back