beer taps for keggerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmanuec

Reaction score
Hello all. I just bought a chest freezer to start building a kegerator. I was wondering what is a good place to get the faucets from and how much should I expect to pay for them. I am planning to start with 2, and probably expand later to 3 or 4.

Thanks for your advice.

The vendor section has a lot of different places to buy kegging gear. I went with Birdman Brewing for my setup. I felt like they had a good price for Perlick 525SS, which I wanted as opposed to rear-sealing faucets.

Just about every brew shop carries faucets nowadays. Do yourself a favor and skip the cheap rear-sealing plated faucets and go with stainless steel forward-sealing faucets like Perlick 525's or Ventmatics. I just ordered some Ventmatics from CHI Company for about $35 each. Adventures in Homebrewing had a good price on 525's. Price-wise anywhere in the low to mid 30's per faucet is pretty good. Shanks can vary a lot in price; my LHBS sells 3" plated brass shanks for $25, but I've seen stainless for less online. And like the faucets I'd go with the stainless. I have a couple plated brass shanks and eventually the plating wears off.

Second on the birdman brewing. Ordered some items on a Sunday, had emails and shipping confirmation before the day was done. Great customer service, will order from him again.

I agree with using either Perlick 525ss or the new Ventmatics from Chi Company. Regular faucets stick unless you use them every day, I've had several Perlick 525ss faucets for years and they work great! Buy new ones though and not used. Perlick changed the design on the new 525 SS to make them more durable. They replaced the only plastic part of the faucet with stainless steel, they are smooth and will NEVER stick.

Thanks all for your feedback. Do i need anything else beside the shank and the faucet? What size should the shank be?

emmanuec said:
Thanks all for your feedback. Do i need anything else beside the shank and the faucet? What size should the shank be?

You'll need standard stuff like tubing, disconnects, and co2 cylinder + regulator. Length-wise you might need to do some measuring. I used 3" shanks on the door of my old fridge-based kegerator.

Thanks all for your help. I did some research and the only site I could find that shipped to Puerto Rico was Adventures in homebrewing.

So far, this is what I got on the cart for the beer side:

Black Tap Handle
Part Number 40-1880

- 4 1/8" SS Shank Assembly (Selected the Perlick faucet from the drop down menu)
Part Number 40-3749

- Ball Lock Shank Line Assembly
Part Number 99-0002

Will these be all I need to dispense from the keg on the beer side?
Is there anything else I have missing?

I already have a keg and co2 tank.

Thanks to all again.

When I was piecing together my keezer stuff I actually found some parts on Amazon from different places too. Not sure if any del to Puerto Rico though

VegasJ said:
When I was piecing together my keezer stuff I actually found some parts on Amazon from different places too. Not sure if any del to Puerto Rico though

Thanks. I will try that too and get good use of the prime delivery if available :)

Latest posts

Back