Beer sin...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian74

Reaction score
Well I finished my keg of Ommegang Hennepin clone today but was not finished drinking. I had a Miller Lite in the fridge that someone gave me at a tailgate party about a month ago. I had originally planned on cleaning a couple of glasses with said beer but was reduced to drinking it. I can't remember the last American light lager I had...I just want to take this chance to repent for this will never happen again. :eek:

There is a time and place for everything. Two years ago, I waited too long to purchase tickets to a conference championship game for the Chicago Fire. The only tickets left were on the Miller Lite Party Deck, which included vouchers for A couple glasses of Lite. I drank it and enjoyed the experience.

I swore after I graduated the stacked cases of Busch light would be out of my life forever (though I saved all my money up for drinking good beer at the bars). I start my job next week and I had only been drinking good beer all summer, however, last weekend I had to resort to a couple 40oz Old English... I will repent when I get my paycheck.

What's wrong with American lagers? I mean, I can't stand miller lite, but I drink PBR regularly. Tried Bell's lager last night, very enjoyable summer beer, kinda pricey for the style, but hey, that's how Bell's does it.

After Completing the Bolder Boulder 10k they gave away Michelob Ultra as if it was a prize. I passed.

I was bailing some hay last weekend, an american lager seemed much more appropriate while unloading the 5th rack compared to an RIS or a IIPA.
Each variety has its time and place. While in college I worked a contruction job, probably the hardest work I will ever do in my life, at the end of the day the only thing that sounded good was a nice frosted mug of lite beer, 2 hours after work I was itching for something with flavor though.

What's wrong with American lagers? I mean, I can't stand miller lite, but I drink PBR regularly. Tried Bell's lager last night, very enjoyable summer beer, kinda pricey for the style, but hey, that's how Bell's does it.

I also enjoy a PBR every now and again. :mug:

When I was working afternoon shift in the foundry,summer temps in that factory were 140F+. Not to mention 1 layer of cloths under long sleeve,tight weave coveralls with leather spats,apron,& welding gauntlets. Hard hat & tinted safety glasses. I sweated off 10lbs a night in that hell. After 12.5-16 hours,I'd clean up & head for the bar down across from engine plant 1. I'd inhale the first 5or6 mugs of draft lager before slowing down to light a cig.

I swore after I graduated the stacked cases of Busch light would be out of my life forever (though I saved all my money up for drinking good beer at the bars). I start my job next week and I had only been drinking good beer all summer, however, last weekend I had to resort to a couple 40oz Old English... I will repent when I get my paycheck.

nothing wrong with that choice my friend.
you can't go wrong with some OE. However, I like my private stock.....

as long as you know you aren't calling it "beer" you are fine. I actually think it says on the bottle "malt liquor". even they know it's not beer.
which brings up a good question- and not to jack your thread - are there hops in there?

Meh, i think people take this whole idea a little too far.

Sure, i dislike the beer and their business model (all marketing, no product).

But free beer is good beer, in my world. If i'm not paying for it, why does it really matter ? Okay, i won't drink coors light, free or not. I just can't do it. :cross:

Now, the only macro beers i usually pay for are Pabst or High Life.

nothing wrong with that choice my friend.
you can't go wrong with some OE. However, I like my private stock.....

as long as you know you aren't calling it "beer" you are fine. I actually think it says on the bottle "malt liquor". even they know it's not beer.
which brings up a good question- and not to jack your thread - are there hops in there?

Yea it says "malt liquor" on the bottle. So I actually have no idea if it has hops in it... never really thought about it.

Colorado Kool-aid. "It'll set your head on fire and make your kidneys scream" - Johnny Paycheck. Sometimes there's nothing better. Can't stand the light though.

I saw and posted to a thread about whether or not Stella artois was any good, and I was the only one who said I liked it. It never ceases to amaze me how mid grade beers will get relentlessly trashed, and PBR, Coors, Miller, and now even OE 800 have a following of people who will rush to their defense on these boards.

I saw and posted to a thread about whether or not Stella artois was any good, and I was the only one who said I liked it. It never ceases to amaze me how mid grade beers will get relentlessly trashed, and PBR, Coors, Miller, and now even OE 800 have a following of people who will rush to their defense on these boards.

The difference with PBR compared to Stella is that, to me, PBR can be had at a fair price and a fair taste.

Stella on the other hand, sometimes can be very good, but the price at most places is inflated. I'm not gonna pay $5 for a pint of Stella, it just can't compare to other beers in that price range.

However, yes, i will in fact pay $3 for a tall boy of PBR and a shot.

Stella is just not a good beer for the price i see at most places.

Meh, i think people take this whole idea a little too far.

Sure, i dislike the beer and their business model (all marketing, no product).

But free beer is good beer, in my world. If i'm not paying for it, why does it really matter ? Okay, i won't drink coors light, free or not. I just can't do it. :cross:

Now, the only macro beers i usually pay for are Pabst or High Life.

No product? Try and brew one and see how close you get.

Drinking miller lite a we speak on our patio. I have homebrew on tap just inside the door. But it's nearly 100 deg and a good lawnmower beer hits the spot when it's hot as hell.

Stella is like corona for me, if I want a light lager I would rather pay half the price on an American product then twice as much for a usually stale import...even more so if it is bottled and skunked.

The difference with PBR compared to Stella is that, to me, PBR can be had at a fair price and a fair taste.

Stella on the other hand, sometimes can be very good, but the price at most places is inflated. I'm not gonna pay $5 for a pint of Stella, it just can't compare to other beers in that price range.

However, yes, i will in fact pay $3 for a tall boy of PBR and a shot.

Stella is just not a good beer for the price i see at most places.

Couldn't agree more

hell yeah i'll have a PBR and some high life... for some reason regular miller usually doesn't hit the spot as well with budweiser. If i'm out bowling? i'll get a light lager 'cuz it's nice and light, if i'm out in the yard on a hot day? no way in hell i'm drinking a IPA or a stout... lager hits the spot...
if i'm going to be out drinking for quite awhile at a bar? PBR mainly with a few others tossed in...

Germelli1 said:
No product? Try and brew one and see how close you get.

Ugh, that's such a cop out defense. What do they care more about , gimmicks, packaging, commercials, and sales numbers...or the beer.

Yeah I get it, those triple hopped, super frost brewed rocky mountain American lagers are hard to replicate. That doesn't make it a good product.

Ugh, that's such a cop out defense. What do they care more about , gimmicks, packaging, commercials, and sales numbers...or the beer.

Yeah I get it, those triple hopped, super frost brewed rocky mountain American lagers are hard to replicate. That doesn't make it a good product.

Hmmm appealing to a target audience. Running advertiseing campaigns. I guess we should all just go back to the days of being entire self sufficient since every business is existance is evil.

They created a style of beer that is almost impossible to replicate and makes up over 90% of beer sales in the world.

Yeah, sounds like thier product really sucks!

I do a lot of mixing micro and macro beers when I am out with my friends. I usually start off the night with the good stuff, Long Trail, Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams and then move into the Coors Light/Miller Light world. Seems that the less sober I am the less I care about taste haha!

And I agree with you Rivenin, if there is any beer out there that is great after working in the yard, a light lager does the trick every time!

When I was working afternoon shift in the foundry,summer temps in that factory were 140F+. Not to mention 1 layer of cloths under long sleeve,tight weave coveralls with leather spats,apron,& welding gauntlets. Hard hat & tinted safety glasses. I sweated off 10lbs a night in that hell. After 12.5-16 hours,I'd clean up & head for the bar down across from engine plant 1. I'd inhale the first 5or6 mugs of draft lager before slowing down to light a cig.

Not really on comparison with that, but I was the same way after pulling a 24-hour shift as an EMT in metro San Diego...get off work around 6AM, wind my way home on the I-5, pound 3-4 mega-cold ones, spark a few smokes, and pass the hell out.

Never felt more alive. xD

Germelli1 said:
Hmmm appealing to a target audience. Running advertiseing campaigns. I guess we should all just go back to the days of being entire self sufficient since every business is existance is evil.

They created a style of beer that is almost impossible to replicate and makes up over 90% of beer sales in the world.

I'm more of the opinion that they've monopolized the market, while ultimately marketing and manufacturing one style and forcing it down peoples throats; thus pigeonholing American beer drinkers into consuming this one style and thinking that it is the end all be all of Beer.

Sure as a company they are obviously doing a wonderful job and their business plan has cornered the market and they make boatloads of money, as breweries, I feel that lack of competition has made them complacent and they are unable to produce anything with much substance. Hence, instead of being able to widen their stable of beers on their own, they go and just buyout other breweries ( I'm referring to the Goose island acquisition).

On another note, I just found a bud light in my fridge and I'm gonna drink it!

Edit: also, I should add for the record, I'm a full-time hater.

Some beer goes well with certain activities.

For me, wrenching on my cars/trucks always pairs well with super cold PBR. Lots of memories of greasy hands, skinned knuckles and cold PBR.

I am not necessarily too good for the BMC lite but I don't drink it too often. If I go somewhere and that's all that is there sure, why not. The only thing that pisses me off about homebrew is drinking straight out of the bottle... Is not too good that way. Out in the back yard critters tend to jump in for a swim when you have a cup... I can brew a lawn mower tho. No need to run out and grab a case of high life.

Oh snap!

I'm kind of tired of the BMC hate threads to tell you the truth granted I didn't even read the whole thread up to this point. Just because we all like great craft brews doesn't mean we need to be beer snobs and shun the mass produced light lagers. I love great beer as much as everyone else but every beer has it's time and place and if I'm at a party or just want to put more than a few back, the cheapest route is a good ol miller light and for the price, it's not half bad. If someone's opinion is that they don't like the taste of said beer than to each his own but not if it's only because "I am a great beer lover and too good to be seen with that!".

I'm more of the opinion that they've monopolized the market, while ultimately marketing and manufacturing one style and forcing it down peoples throats; thus pigeonholing American beer drinkers into consuming this one style and thinking that it is the end all be all of Beer.

Sure as a company they are obviously doing a wonderful job and their business plan has cornered the market and they make boatloads of money, as breweries, I feel that lack of competition has made them complacent and they are unable to produce anything with much substance. Hence, instead of being able to widen their stable of beers on their own, they go and just buyout other breweries ( I'm referring to the Goose island acquisition).

On another note, I just found a bud light in my fridge and I'm gonna drink it!

Edit: also, I should add for the record, I'm a full-time hater.

I don't think they are complacent at all. There are three companies making very similar products. Their only option is to out market each other. They can't change the recipe drastically to differentiate themselves. Is anyone old enough to remember New Coke?

Hilarious, god forbid you should go into business to make a profit and have to resort to packaging, gimmicks and commercials to do so. Those bastards.:rolleyes:

_

i like a bud or a pbr now and then... but ever since i turned 30 that stuff is a guaranteed headache the next day. i'm talking about having one beer and waking up with a hangover. :mad:

wildwest450 said:
Hilarious, god forbid you should go into business to make a profit and have to resort to packaging, gimmicks and commercials to do so. Those bastards.:rolleyes:

_

Of course that's a choice they can make. And I can choose to deride that choice and drink good beer.

So you were gonna clean out a glass with a beer? How does that work? You were probably kidding, I'm sure, but I'm getting tired of this forced beer snobbery. If you want to hate on MC, hate on them for the WI legislation they helped pass.

I run hot and cold on American light lagers. I usually prefer a good craft or micro brew. Today I was in a golf outing and it was 97 degrees. The Bud Light in the beer cart went down smooth. Depends on the mood.

I'm drinking a miller lite right now despite having four taps of homebrew in the garage. Why? Because I'm in the mood to pound some beer, and I want to stay relatively sober. Besides, I put too much work into those brews to start sucking them back at a rapid pace. And, frankly, I like the stuff. I've only met a few beers I didn't like, but not a single beer I didn't appreciate. It has been awhile since I had an OE though....

I'm heading to the lake for a week at the end of August. I brewed a nice simcoe and amarillo pale ale for that week. I however am going to pick up a couple cases of highlife because when I'm sitting out in the boat and its 90 out, I don't want to be pounding my good pale ale, that is for drinking with dinner and relaxing at night. There aint nothing wrong with that IMO.

I don't get on a soapbox about it but it is perfectly acceptable to hate on BMC as far as I am concerned.

Latest posts

Back