Beer line sanitation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamshifflett

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question.

I see all the options out there for beer line sanitization. When I legged my last batch (5 gal corny keg) I cleaned and sanitized the gas and the beer lines before racking to the keg). Head space was purged with CO2 and then set. I only have a plastic fitting to dispense the beer at the moment (still deciding how I want to do faucets on the fridge). Is it ok to let the beer sit in the line in between uses? It's all stored inside the fridge, or do I need to take it out and clean/sanitize it each time, or something in between?

Thanks for all the help!

It'll be fine. You might want to take it apart and clean it every couple of weeks or if it starts to get funky. I'd put a zip-loc bag over the tap end, just to keep gunk outta it.

I'm in the same situation. I leave my lines and picnic taps inside my chest freezer. I have a small plastic bucket that I set the taps down into to catch any dribbles. I leave the lines attached until I float the keg - every time after I pour a beer, I squirt a little StarSan into the mouth of the tap to rinse it out. I also have DampRid in the freezer to keep it dry and prevent mold growth. Been doing this for months, and no problems so far.

I think most people around here clean/sanitize lines and taps inbetween kegs. Once a keg kicks, clean and sanitize and you should be fine. Sometimes I get lazy and just plug in a new keg if I have another one of the same beer ready to go. Taps may need cleaned more often if they stick or get funky, but it depends on how fast you're drinking the beer and where your taps are located (house vs garage for example). Oh, and you don't need to sanitize the gas lines at all unless you happen to get beer in them. Most gas lines come with check valves that prevent beer from leaving the keg and entering the gas line, so this should never be an issue.

Back