Beer Purchase Suggestions - Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's wrong with Schell's? Love some Firebrick with pizza.

I agree Schell has some nice beers. Maybe not as exotic or over the top as some others, but always good.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Schells, they're in New Ulm and my parents both grew up in Mankato and I was always under the impression they were along the lines of Grainbelt (which they now own) and Hamm's. My dad seemed surprised that I was buying beer from Schells as he generally knows what kind of beer I go for.

One thing I did notice too, we tried a few IPA's from the region, and they all had a distinct flavor to them that I couldn't place, but it's a flavor I haven't noticed in any other IPA before. Almost a musky sweetness.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Schells, they're in New Ulm and my parents both grew up in Mankato and I was always under the impression they were along the lines of Grainbelt (which they now own) and Hamm's. My dad seemed surprised that I was buying beer from Schells as he generally knows what kind of beer I go for.

One thing I did notice too, we tried a few IPA's from the region, and they all had a distinct flavor to them that I couldn't place, but it's a flavor I haven't noticed in any other IPA before. Almost a musky sweetness.

They are a German family brewery, not the typical American brewery. Wish I could get my hands on their first 750ml Noble Star Collection release: Star of the North Berliner Weisse.

Stop at Chicone's on your way out of Minneapolis-St. Paul

http://chiconesliquor.com/

Great selection and you can mix your own six pack/case. They'll have all the beers people have recommended plus one's I haven't seen before.

I suggest the Goose Island brewpub in Lincoln Park for a meal and trying tons of great beers. The brewpubs still get to do and make whatever they feel like post-ABInBev sale. They still do beers that are only available on tap there.

New Glarus is worth going out of the way to visit.

Definitely hit up a Binny's coming through Chicagoland. There are ~15 in the near suburbs depending on whether you want to detour.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Central Waters brewery of Anherst, WI. They are quite a bit out of your way during your trip but there barrel aged beers are incredible. I can highly recommend their Brewers Reserve Barrel Stout if it is available. I enjoyed all of the beers that we sampled at a recent home brew club meeting.

This is a very good brewery. Their RIS was the first of the style I tried and made me fall in love big stouts. They have some fantastic beers.

I suggest the Goose Island brewpub in Lincoln Park for a meal and trying tons of great beers. The brewpubs still get to do and make whatever they feel like post-ABInBev sale. They still do beers that are only available on tap there.

Note that the food there is only kind of meh, and while they do have some good beers (Bourbon County Stout is one of the best in America) the quality is going down after the ABInBev sale. To the point that a lot of their best brewers have left for other breweries. Hell, when Lagunitas announced they were coming to Chicago, they said they wouldn't poach brewers from the locals here, but that any poor souls from Goose were welcome to come join them.

Yeah, haven't eaten there in a while. I like the special releases they do, and have met brewers at assorted festivals. If nothing else, Goose Island is old news here in Chicago. They have to play catch-up now to some of the newer guys, Revolution and Half-Acre especially. Also, the Lincoln Park brewpub is fighting their landlord for a better lease and may in fact close if their rent gets raised.

Point is, it isn't hard to find good beer in this town :ban:

Yep, Hopalicious by the Ale Asylum is awesome. They even have kind of a series of IPAs - Hopalicious, Ballistic, and Satisfaction Jackson. They get bigger and hoppier as you go up the list and they're all really good.
You left out Bedlam. In know it's a Belgian IPA, but it is awesome.

Another vote for New Glarus. Dancing Man and Black Top are amongst the best. Thumbprint IIPA if you can find it. Any of their fruit beers as well if you are into that sort of thing.

If you are going to stop in Madison to eat I would highly recommend The Vintage on Whitney Way. Always a great beer selection.

Cincy17 said:
You all are awesome! Looks like I have quite a bit to search for. I want to get some Surly and New Glarus for sure along with anything else I can find that you all have mentioned. Going to have to make a list from this thread and start searching for where to stop along the route.

If your taking I94 north into Wisconsin stop in Kenosha. It's right on the IL. WI. Border. There is a small store there called Tenutas. They have the best craft beer selection I have ever seen! Along with the best build a six you can find. If you decide to look for it you can ask anyone in town and they will point you in the right direction.

If your taking I94 north into Wisconsin stop in Kenosha. It's right on the IL. WI. Border. There is a small store there called Tenutas. They have the best craft beer selection I have ever seen! Along with the best build a six you can find. If you decide to look for it you can ask anyone in town and they will point you in the right direction.

And there's the Mars Cheese Castle. Good deli sandwiches - they sell craft beer there, but the sandwiches. Mmmmm ... the sandwiches.

JonM said:
And there's the Mars Cheese Castle. Good deli sandwiches - they sell craft beer there, but the sandwiches. Mmmmm ... the sandwiches.

Don't forget the cheese bread and unreal selection of hot sauce!

Latest posts

Back