beer looses flavor...watery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevenBrewCo

Reaction score
Im an all grain brewer and have converted fridge with 4 corny kegs installed. It seems after about a week of the beer sitting in the kegs, they get a almost watery taste to them. I have a cream ale and an american wheat, and they both just lack that mouth feel. I took a sample into my lhbs and they said it seems almost that my ferment temp was too high, but they stayed at 68 for 3 weeks. Since my hydrometer is broke, i cant give a gravity reading.

Any ideas?

If the beer was fine before, and is now "watery" and has off-flavors (as suggested by the "too high fermentation temperature comment), infection is probably the #1 thing to consider.

really? Didnt think it would make it watery....I talked to the head brewer at black swan and he said i should probably take my corny kegs apart and clean them really well.

really? Didnt think it would make it watery....I talked to the head brewer at black swan and he said i should probably take my corny kegs apart and clean them really well.

Some infections "eat" alcohol and give out vinegar, like aceterobacteri. Lacto will especially cause a thin beer. I take my kegs apart each time one kicks, and then sanitize just before using. It only takes about 5 minutes to take off the posts and clean them well, along with the diptube. Hold up the long diptube to the light and look through it. I did once, and it's enough to make me tear it down and clean it every single time!

Taste like crap to so it must a Bud light clone!!

Thanks for all your help fellas! I l clean them thoroughly next time

Hold up the long diptube to the light and look through it. I did once, and it's enough to make me tear it down and clean it every single time!

Me too! And worse? It dripped in my eye!! I suggest you give it a good shake before gawking up at a light with it! :D

How do you guys clean the diptubes? I just normally soak it in PBW. Is there a brush that will work for cleaning it?

How long have you been kegging? Is this your first CO2 tank? I'd consider some issues with the carbing. Unless you are total slob with keg cleaning I can't imagine more than one tank being that dirty that it is infecting already fermented beer in a cold keezer. Cleaning and tearing down the kegs is a good thing, I'm just not sure that is your problem here.

Back