Beer tolerant materials - newbie help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarvgd

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and about to start brewing beer. The idea is to make mesh tun and kettle at home. I have found old keg and pierce the hole for valve and necessary elements to fix valve to keg , but I have realized that I don't know to what materials is beer tolerant. I can buy valves made of next materials:
-brass
-nickel
-zinc

Which should I buy?

Also I need something to stop wort from leaking between keg and valve. What materials can I use for this?
The filter for wort I am thinking to make like this. I this ok, will it harm beer?

Please keep in mind that I do not have any brew shop, but only local water and heat system shops.

Brass is ok for valve. You should treat with vinegar first, according to an expert. This will help make the harmful stuff less harmful.

Homebrewers in the US prefer Stainless Steel, but it's not a requirement. I have not seen nickel and zinc valves here, so I assume they aren't considered safer than brass.

In any case, you would want to use silicone O-rings to seal the valve assembly. If you can't buy a bulkhead fitting, then it's possible to assemble a similar thing with large washers drilled out so the valve shank will slide through.

Hi guys!

From my understanding brass contains copper and zinc, however it can contain small parts of lead. In my country (Serbia) it has been used for drinking water. Unfortunately I cannot easy access to Stainless Steel materials valves because they are very rare here.

Thanks for your time and effort. :)

Cheers!

I think one of the appendixes in the back of "How to Brew Beer" by John Palmer covers this.

Brass does contain some small amount of lead. In water, it's ok. In certain kinds of water, it's not ok. In Flint, Michigan, for example, the water system was changed to allow water from a different source, which leached lead from the pipes and into the drinking water.

In brewing, it's not a major concern, since the amount in contact, and the amount of contact time, is minimal. Plus, you would want to "pickle" the brass, as stated by John Palmer in his online book www.howtobrew.com. This will help prevent the lead from being taken up by the wort.

The small danger of lead in brass fittings is one reason brewers here prefer Stainless Steel. Plus SS is more resistant to cleaners, and stronger.

Back