Beer Surplus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
So I just realized that I almost have too much beer in my 2br apt. right now. I cant fit all the bottles in my closet and now there are boxes of em' sitting around wherever there is room. How long do homebrews in bottles usually last before they go "bad?"

what's the temp in there?

depends wholly on the temperature and the type of beer. Barleywines and imperial stouts can age for years if it's not too hot. Hefeweizens, et al, on the other hand, will be lackluster in a matter of months.

Sounds like my present situation. I just bottled a batch on Monday, and counted how many full bottles I had after bottling that batch. I now have around 270 full bottles (75% of them are 12 oz bottles, 25% of them are 22 oz bombers). Plus I started another 5 gallon batch on Monday, and I have 4 gallons of blueberry pomegranite cider going too. So I have around 30 gallons of beer bottled, plus 9 gallons fermenting, and I live in an 800 square foot, 1 bedroom condo.

I know the feeling. I'm working hard to fill this puppy back up before it gets hot in Austin.

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

it's an old pic, but here's what I have in it now.

10 gallons Haus Pale Ale
10 gallons IPA
10 gallons Robust Porter
5 gallons GAIS (German American Imperial Stout)
15 gallons Apfelwein

I am sort of in the same situation. I am out of room to put beer. I have all (4) of my kegs full. Well not full, but with beer in them. Two of them are completely full.

My secondary full

and my two primaries full.

I cant brew until I get a keg free, then I can get the secondary in there, then one of the brews in primary can go to secondary.

I am currently in the opposite situation-- not enough beer! I don't brew enough to keep a stock of a lot of beer, and I'm always pissed that I dont' have homebrew around when I want it... but I'm trying to correct this. I'm getting four more kegs to complement the three I already have, and plan on having six of them filled by the end of May (three will be full this weekend).

Kegs are much easier than having millions of bottles. :)

I'm calling shenanigans, no such thing as a beer surplus! If you really need to make room, just share some beer with your friends! I'm sure some of 'em would appreciate the occasional sixer. :mug:

I've got 288 bottles of beer and Apfelwein lying around in a closet (none of it ready to drink...) plus two batches in secondary (one to be bottled this weekend, the other just started this past Sunday) and two wine batches on the go (probably a third one by this weekend).

My family and friends think I'm opening a microbrewery...

Im trying to get into that boat soon though I do have 763 bottles of wine in my wine cellar and another 38 gallons of various wines bulk aging. This is why its time to make beer as I think I have enough wine!

mrfocus said:
I've got 288 bottles of beer and Apfelwein lying around in a closet (none of it ready to drink...) plus two batches in secondary (one to be bottled this weekend, the other just started this past Sunday) and two wine batches on the go (probably a third one by this weekend).

My family and friends think I'm opening a microbrewery...

Yeah you know you have a problem when you bottle over 250 bottles in a day!
That's our plan for Saturday anyway!:mug:

Evan! said:
what's the temp in there?

depends wholly on the temperature and the type of beer. Barleywines and imperial stouts can age for years if it's not too hot. Hefeweizens, et al, on the other hand, will be lackluster in a matter of months.

Well lets see, it is always a cool 70 in my apartment. The beer, well just look at the ranges in my signature, theres no good way to describe them as a whole. I am going to bottle AGAIN tonight i think, so that ups my bottle count 50 more! gah! what an awesome problem to have ay?:drunk: What if I refridgerate them all? would they last longer then?

Anyway, I plan on starting my alcoholism this week, see ya in AA! :rockin:

Oh, and to everyone else, I am in no way complaining! :cross:

For good measure :ban:

Throw a party, I'll be sure to relieve you of some of your overstock, heh. We U of Illinois students should throw a homebrew tasting sometime.

I'm with Laurel and Wade: Working hard to have this problem. I've got two tapped cornies in the keezer. 4 more empty cornies on the way. An orfy's mild mannered ale that's ready to keg when they get here. A bee cave haus pale ale brewed last sunday that should be ready to keg when they get here too. 5 gal of apfelwein that's been going 1 week and ingredients on hand to do a hefe this weekend.

5 taps flowing by 4/18 (unless the current two kegs die before then!)

AndrwHock said:
Throw a party, I'll be sure to relieve you of some of your overstock, heh. We U of Illinois students should throw a homebrew tasting sometime.
indeed this sounds like a good idea. I've got 10 gallons committed.

Shame on all of you.........my first batch is still in primary and your crying about having too much?

To much is always better than not enough.

I'm fermenting my second batch now, so I'm still a ways off from building my beer empire.

:D

I'm good with ^that^. I eschew needless thread proliferation :mug:

But I can't relate to the problem. I had all 16 kegs filled two weeks ago but still had one ferm fridge available so I brewed up 10 gallons of kolsch that can lager 'til some kegs kick...

Cheers!

I'm good with ^that^. I eschew needless thread proliferation :mug:

But I can't relate to the problem. I had all 16 kegs filled two weeks ago but still had one ferm fridge available so I brewed up 10 gallons of kolsch that can lager 'til some kegs kick...

Cheers!
Thanks now i do not feel so bad with 9 kegs

Latest posts

Back