Beer snobs SUCK!!! (rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eye of the beholder, imo. I love DFH's Aprihop to no end, and absolutely despise their Palo Santo Marron. Does it mean they've lost their way because they made something I didn't enjoy? Absolutely not. Bigger craft brewers (and even BMC brewers to a point) are still brewers no matter how you look at it. They make products they enjoy and let the public decide whether or not they'll continue to buy them.

This is a society problem. A snob is one who knows what he likes and thinks that everyone else should like the same thing or else they are idiots, and then lets them know that they are idiots. This applies to clothes, cars, schools, music, ...... and beer. What happened to being a civil society and expressing your likes and interests without demeaning others? Is this b/c of a severe inferiority complex that you need to make yourself feel better by making others feel worse?

I'm sorry, I prefer my beer, like some made by others, have a few OTC beers I like, but will drink just about anything to be able to enjoy the company of my friends as we enjoy life. No snobbery allowed. :mug:

Eye of the beholder, imo. I love DFH's Aprihop to no end, and absolutely despise their Palo Santo Marron. Does it mean they've lost their way because they made something I didn't enjoy? Absolutely not. Bigger craft brewers (and even BMC brewers to a point) are still brewers no matter how you look at it. They make products they enjoy and let the public decide whether or not they'll continue to buy them.

Age the Palo Santo for at least a year and get back to me :)

I actually love bud light...but would take a pliny over it in a heartbeat. i love beer...all beer...(except shlitz)

--:mug:

LOL I will admit to being a beer snob (and music snob.. oh don't get me started!) ... BUT...

I drink Leffe when I'm too cheap and lazy to go to the snobby beer store
I drink Presidente on hot summer days when I don't want to be passed out and dehydrated by 8:00
Not all mass produced beer is yuck water.

I just know what I like, and if I'm going to consume beer calories I figure I might as well do it on "Vosges" vs. "Hersheys".

I don't diss my hipster friends for diggin their PBR - it's their choice. :)

As for the SA expanding at the cost of taste, I encourage you to try this years SA Summer Ale and compare it to years past versions of it…nuf said. (again there is a specific thread just for this...) :mug:

I have noticed this very phenomenon and just thought it was my palate expanding to newer flavors out there. I have friends who I have introduced to some bigger flavors as of late, and this beer has slipped from a favorite to "comfort food" status, An old "stand-by" among us all. We were all talking about it, but just thought it was a personal thing.

Glad to see We're not alone!

That being said, SA has really done a ton to grow the Craft Beer in America, whether by inspiring people or actually sponsoring contests, etc. to get peoples creative juices flowing.

Not trying to build them up, I rarely but SA, but I'm just sayin'.

You are still missing what he was saying. It has nothing to do with beer. It could be any person who shuns anything because it is "cool" to like something nobody knows about. It gives a person a sense of superiority and makes them look like an ass.
It would be like hating on Built to Spill because the signed with Warner.

not exactly i didn't miss the point i was only augmenting it with my thoughts and if anyone else agrees thats cool and if they dont thats fine to. just voicing my opinion like everyone else. hopefully someone knows what i mean and that none of these points gets lost in translation/interpretation.

Meh...the OP tried using Dunkin Donuts vs Starbucks (or Krispy Kreme for that matter) as an analogy. Especially when you look at demographics, it's interesting to see donut preferences. Boston seems saturated with Dunkin Donuts. I'm originally from NC, so I see Krispy Kreme as having the best donuts. With coffee, I think both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are expensive: I go with Kroger coffee.

It all boils down to personal preference....whether that has been tainted by advertising or not. I personally like some Sam Adams products....I like their lager, but their black lager isn't as good as McSorley's. I personally feel that Dogfish's IPAs are over-rated, but that's me. I realize everyone has their own preference.

I'm originally from NC, so I see Krispy Kreme as having the best donuts.

Man, is your mind going to be blown when you have a real donut.

If there was ever a perfect BMC/Craft Beer comparison it would be Krispy Kreme vs any other donut maker in the world.

If there was ever a perfect BMC/Craft Beer comparison it would be Krispy Kreme vs any other donut maker in the world.

eh....ok, I give....what's a better donut over the usual bigger donut franchizes that everyone knows(Donkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, etc)??

I seriously mean it guys and gals. Dont get me wrong, I crack a joke at people who drink BMC all the time. I usually mean it as a joke though and not a shot at someone to be mean or rude. I am not talking about BMC drinkers though.
I am talking about people who wont even drink beer from great beer companies anymore because they are on tv, or advertise or they are growing all over.

Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Harpoon, Stone, Rouge, Dogfish, ect...
So many people here talk about this beer and that beer but when it comes from one of the big brewereis out there they turn there head and talk like they are better beer drinkers then me or you because we like the brews that come from most of those companies. Hahahahahaha, that is the biggest load of ******** I have ever heard. To me these "beer snobs" will only drink dark brews with labels on them you have never heard of before because they want to feel different.

I was talking to someone the other day and he told me that he felt that Sam Adams is just one step up from BMC. You have to be kidding me right???
Another person told me that Sierra Nevada puts out very weak brews and they are just not enough for his taste. WHAT??!! The last guy told me that Dogfish Head has no idea what they are doing and are not a real brewery. Hahahahahahahaha what a moron!!!

I as others do buy all those brews that we see in our fine stores that I have never seen or heard of before. I for one though will never put down the bigger craft brewers out there. Mose of the big craft brewers still make wonderful beer and will keep doing this.

Example...
I live outside of Boston. I like Dunkin Donuts coffee. When you talk to someone who will only drink Starbucks about Dunkin Donuts you gotta here the crap coming out of there mouth. Its as if they drink Starbucks because they want to be different and spend an extra dollar on some coffee. This is how I feel when I talk to a fellow beer drinker about a good beer I had from one of the big craft brewers and they start to go down the line of how this craft brewer has lost there way and how they wont drink the beer they make because its not "different" anymore.

Beer snobs SUCK, yes you do.

- Brian

p.s. sorry about the long rant just had to get it out :)

There are A LOT of beer snobs around. I could only imagine what it must be like to live in the Action-Concord area with the great number of yuppies. For the record wine snobs are a royal pain as well.

When with the fellas after we get out of work, if I still dressed like a human safety cone (neon green and workboots) I'll hammer down the Coors Lights. When out with the crew, I'll drink Amstel Light. When out for Fish & Chips, I'll usually accompany it with Guinness or Bass Ale or any other semi-decent ale. When visiting family we'll do a tasting session a lot of times: Buying a whole slew of different commercial beers and drink them side by side. When I am at home it's homebrew of course!

I remember a few years ago all of the fellas in the trade unions were boycotting Budweiser because they were apparently "anti-union". I don't know much about that but what I can say about Samuel Adams is that there is a HUGE number of people who refuse to touch the stuff. And, not because it isn't good beer. Quite frankly it is a very, very-well made (much better on draft than in the insipid bottled versions).

The reason why many folks won't touch Sam Adams anymore is because of a little advertising stunt, called the "Sex for Sam Contest," they participated in a couple years back. Where a Virginia couple was awarded a free-trip to the Boston Brewery after having intercourse in St. Patrick Cathedral in New York City.

No matter how good the flavours of their beers, their methods of advertising is about as tasteless as it gets. It doesn't help I suppose that their advertising department using key-word advertising rather than good, down-to-earth, honest methods as well.

The reason why many folks won't touch Sam Adams anymore is because of a little advertising stunt, called the "Sex for Sam Contest," they participated in a couple years back. Where a Virginia couple was awarded a free-trip to the Boston Brewery after having intercourse in St. Patrick Cathedral in New York City.

No matter how good the flavours of their beers, their methods of advertising is about as tasteless as it gets. It doesn't help I suppose that their advertising department using key-word advertising rather than good, down-to-earth, honest methods as well.

yep. this specific stunt is why I won't buy SA products.

And, not because it isn't good beer. Quite frankly it is a very, very-well made (much better on draft than in the insipid bottled versions).

You know we were discussing this the other day, and I almost disagree that it is well made. It is consistent yes, but if you don't know what the off flavor acetaldehyde tastes like, let a bud warm up to 45 or so and taste it. It's in every damn one. It actually is a result of the beechwood chips they use for aging that pull the yeast too quick and don't let it clean up entirely. Yes their super awesome industrial process that turns out a light lager in a handful of days has faults. However at uber cold temps, the flavor is masked so it's technically not an issue, since you're supposed to drink it 1F above it's freezing point. But let it warm up, it's there.

eh....ok, I give....what's a better donut over the usual bigger donut franchizes that everyone knows(Donkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, etc)??

ANY local donut maker and most grocery stores that have their own bakery.

I suppose I can't be that much of a beer snob, Boyfriend just came home from the store with a 6 of Corona Light, a lime, and offered me one (not realizing I'm still drinking my coffee).
When you live with someone who more or less buys and drinks nothing but Bud Light, Blue Moon, budget priced vodka, and on occasion, SA, it's really hard to be a hardass beer snob. (He seems to like Leffe, but because you can't really just slam those back, they seem to evade his radar).

We'll see what happens when my first bactch of homebrew is done :)

Oh.. and on the Krispy Kreme thing - I think that when they became "famous", hyped the heck out of their product, and expanded like mad, they lost their magic. I used to bring KK to my friends in Boston when I lived in the DC Metro area (there was, at least at the time, a shop off the highway near Baltimore).

When they expanded to Boston, there was a line out the door their opening day. A year or so later, they were closing stores. Unfortunately, in Boston, it takes a lot to pry "Dunks" out of the hands of the locals. I don't even think Dunkin Donuts is about the donuts anymore - people just love their coffee.

It's so strange to me, still, after living in this area fo 10 years, how people are so devoted to this product. When I lived in Chicago I used to walk to a Polish bakery down the block from my apartment and buy fresh pastries.... that's some good stuff right there

If I find myself in an area where there's an older Krispy Kreme franchise, I will most likely stop in for a glazed and a cup of coffee... I do love their glazed donuts right out of the fryer.

BMC beer sucks. Sam Adams sucks, purely and absolutely. I really, really do not like Sam Adams, and i'm a beer snob, sure. However, their beer is not that good. IMO it is only one step up from BMC. After all doesn't it get brewed in a miller facility? (could be wrong on that, but i heard they were contract brewed.)

Maybe at one time Sam Adams was good, but it sucks. Plain and simple.

Rogue. Rogue is what got me into brewing in the first place. I have made the trip up there from CA, and I loved the brewery its the best one i have been to, i had a great time. But lets be honest, Rogue makes some awesome brews. But compared to other breweries, they are surpassed in both quality and taste. I'm not knocking on Rogue here, i love rogue beer, however, there are some other breweries i like more (RR, jolly pumpkin, Ale smith).

Dogfish Head.. I kind of lump this into the same category as rogue. Good beer, crazy recipes, and a real passionate brewer testing the limits of feasibility. However, i have only had one or two DFH brews where i was like WOW, this is AMAZING. (world wide stout). However, in practically every style possible, they are surpassed by other breweries(except the crazy stuff).

in response to the original rant, i believe others share my tastes and opinions regarding these breweries, and I at least dont knock them i just realize there are better alternatives out there. And i wont ever turn my nose at them.

Oh yea ... STONE. IMO, the Vertical Epics are just not that good. And Stone beer in general, is probably lumped into Rogue and DFH. To me its just gone down hill or my tastes have changed. But the last time i had an Arrogant Bastard i was looking for the drain. their IPA's have been somewhat rough (though i could have had old bottles), and their RIS is a bit like soy sauce.

So i think the larger breweries who once headed up the craftbeer movement, have just inspired others to do it better.

Just my opinion.

pace, I realize the above is your opinion and as stated isn't full-on snobbery, but a restaurant can still be 5 Star even if you don't like everythng on the menu.
It is true, though that those beers that mblew many of us away have been far syrpasssed in some ways by newer brewers.

Northern land. I agree with you. However, it really depends on what goes into the rating. Taste, is one of the senses, and as such is objective to the taster. I'm not here to tell anyone what is good and what isn't. If you think Coors is the best brew ever, and 5 stars, at least you find something in this world you enjoy.

Quality -- an obvious component to any "star" system. Quality of product is important, which is why i get so pissed when i open up and ale smith or lost abbey and it has NO CARBO. Quality control is better at the bigger guys.

So i do agree that many aspects can go into rating a brewery. But in just looking at taste. i dont think a SA, or BMC can be 5 star -- however, if we are to rate their brewery operations, obviously its 5 star.

edcculus,

I have noticed, that Pliny does not taste the same as a few years ago. RR is my fav brewery too. Also the new batch of consecration not as good as the last batch.

Does that mean its BMC? Absolutely not, however, it cant be denied that as scale is magnified, taste can change somewhat. Its still my top IPA under Alpine Nelson. really nelson IPA's should be reviewed separate.

BMC beer sucks. Sam Adams sucks, purely and absolutely. I really, really do not like Sam Adams, and i'm a beer snob, sure. However, their beer is not that good. IMO it is only one step up from BMC. After all doesn't it get brewed in a miller facility? (could be wrong on that, but i heard they were contract brewed.)

As a fellow Cali resident, I can tell you that the Sam Adams in Cali is not even close to as good as the stuff they get in Boston.

edcculus,

I have noticed, that Pliny does not taste the same as a few years ago. RR is my fav brewery too. Also the new batch of consecration not as good as the last batch.

Does that mean its BMC? Absolutely not, however, it cant be denied that as scale is magnified, taste can change somewhat. Its still my top IPA under Alpine Nelson. really nelson IPA's should be reviewed separate.

About Consecration... You're talking about a wild beer here. Batches will vary, as fermentation with bugs is always going to be tricky. Consecration is still hands down the second best beer Vinnie has produced in terms of sours (Toro 20th being the first in my opinion) and while there have been variations, they're not that great. Batch 003 was better than 001 and 002. Batch 004 is somewhere around where 002 was. Still phenomenal and there is no shift in quality at all, just a variation of a specialized, wild, and blended beer.

About Pliny... The beer is still stupid good. Have the tastes of that beer shifted? Maybe? But so has your palate. I don't think that Pliny is any worse off today than a few years ago, but it now has to compete with beer like Sculpin, and that's tough.

Rogue. Rogue is what got me into brewing in the first place. I have made the trip up there from CA, and I loved the brewery its the best one i have been to, i had a great time. But lets be honest, Rogue makes some awesome brews. But compared to other breweries, they are surpassed in both quality and taste. I'm not knocking on Rogue here, i love rogue beer, however, there are some other breweries i like more (RR, jolly pumpkin, Ale smith).

Dogfish Head.. I kind of lump this into the same category as rogue. Good beer, crazy recipes, and a real passionate brewer testing the limits of feasibility. However, i have only had one or two DFH brews where i was like WOW, this is AMAZING. (world wide stout). However, in practically every style possible, they are surpassed by other breweries(except the crazy stuff).

in response to the original rant, i believe others share my tastes and opinions regarding these breweries, and I at least dont knock them i just realize there are better alternatives out there. And i wont ever turn my nose at them.

Oh yea ... STONE. IMO, the Vertical Epics are just not that good. And Stone beer in general, is probably lumped into Rogue and DFH. To me its just gone down hill or my tastes have changed. But the last time i had an Arrogant Bastard i was looking for the drain. their IPA's have been somewhat rough (though i could have had old bottles), and their RIS is a bit like soy sauce.

So i think the larger breweries who once headed up the craftbeer movement, have just inspired others to do it better.

Just my opinion.

I'd have to somewhat agree with this post. I dont really consider myself a beer snob, I like what I like... and a lot of the beer that I used to think was wonderful I have become bored with and it started to seem one-dimensional and boring. Sam Adams IMO, is not really very good. A step up from the piss-water that is BMC, but I've had 6-8 or so of SA beers and only really liked 1 or 2. The Macro-craft breweries of the Seattle area (pyramid, redhook, etc) are garbage to me. New Belgium got me into the micro-brew scene, I'll drink their beer, they make decent stuff - but its not going to blow me away. Their Ranger IPA was average and very drinkable, Abbey is good, and I'll drink most any of their beers and enjoy it, but I dont go seeking it out, you know? Sierra Nevada makes good beer, they are pretty big, but I feel they have really tried to stay true to making good beers. Torpedo is a prime example... its like 7%alc, full of flavor and they definitely didnt skimp on the hops. For a macro-micro brewery its as good as you can get while still paying 7$ a six-pack.

The Rogue, Stone, DFH type breweries I still love, and get excited when trying their new beers, but even ruination, Bastard, DeadGuy dont blow my mind anymore... Good beers, but expensive for what you get. Their beers may have been the best when they first started brewing, but people are doing bigger and better things (IPA's are the most prime example of this IMO, the best IPA I had tasted 3 years ago is average to me now) I dont know, I'm kindof ranting, but my point is that my tastes have changed over time. I dont think that makes you a snobby-******* if you recognize how bad BMC beers are, and the fact that even DFH can make some bad brews. Bottom line is drink what you like and what you enjoy. IF a local brewery makes beer that you love, support them! My local brewery makes average beers...so I dont go out of my way to give them my business... :( Brew beer that blows me away and I'll buy it! Who cares if someone will snub a BMC, a local brew, or even a Sam Adams because to them it tastes bad?

Yea, I was kind of joking with that comment. I'm an east coaster and have actually never had Pliny before. I have had a Concecration a friend in my brew club bought at liquid solutions though. Great beer.

carnevoodoo,

yea, i understand its a wild ale, i was not knocking the quality of either Pliny or consecration. Just noting that, to my taste buds, this consecration batch was not as good as the last one. Its still amazing. That's in my top 5beers of all time. Variability is the great factor in what makes the wild ales and sours so good.

And with IPA's, its almost the idea that a rising tide will lift all boats. They were the leader and still are, but there are a lot of good breweries producing some sick sick sick IPA's.(sick in a GOOD way!) Ive really grown fond of Alpine in SD. Their nelson and EH are just fantastic beers. But your right, my taste buds have changed, Pliny doesn't blow me away as I have had so many. But its still a damn good IPA(if not the best IMO). I may take detours here and there from pliny, but i always come back!

:mug:

Also, just bought a growler of Citra, from Kern river brewing. Fantastic beer, the hops that are being used in both the alpine and and kern brew (citra, nelson), are new to my taste buds, therefore, just like when i first tried pliny, a light went on.

It is hard to be a beer snob when most people I know aren't even into finer beers, and I get really frustrated because I want to be snobby. Instead, I share my beer with them, get them a little drunk, then they will let me talk all I want about beer brewing. :mug:

Also, it is so fun to grab a few beers I have never tried, and sit down with a close friend or family member, taste each one and just have a good time getting a buzz on.

Just my opinion.

I pretty much agree. Sam sucks.... except for the noble pils. Best beer Sam Adams has ever made and a very good pilsner at that.
I actually have never had a rouge product I enjoyed.. even their attempt at esoteric stuff falls short... or they had a chocolate stout a bit ago that was hoppy and terrible.

I'm still a fan of DFH 60min.

You know what it is about BMC drinkers that just bothers me is?

Most of the time these BMC drinkers, like my friends, scoff at me for anything thats not a bottle of Molson Canadian, Keiths or Bud and are completely unwilling to get their feet wet in anything else, In a world with literally hundreds of different beer styles. Its just dissapointing when someone claims to love beer, but only drink a single beer style when there are sooooo many. What is so scary about trying different beer?

It seems to me like alot of these people who drink these beers but steer well away from microbrews do so more because they drink for the ritual of drinking beer then actually to enjoy the flavour of the beer itself. They like the idea of "having a beer" and the getting drunk aspect of it, but none of them REALLY like the taste of beer, at least this is the way it seems to me. They shy away from anything that actually has a flavour profile, and they cant drink their beer without it being ice cold, and reallly love their "light beer" that has even less flavour. I cant even count the number of times I have heard the expression "this beer is piss warm" from BMC drinkers. THAT IS THE ACTUAL FLAVOUR OF THE BEER UNMASKED BY THE COLD!

The moral of the story is, there are people like most of us here that enjoy beer and everything about it, and the hardcore BMC drinkers who enjoy the "idea of drinking beer". Obviously this isnt completely universal but I think its true in a hell of a lot of situations

I think Pivot is on to something here.

It is hard to be a beer snob when most people I know aren't even into finer beers, and I get really frustrated because I want to be snobby. Instead, I share my beer with them, get them a little drunk, then they will let me talk all I want about beer brewing. :mug:

Also, it is so fun to grab a few beers I have never tried, and sit down with a close friend or family member, taste each one and just have a good time getting a buzz on.

There are plenty of snobs in this town if you ever wanted to talk to beer nerds about beer. Trust me, I know lots.

How about people being snobs to beer snobs/enthusiests?? One of my friends recently posted this as his Facebook status:

8===D said:
Beer is ****ing trashy. In fact, all consumable alcohol is, except for wine. And, although I don't much care for either beverage, I just think it's funny that people try to make beer out to be this eloquent thing, like wine, but really it's just NASCAR vs. Formula One. If you disagree, you're in your Autumn of Denial.

...quickly followed by 30 comments of people citing his ignorance.

I like lots of different beers. In no particular order:

Rochefort 6

Orval

Blatz

Capital Amber

New Glarus Moon Man

Berghoff Prairie Lager

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Augustiner Edelstoff

Ghettoblaster

Paulaner Lager

Fade to Black Stout