Beer T.V.Show "Rules of engagement" Gives bad image of homebrewers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was pretty funny, especially the A-B comment. I've used the same home-cooking/restaurant analogy, and then got co-workers to try mine. Shuts 'em up EVERY time !

When the raspberry beer comment was made, SWMBO burst out laughing and looked at me. My response was, "Laugh away. I won't make the Raspberry Wheat for you again." She didn't think it was that funny anymore, lol.

Let it go. Ignorance is bliss. This is an old stereotype and matches the writing quality of the rest of the show. I remember when Mr. Roper brewed his own on Three's Company.

Jack: "What's that stuff floating around in there?"
Mr Roper: "Those are Hops."
Jack: "Ok, what are those things hopping around in there?"

I remember that one too. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. BTW, Jack got pretty looped on Roper's brew, IIRC.

Sorry but I think Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are funny enough to stay on the same channel. That is what I meant by 8-10.

Yeah, I love those two as well! I hate missing them for "House", but my GF still likes "House", even though I believe it has gone down hill. Used to always watch Big Bang and How I met... until they clashed w/ House. (have learned how to pick and choose fights at this point...;) )

SixOTurbo.....Love it! Hahahaa!:D

A friend recently asked me if I brew in a bathtub. I was thinking... why/how on earth would I do that? It was after he tried it and liked it, though.

Really? No one likes Wednesdays on NBC?? The Office, My Name is Earl, and 30 Rock? That's the ONLY time I watch Network TV!

Back to the real topic...I usually get two responses when I tell someone I brew my own beer. 1) Oh, that's cool! I want to try some! 2) What's the strongest you've ever made? Then I have to explain I dont brew for "strength" and then they aren't as interested anymore...

:off:

30 rock is ok but the other two are just strange and not funny at all IMO. Used to like them a tiny bit but that is gone. Sometimes when we can't find anything AT ALL we watch them. Like last week I think we watched The Office and we just looked at each other in disbelief that show is so popular, wasn't funny AT ALL. Actually creeps me out sometimes, I would have to quit my job if I worked there. I'd much rather watch old Andy Griffith reruns than The Office.

I know I will get beat up for that but so what; we all have our tastes in what is funny or amusing.

I have to say I'm disappointed with this 'bathtub' perception.

I have a friend who is a true hop head and comes across as quite "beer litterate". We were at a pub the other day trying a new IPA. It was Ok at best.
He turns to me and says "it's alright.... reminds me of maybe a homebrew that someone got just about right". He wasn't jabbing at me, but was very sincere. He says he's tasted some 5 different homebrewer's products and is not impressed by any one of them.

Some day I hope to make something insanely good just to shut him up.
Guess I shouldn't take it so personally.

:off:

30 rock is ok but the other two are just strange and not funny at all IMO. Used to like them a tiny bit but that is gone. Sometimes when we can't find anything AT ALL we watch them. Like last week I think we watched The Office and we just looked at each other in disbelief that show is so popular, wasn't funny AT ALL. Actually creeps me out sometimes, I would have to quit my job if I worked there. I'd much rather watch old Andy Griffith reruns than The Office.

I know I will get beat up for that but so what; we all have our tastes in what is funny or amusing.

Blasphemy! :)

The Office is an acquired taste I find, and something that you more or less have to watch on a consistent basis to get the subtle jokes.

I have to say I'm disappointed with this 'bathtub' perception.

I have a friend who is a true hop head and comes across as quite "beer litterate". We were at a pub the other day trying a new IPA. It was Ok at best.
He turns to me and says "it's alright.... reminds me of maybe a homebrew that someone got just about right". He wasn't jabbing at me, but was very sincere. He says he's tasted some 5 different homebrewer's products and is not impressed by any one of them.

Some day I hope to make something insanely good just to shut him up.
Guess I shouldn't take it so personally.

You should brew a beer in your bathtub and give him that. Then when he says it not too good tell him that was probably because you brewed it in your tub and won't try that again. :D

Those are on Thursday. Wednesday is for Lost. :mug:

Good call...I usually DVR them and watch later :)

The Office is an acquired taste I find, and something that you more or less have to watch on a consistent basis to get the subtle jokes.

You are absolutely correct. I work in an office and when I first started watching it half way through season 2 I didnt like it too much. The more I knew the characters and all the inside jokes it was a LOT funnier!

I've never even heard of this show, but it sounds like it was probably funny since we're all offended by it. I'm a Star Trek/Dungeon's and Dragons fan myself, but I still think it's funny to make fun of geeks, whatever they geek out over.

Geeks????
Are we really geeks here?

Ok, Star Wars *NUT* as a kid... liked Star Trek TNG just fine. Played AD&D later. I'm a computer programmer by trade.

Now I'm getting serious about brewing and find out that others here are nerds/geeks. And here I was thinking that by hanging out with you brewers I'd be in the IN crowd. :(

Jebus ch!st......... I see a theme with my life forming here!!!!! :mad:
Guess I should embrace the geekness.

I'm not kidding about The Andy Griffith show either, I do watch it. The thing is with the economy, my job in jeopardy and all the other bad stuff I need something light and funny before I go to bed. Not something that will piss me off or a documentary that makes me wish I was doing something else.

Geeks????
Are we really geeks here?

Ok, Star Wars *NUT* as a kid... liked Star Trek TNG just fine. Played AD&D later. I'm a computer programmer by trade.

Now I'm getting serious about brewing and find out that others here are nerds/geeks. And here I was thinking that by hanging out with you brewers I'd be in the IN crowd. :(

Jebus ch!st......... I see a theme with my life forming here!!!!! :mad:
Guess I should embrace the geekness.

I'm cool if that helps you any. :D

Okay, so I watched the episode last night (after a three course/five beer fondue dinner. Mmm...). It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, especially since last week's was about Jeff being homophobic; you aren't supposed to like the guy. Also, I bet a ton of 'homebrewers' do make ass beer.

The reason I'm still slightly irked is because the view of this hobby, which I so dearly love, is primarily what he was saying. Sure, we all know it's not true, but most people don't and by making that a plot point it's just reinforcing peoples' perceptions. All stereotypes have a grain of truth in them somewhere, but that doesn't mean they need to be perpetuated.

meh... this show went on hiatus and I've not watched it since it came back on. He plays a good stereotype of the jock ahole who's wife really could do better.

Good for a chuckle but I'd rather watch Dirty Jobs or Good Eats.

I would do many unspeakable acts to this woman though...

13.jpg

I'm not kidding about The Andy Griffith show either, I do watch it. The thing is with the economy, my job in jeopardy and all the other bad stuff I need something light and funny before I go to bed. Not something that will piss me off or a documentary that makes me wish I was doing something else.

I'm sure you are. I watched the Andy Griffith Show as a kid and still will watch it if I am flipping through and find it. Great show.

The Office for me is the light and funny thing I like, and seems to be a love it or hate it thing, you seem to be in the latter. Everyone has there own taste and opinion, I won't hold it against you. :D :mug:

Good for a chuckle but I'd rather watch Dirty Jobs or Good Eats.

+1 to that! Like I said earlier, the only "network tv" (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) I watch (actually, DVR and watch later) is NBC Thursday night. I would much rather catch the Discovery chan, Travel, Science, Food...you know, stuff that somewhat helps the mind. I do enough of the mind "hurting" with all the beer I drink!

I'm sure you are. I watched the Andy Griffith Show as a kid and still will watch it if I am flipping through and find it. Great show.

The Office for me is the light and funny thing I like, and seems to be a love it or hate it thing, you seem to be in the latter. Everyone has there own taste and opinion, I won't hold it against you. :D :mug:

The recent episode we watched was the one where the company brought in a manager to oversee needless spending and had a say over Michael. What turned me off was Michael acting like a 4 year old over the situation. Just wasn't funny, kind of creepy.

+1 to that! Like I said earlier, the only "network tv" (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) I watch (actually, DVR and watch later) is NBC Thursday night. I would much rather catch the Discovery chan, Travel, Science, Food...you know, stuff that somewhat helps the mind. I do enough of the mind "hurting" with all the beer I drink!

I like those shows too but I go into technical overload watching too many. I guess being in technical problem solving fields all my life I need something to make me laugh even more. Those are the kind of shows though that don't help me sleep, not good shows for me to wind down the night with. I get all excited or I get bummed out wishing I had taken this or that path in life and was doing those things. I watch a show about the engineering of moving oil rigs down a channel and out to sea and next thing you know I wish I was doing that. I see a show about NASA stuff and I wish I was doing that work again. Gets me too excited.

I am getting hooked on Man vs. Food.

I could see an episode of the show re-done where the all-grain brewers didn't want to go to a party where there would be extract brew.

I could see an episode of the show re-done where the all-grain brewers didn't want to go to a party where there would be extract brew.

Or a homebrewer is going to a party that just serves bud light, and he can say "all they have to drink is swill, you would think Anhueser Busch would know how to make a good beer."

I think it's a lot like many other things people do by themselves.

I will take music for example, im a guitarist that has been playing and composing for over 20 years now, never wanted to make it a professional occupation because i do not enjoy the lifestyle of a musician on the road, but it does not mean i do not take my music seriously.
I do record and put some of my stuff on myspace and such because i just want to share it freely.
I could not envision my life without making music.

Well i think my music and the one of most unknown artists is by far better or at least equally nice as most crappy commercial stuff we get to hear on the radio, still, most people will usually not recognize your talent unless you're a known artist playing on the radio.

That can apply to cooking, dancing, painting, singing, wood crafting and millions of other things, many people do not realize that popularity or celebrity is not a way to gauge talent or quality of a craft.

Anyone watch Anthony Bordain?I watch and see all the spicy and interesting foods he tries in other countries and it makes all our food seem rather bland.Makes me wonder if thats why most americans like bland watery beer.Our tastebuds have been conditioned down into non-existence.

I agree 100% formaly being in the music industry myself being a performer and a recording engineer you learn that most of the mainstream bands have hardly any talent and are a pain to work with in the studio just to even get them to sound half way decent

I will take music for example, im a guitarist that has been playing and composing for over 20 years now, never wanted to make it a professional occupation because i do not enjoy the lifestyle of a musician on the road, but it does not mean i do not take my music seriously.
I do record and put some of my stuff on myspace and such because i just want to share it freely.

Well i think my music and the one of most unknown artists is by far better or at least equally nice as most crappy commercial stuff we get to hear on the radio, still, most people will usually not recognize your talent unless you're a known artist playing on the radio.

That can apply to cooking, dancing, painting, singing, wood crafting and millions of other things, many people do not realize that popularity or celebrity is not a way to gauge talent or quality of a craft.

True. For example; Sammy Hagar's tequila, the guy from Offspring's hot sauce, on and on. I make some pretty good hot sauces but I am sure I could not sell them as well as him and same would go for the tequila. Well first off I would need his money to buy an agave farm and distillery, but even then I could not sell it like he has. Not saying it is not good, maybe overpriced. Could I sell overpriced tequila with my name? No way.

Anyone watch Anthony Bordain?I watch and see all the spicy and interesting foods he tries in other countries and it makes all our food seem rather bland.Makes me wonder if thats why most americans like bland watery beer.Our tastebuds have been conditioned down into non-existence.

Yes, I like his shows.

I've only seen this show once and it was this episode. I didn't get mad. The guy made it in his bath tub, so calling is ass beer was okay. I took it as the emphasis on it being bad because it was made in his tub, not because it was homebrew.
But I have noticed on a lot of other shows they do have the characters drinking craft brews. maybe not something recognizeable by label, but it's not always just clear beer in their glasses anymore! That's good to see.

Yes, I like his shows.

One of his many asshatted statements stuck in my head and I have to use it when describing something stinky.Quote- (Anthony when describing sulfurous gas coming from hot springs.)"It smells like if you were nibbling week old egg-salad off of someones' taint":fro:Hilarious!

One of his many asshatted statements stuck in my head and I have to use it when describing something stinky.Quote- (Anthony when describing sulfurous gas coming from hot springs.)"It smells like if you were nibbling week old egg-salad off of someones' taint":fro:Hilarious!

I think any travel host that gets lit on his show is cool to me. :D

++ No Reservations rocks, makes me wish I still had television.

If you want to watch a hilarious tv reference to homebrew/microbrewing find "The Gang Solves the North Korea Situation" episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I promise, you won't be disapointed.

95% of homebrew pushed off on friends probably is raspberry ass beer.

And I'm betting that in the office of the writing staff or producers there is a homebrewer that they were making light of.

I find the fact that people have got up in arms over this funnier than anything that comes out of David Spade's mouth.

And I'm betting that in the office of the writing staff or producers there is a homebrewer that they were making light of.

I find the fact that people have got up in arms over this funnier than anything that comes out of David Spade's mouth.

I was thinking about this again. The only other option the writers had was to pick something else to make fun of. I mean how funny would it have been if they said "I don't want to go to that party but I will miss the home brewed beer they make, that stuff is really good! You know we should start brewing our own too!" Wouldn't be long before the writers got fired or the show canceled. I am honored the picked home brewing to bust on.

Now if it were a documentary about Budweiser and they said "Home brewers just can't match the quality we can here in our breweries" then maybe then I would take offense.

Watched this show last night and the main macho character tries to get out of going to a party b/c one of the people coming is bringing his"bathtub homebrewed beer" followed by references to "ass beer"and "hair in my beer"and"This guy doesn't think the major brewing companies know how to do it right?"They top it off by the 2'ndary character saying"You've gotta come,now he's putting fruit in his beer--He's bringing a raspberry beer"
When will the ignorance end?I think most people would be shocked if they knew the extremes we went to in order to provide sanitary conditions for our beermaking.

And of course eeeeeeeverything else on TV is portrayed in a realistic manner, right? All the CSI shows on TV are beginning to warp the jury system, because a lot of jurors believe all the technology shown on those shows is real and/or works. I could go on, but we only have 12 billion years or so before the sun expands.

Who gives a crap about TV anyways?

I dont listen to TV very much, more into music, listening to CD's of my favorite bands and myself ( i compose and play music).

TV has always seemed like huge crap to me since youth, and it haven't changed since then.

I got a DvD player, i listen to movies and concerts without TV adds popping out every 45 seconds... that fills my need for entertainment.

Whats going on today on TV?
...hummm... i honestly couldn't say really...

Do i give a crap about it?
...huuu... lemme guess...

Who gives a crap about TV anyways?

I dont listen to TV very much, more into music, listening to CD's of my favorite bands and myself ( i compose and play music).

TV has always seemed like huge crap to me since youth, and it haven't changed since then.

I got a DvD player, i listen to movies and concerts without TV adds popping out every 45 seconds... that fills my need for entertainment.

Whats going on today on TV?
...hummm... i honestly couldn't say really...

Do i give a crap about it?
...huuu... lemme guess...

That is ok if you get your entertainment elsewhere, but TV has a lot more than entertainment. There is news, documentaries, biographies, political disscussions, travel shows about places I would probably never see or learn about if not for TV, and music too. Sometime documentaries on music with interviews with artists. You can learn about hobbies and learn about things you never even thought was out there. So, so much more than what I think you would call dumb sitcoms. I don't see all TV as useless crap at all.

That is ok if you get your entertainment elsewhere, but TV has a lot more than entertainment. There is news, documentaries, biographies, political disscussions, travel shows about places I would probably never see or learn about if not for TV, and music too. Sometime documentaries on music with interviews with artists. You can learn about hobbies and learn about things you never even thought was out there. So, so much more than what I think you would call dumb sitcoms. I don't see all TV as useless crap at all.

I get all this and more from the Internet... Youtube, myspace (real life musicians), online news and such...
The only downside thing to all of this... i get to choose what i wanna know about, and when i wanna know about it... one thing i might miss is the huge add blasting though... life is so hard without a dumb TV mind controlling tube cannon set.

I get all this and more from the Internet... Youtube and such...
The only downside thing to all of this... i get to choose what i wanna know about, and when i wanna know about it... life is so hard.

So you can watch the History Channel on the internet? I did not know that.

So you can watch the History Channel on the internet? I did not know that.

Everything can be found on the Internet, you just gotta know how to operate a computer though...
That can indeed be a culprit, cause about 80% of the people owning a computer today dont know **** about how it works and how powerful it can be when you get to know how to really use it.
Sorry if you are not one of the few.

Back