Beer places in Eureka/Arcata CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffey

Reaction score
I'm visiting the Eureka/Arcata area the next few days. Any HBT'ers in the area able to recommend a good bottle shop to visit to pick up some good craft beers? Hoping to find some Pliny or other great CA beer I can't get in MN.

I'm planning a stop at Mad River Brewing, any others I should visit?

Google is your friend. While you're in Lost Coast Brewery, Google your question.

Anyone have any actual advice aside from "google"? I'm not interested in a list of liquor stores and breweries, I'm wondering which places you would suggest because you think they have good beer or a good craft beer selection.

I would drop in and see the guys at http://humboldtbeerworks.com/ They may have some good suggestions, they are freindly and helpful. Lost Coast is a great place to drop in for a draft and a sandwich. Not sure of any stores that specialize in craft beers. I get down there on occasion but not often.

The northern California coast is a great place to visit. I suggest you see my friends at Six Rivers Brewery. If you stop by let us know what you thought.

http://www.sixriversbrewery.com/

Well, I had every intention of stopping there tonight and having dinner with the whole family. Problem was, first there was no place to park our 25' RV. I noticed there was a spot in back labeled employee only parking. So I parked there and ran in to check if we could get special permission to park there. Then the problem was that when I went in there were about 25-30 people waiting for a table. Not a big deal really. But after about 5 minutes of waiting for a host/hostess to appear I took a walk around to find any employee I could, but there was no one at the bar and the waiters/waitresses I think just didn't have on any uniforms or identifying clothing. Either way I couldn't find anyone to ask if we could park in back. I noticed a few open tables, but with so many others waiting it was pretty clear it wasn't the right timing for me as we had two hungry little kids with us. So we had to pass it up. For a Tuesday night that was pretty busy for a small town like McKinleyville.

The good news was that I found some of their beers at a local grocery store later on. I'm not too keen on English style IPA's which seems to be their thigh. But I really appreciated the Moonstone Porter (nearby Moonstone beach is one of my favorite places in the world, and their Porter did it justice). And I'm looking forward to a bottle of their coffee infused Porter I picked up.

Thanks for the suggestion!

We just left their about 6 months ago. We lived there about a year. One of my favorite spots in town is the Local Beer Bar. They have a decent selection of beer on tap and some bottles. Redwood Curtain makes some really good beer. Lost Coast is decent. You aren't too far from Mad River brewery, Eel River brewery (Fortunate ) and 6 Rivers brewery (Mckinnleyville). The guys at the homebrew shop are awesome and one of them just opened a cidery in town, usually on tap at the Local. If you want a good cocktail there is a little place called the Speakeasy in Eureka.

Well, I had every intention of stopping there tonight and having dinner with the whole family. Problem was, first there was no place to park our 25' RV. I noticed there was a spot in back labeled employee only parking. So I parked there and ran in to check if we could get special permission to park there. Then the problem was that when I went in there were about 25-30 people waiting for a table. Not a big deal really. But after about 5 minutes of waiting for a host/hostess to appear I took a walk around to find any employee I could, but there was no one at the bar and the waiters/waitresses I think just didn't have on any uniforms or identifying clothing. Either way I couldn't find anyone to ask if we could park in back. I noticed a few open tables, but with so many others waiting it was pretty clear it wasn't the right timing for me as we had two hungry little kids with us. So we had to pass it up. For a Tuesday night that was pretty busy for a small town like McKinleyville.

The good news was that I found some of their beers at a local grocery store later on. I'm not too keen on English style IPA's which seems to be their thigh. But I really appreciated the Moonstone Porter (nearby Moonstone beach is one of my favorite places in the world, and their Porter did it justice). And I'm looking forward to a bottle of their coffee infused Porter I picked up.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for sharing geoffey. I am glad you were able to make the best of the situation. Enjoy your trip...and of course the beer!

Back