Beer list for Oktoberfest party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
We have an annual Oktoberfest party and I never quite know what beers I want to serve. I like staying true to German/Oktoberfest beers but 1) a lot of them are lagers (and I don't plan ahead for that) and 2) I like having a bigger variety.

We have a wide mix of craft beer and BMC drinkers so I like to have a little bit of everything. Here are my definites so far (mostly thanks to Ed Wort's recipes):

Oktoberfest Ale
Kolsch
Pale Ale
Hefeweizen
Centennial Blonde
Apfelwein

I typically have room for 9 beers so that leaves room for 3 more. Here are some options I was considering (not all Oktoberfesty but more for variety):

Helles Belles (BierMuncher)
American Wheat (thunderworm's or TwoHeadsBrewing)
Dunkelweizen
Brown Ale
IPA
Another cider (possibly caramel)

What do you think? Style and/or recipe suggestions would be great! :mug:

Another vote for Dunkelweizen. I just sampled mine and imagined it would be perfect for Fall weather. A Dunkelweizen Pumpkin ale could be interesting too.

+1 for pumpkin ale.... Watermelon wheat (dubbeldachs recipe is great).... Altbier.... Roggenbier (my own rhubarb rye is an interesting twist on a roggenbier)

I don't know of your Oktoberfest ale is the recipie BierMuncher lists, but that beer is one heck of a beer for October. I brew it with Nottingham and keep it as low as possible, and it is super clean and enjoyable.

If you decide to go with a cider, check out the caramel apple hard cider recipe on this forum, it is sweet and enjoyed by all.

As for your question, I will go off the board and suggest a stout. You have several easy drinkers for the BMC crowd, a hefe, and a pale ale. Putting a dark beer would be a nice change up, like a chocolate stout or a coffee stout.

Lots of good ideas...as far as some of the ones mentioned, can anyone recommend a good dunkelweizen, pumpkin ale, or roggenbier (sorry jtratcliff, I'm not ready for the rhubarb)? I recently jumped into all grain but don't mind doing a few extract brews if there are tried and true recipes.

The only other restrictions I have are time...I think the party is going to be the first day of the official Oktoberfest (9/19) so basically two months to go from grain to glass. My one concern is with the Apfelwein. It's better with age so I might be pushing it.

I don't know of your Oktoberfest ale is the recipie BierMuncher lists, but that beer is one heck of a beer for October. I brew it with Nottingham and keep it as low as possible, and it is super clean and enjoyable.

I've made BierMuncher's O-fest in the past and always liked it. For this year I decided to make EdWort's version. Hopefully I don't regret it.

If you decide to go with a cider, check out the caramel apple hard cider recipe on this forum, it is sweet and enjoyed by all.

Is this the one you're taking about: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=244656

As for your question, I will go off the board and suggest a stout. You have several easy drinkers for the BMC crowd, a hefe, and a pale ale. Putting a dark beer would be a nice change up, like a chocolate stout or a coffee stout.

I know a darker beer is missing. I made a stout a few years ago and it wasn't a big hit. I actually still have a half a keg since it fell out of the rotation. I enjoy it but it's not an everyday beer for me. I also thought about doing a porter but I think I'll wait until the weather's a little colder for that.

I've made BierMuncher's O-fest in the past and always liked it. For this year I decided to make EdWort's version. Hopefully I don't regret it.

Is this the one you're taking about: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=244656

I know a darker beer is missing. I made a stout a few years ago and it wasn't a big hit. I actually still have a half a keg since it fell out of the rotation. I enjoy it but it's not an everyday beer for me. I also thought about doing a porter but I think I'll wait until the weather's a little colder for that.

That is basically the same recipe I was referencing, I think the one I used was below, but there was a revised version floating around that I cannot seem to locate at the moment. I remember I cut down on the FAJC, as I only used 2, and my notes suggest to use a cinnamon extract, as the caramel syrup was a bit "snotty" in consistency. Age really helped this cider, and I know you are in the time crunch. Best of luck. :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=292770

I'm going to have
Oktoberfest
Dunkle
Best bitter with rye
Kolch
Standard bitter
Pilsner

That way I have a nice variety.

Back