Beer seems to be carbonated after 1 week what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I bottled this last batch 1 week ago, thing is I planned on 5 gal to bottle and ended up with just 4 so I primed ahead for 5, oops, so I figured this batch is going to be overcarbonated. Well I figure I'd try one today and not only is it very tasty it seems the carbonation is spot on after just one week. Now I'm wondering what to do with the rest of the bottles, do I fridge them all to stop the carbonation where it's at or fridge some and let the others go another week and recheck then. It's a pale ale style and its conditioning at 70-72 deg in my closet. Thanks for the advice.

Option two. Chill some and enjoy. In another week chill a few more to check the carbonation level and flavor development. CO2 can be released if they do become more carbonated than you wish.

It might be my imagination, but the few times I've tried to halt conditioning by chilling, the bottles seem to end up overcarbonating anyway, although it may take a month or two.

If they are carbed up, that is to be expected. Most people say "2-3 weeks", but it usually doesn't take that long to carb up. Some of that time is for conditioning.

If the beer is carbed up and tastes great, chill and drink. Repeat. x53.

I'd open a few more. You know, for science. :mug:

If they are also nicely carbed, I'd chill as many as you have room for, and find a cooler place for the rest.

Ok I think I'm going to put 12 in the fridge and let the others sit for a couple days and recheck at the end of the week. Only got 38 bottles out of this batch, but its a def keeper. It's Yoopers APA recipe with a few tweaks and I used Galaxy and FF7C's. On another note I think I undercarbed my first batch which I'm drinking now and that took a def 3 weeks to get to where it needed to be, tasting great now.

"We" suggest three weeks because that is the safest time frame. I've had a 14% carb up in two weeks...and I mean fully. I've had a 10% wee heavy take 5 months. My 9% IIPA is struggling going on week 6.

The idea with the recommendation is that you won't waste bottles on low carbonation, you will give you beer time to mellow, and you won't do that much damage to even a hoppy beer you fear will fade.

As for overcarbination. It happens. It you can deal with it, add some every week. If not, add them all, just note that not every beer may be carbed the same. Just make sure its not so overcarbed you could get bottle bombs

It's probably poison. Box it up, send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you😏

Hold my beer and watch this!

Back