Beer Tasting Organization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etu001

Reaction score
Hi all,

My friends and I are working on starting a beer tasting organization. Basically, we would present beer styles and their history to an audience for a fee. We would not have a permanent location at this time, but our business would be primarily conducted in NYC.

Does anyone know what type of licensing would be required? I would also assume we should form an LLC and get liability insurance. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I don't really know the market for that, but if there is one, best of luck.

However, I would strongly caution you against selling alcohol. Give the organizers a list of beers to bring, and sell yourselves as educators, not providers of beer. You get into a lot of legal issues (and licensing) when you're providing beer for a fee.

Cool idea, but sounds like what most good beer stores do for free

An interesting idea, depending on the fee and the market for this. I wouldn't drop the ol' life savings into this one but if you're looking for a fun business idea that may (or may not) make you some cash in the future I say go for it. Seems like something that could be done at a homebrew shop, a liquor store or maybe even a brewery if you can pull it off. Then again, most of these places more than likely have someone that could do this who is already on the payroll.

If you did want to do such a thing, I think you'd want to be certified to be taken seriously:

www.cicerone.org/

BJCP and lots of brewclubs also have lots of programs that are pretty close to what you're describing!

My brewclub provides the service you describe about once a month for free!

If you were to charge, I assume you would have to have licencing to sell beer, which in most states requires a retail location. You can't just schedule a seminar at the Hilton and charge for beer.

If you were to charge, I assume you would have to have licencing to sell beer, which in most states requires a retail location. You can't just schedule a seminar at the Hilton and charge for beer.

Hmmm, or maybe not.....
There is a liquor store nearby that has a wine club with bimonthly wine tastings at a Hilton Hotel. They charge a membership fee of something like $75 and you get to come, try wines, get lectured by the producers and snack on appetizers. So maybe there is someway to do it like that???

I do like the idea of getting certified and I've talked to my partners about it.

We are really aiming to hit the "beer curious" market, people that like beer but really don't know what like or what they are drinking. We feel that there are plenty of people who love be able to look at a beer menu and go
"Oh, I know what blonde ale is."

We are not currently aiming to sell our services to people that looking for a horizontal tasting demonstrating the difference between CA IPAs. If you are in a brewclub, you are already out of our market.

We feel the first group would pay for this service just as many people pay for wine and food classes in NYC.

Suggestions are more than welcome!

Suggestions are more than welcome!

Get a lawyer well versed in alcohol laws. There are a lot of conflicting laws on the books when it comes to taking money and providing alcohol. Cover all your bases there first.

Hmmm, or maybe not.....
There is a liquor store nearby that has a wine club with bimonthly wine tastings at a Hilton Hotel. They charge a membership fee of something like $75 and you get to come, try wines, get lectured by the producers and snack on appetizers. So maybe there is someway to do it like that???

Because if they are a liquor store, they already have a liquor license to sell. I don't know what sort of licenses would be required (package store, serving, etc) but a liquor license would be required for sure if you were selling/charging for the class.

Back