Beer lines between batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
After kicking a keg then cleaning and rinsing the beer line, what's the best state to leave the beer lines in if not able to immediately re-connect another full keg?

I know... I got lazy and don't have another full keg ready... :(

Anyway, let's say the beer line will sit 2-4 weeks between batches. Should I leave it full of the clean water I used to rinse it? Or should I flush it and leave it with CO2 and as little water as possible??

What say you???

BTW, If it matters, I have the semi-rigid bev-seal ultra beer lines.

I leave my beer lines (and jockey boxes)clean and full of star san when not in use. Quick flush with beer (first pint is usually drain pour anyway) and good to go.

i run hot water with pbw through after a keg kicks and rinse it with water then follow up with starsan and leave starsan in the line til the next keg.

I hook up another keg and go if it's within a day or two. If the lines are to sit without beer in them for longer than that, I just leave them unhooked and run StarSan through the line before hooking it back up.

I really only BLC the lines a couple times a year otherwise.

I seem to have read that some don't like to leave startsan in beer lines for and extended period. But it sounds like you guys have had no issues?

I recently left starsan in my lines for a couple weeks and had a problem. The lines clouded up and when I pushed a dip tube brush through them, gelatinous goo came out. I guess my mix was too strong and it ate away the inside of the tubing.

I clean my beer lines with beer line cleaner, rinse them with tap water and let the lines dry out until the next beer.

I recently left starsan in my lines for a couple weeks and had a problem. The lines clouded up and when I pushed a dip tube brush through them, gelatinous goo came out. I guess my mix was too strong and it ate away the inside of the tubing.

I think that's what I recall reading, a similar story about leaving starsan in beer lines. Do you use vinyl beer lines (soft clear)?

StarSan makes my vinyl gooey too if I leave it sit to long.

After kicking a keg then cleaning and rinsing the beer line, what's the best state to leave the beer lines in if not able to immediately re-connect another full keg?

I know... I got lazy and don't have another full keg ready... :(

Anyway, let's say the beer line will sit 2-4 weeks between batches. Should I leave it full of the clean water I used to rinse it? Or should I flush it and leave it with CO2 and as little water as possible??

What say you???

BTW, If it matters, I have the semi-rigid bev-seal ultra beer lines.

When a keg kicks I rinse it well then soak w/ hot water & B-Brite ( 1 Tbsp/ gal ). I then pressurize the keg & run the hot water/B-Brite solution through the lines & tap. Then I rinse the keg & run clean water through the lines & tap. Last I sanitize the keg w/ about a gallon of StarSan solution & run this through the line & tap.
I use BLC 2-3 times a year for a better cleaning of the lines and taps.

Back