Beer tap locks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
So, I think tap locks are a good idea in some instances, but I can't justify spending $50ea for a lock when I could add more taps for that cost. Plus with multiple taps, the cost adds up.

Has anyone done a DIY tap lock or some other security feature on the cheap?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What exactly is your concern? Children? Pets? Thirsty neighbors?

I had a problem with SWMBO's cat's climbing up on my kegerator and playing with the tap handles. I damn-near buried both of 'em in the back yard after they dumped an entire keg while I was at work.

I looked real hard at the tap-locks for a while, but I agree they are pricey, and with multiple taps it gets expensive quick.

Ultimately I've just started removing the tap-handles when I'm not using the kegerator/having a drinking session. Haven't lost a drop since.

Now if your problem is teenagers or nefarious neighbors, I imagine they are smarter than cats, so the locks may be a necessity. Installing a high-powered laser security grid or hiring a full-time rent-a-cop might be a cheaper option.

Oh my god, I would kill my cats if they did that-but I can imagine two of them up on there doing it. Now I'm worried.

I have a lock out of concern of children living with us part time, but I find it to be a pain and hardly use it. I do if I'm going away on vacation though, but in general, it's one of those expensive items we hardly use.

I might just string some wire between 2 hasps on either side of the taps such that the wire holds the handles in the upright position. That would probably keep out cats, stupid guests, and the like.

So, I think tap locks are a good idea in some instances, but I can't justify spending $50ea for a lock when I could add more taps for that cost. Plus with multiple taps, the cost adds up.

Has anyone done a DIY tap lock or some other security feature on the cheap?

It can be a pain, but why not remove the fluid lines off the kegs and just leave them hooked up to CO2? This option is free, granted that you don't have a dozen different beers you're drinking at any one time.

Oh, and maybe get something off McMaster or at the hardware store to lock your keezer.

I am wanting to place my keezer on my back patio. I live in the country, but in a neighborhood. I don't have a fence beyond my 4' pool fence.

The other day I saw a kid with pellet gun walking through my backyard, and I realized that placing anything outside may be a problem until I get my whole yard fenced.

Also, we have raccoons and ferrel cats. I imagine they may become a problem.

I was picturing 2 boards with holes for the handles and holes for the spouts and a gasp on each end, but I was hoping someone had something else or pictures of what they did.

Have you seen the commercial with mint scented garbage bags? They advertise racoons won't bother them. This may help initially at least. Although it may be a bit of a hassle, lock down the lid after popping the tap lines off the keg. If there is no beer available, the neighbor kids won't even bother to try to steal any.

Depending on your setup, you might be able to craft a locking cover over all your taps as well rather than lock the individual faucets.

If your taps are months on a flat face (such as the kegerator door), what about a design similar to the stocks they lock prisoners in during the middle ages? Only instead of the prisoners head and arms, the tap handles go.

I envision this as a two piece unit, each with half-moons cut into them. One side would be bolted onto the door behind the tap handle, and it would be thick enough so that when the tap handle is closed it sits in the half-moon. the other side would lock over the tap handles to the piece in the back and prevent the handle from being pulled forward.

Man, those have gone up in price since I bought a pair several years ago. I think I paid $30 a piece for the ones that fit (barely) on the ventmatics.

I can understand your concern for wanting tap locks...especially if you have kids! When I was a kid it was all my parents could do to keep my hands off their beer. I have found some tap locks that are under $40. You could check out this one.

I am less worried about my kids. I just thought it would be prudent to lock things up.

I like the prisoner stocks idea. I think I will lock the freezer part no matter what. It would be nice to not have to connect the kegs every time.

I would think that an unlocked tap in your backyard could even be a legal problem if someone got drunk, even if they are not authorized to be in your yard, and wreaked their car, got killed or worse yet killed a child. I would devise a locked cover for the taps. It's just to high of a liability risk not to.

Why not just close off the CO2, close some valves, etc. I'm not sure how many kids understand how a homemade kegerator works and once they pull the taps and get zip, they will likely find another source.

Otherwise sit on the back porch with your pellet gun and keep watch. 😃

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I think we're over-thinking this. Just disconnect the liquid QDs and padlock the keezer lid.

Genius! I have a son, only 2yrs old now, but one day.... I assumed I'd need locks. But a pad lock on the door seems easier, cheaper.

I hope to teach him about beer/alcohol and being responsible, but I'm a realist. Teenagers are gonna get into things. Especially a keg of beer where volume can't be easily measured. I can only image how much beer I would have lifted from my old man if he had a kegerator when I was growing up.

In-line solenoid valves hooked to a Raspberry Pi and controlled by a web app.
Piece o' cake...

Cheers! ;)

I am having trouble finding any reasonably-priced, food-safe solenoid valves for just such an endeavor. Any links?

An old great idea.. (BELOW) BUT - UNSCREWING the TAP HANDLES ► and your BEER is gone !

So far I have seen no way to lock your tap handles EFFECTIVELY without someone being able to jimmywack their way into your BEER.!
→ EXCEPT by buying those Damm $35+ dollars locks per tap..:drunk:

Also show below..!

How do you BIG Guys with many taps keep out kids, neighbors, friends, other friends or customers ???

A N Y . . I D E A S ?

taplock.jpg

image_916.jpg

Here's a link to some stainless steel ball valves for about $18. I'm looking at using these as a way to lock my taps. Apply voltage for about 2 seconds to open and apply voltage to another wire to close. Maybe with an arduino with RFID or maybe with the raspberry pints display. Waiting for delivery now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15120601596...RK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&afsrc=1

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The valve would be interesting. That looks like it would be about the same price as a lock once you buy fittings and a controller, but it would be more convenient if it worked.

Very interested in the electric ball valves. If you do a build thread, let me know.

Back