beer losing flavor after time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GayleHomebrew

Reaction score
Last month i brewed a belgian. Turned out very well, tasted good. But about a week and a half after it conditioning had finished, it was starting to slowly get bitter. At the beginning of the third week, it tasted like most of the flavor had dissappeared and instead was becoming more bitter. Not bad for me as i like bitter, but its been frustrating me. My new kolsch batch, i added some honey to the end and the week it was done it was very sweet. Almost 2 weeks later the honey has mostly vanished and it's not what it was before. Is there anything i can do to help prevent this? Im not secondary fermenting. Is there anything that could have gone wrong in the process to make my beer age this way?

It would be helpful to post a bit more detail on time in fermentaion, time in bottle/keg and IBU's. Honey will be almost completely eatin by the yeast, leaving higher alcohol, not sweetnes or honey "flavor".

Time in fermentation for both was two weeks. Bottle conditioning was 2 weeks. Opened both the day after conditioning was done. The kolsch i should say the honey added a heavy sweetness to it, butterscotch like. But the week after most if not all has depleted. Im using safale 005 i believe

Not sure on the Belgian. A lot of times the spicy phenols don't really come out to play until it has sat in a bottle for a couple of months. I bet it will turn out fine.

As to the honey in a Kolsch, yes the sweetness provided by the sugars will disappear and be replaced by alcohol. You can't prevent the yeast from doing what they were meant to do (unless you kill them in pasteurization). But you will still get some flavor contribution. It's a little more subtle, but it will be there. I've been playing with a similar recipe now in 4 slightly different batches, and it is a winner!

Butterscotch sounds like diacetyl. Are you sure that's not an off flavor that is conditioning out over time? Might get more advice if you post the recipes, fermentation temps ,etc.

Latest posts

Back