Beer line length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney M

Reaction score
i kegged a cider about a week ago at about 10 psi. I’ve read many people say 10ft lines are the way to go, and I’ve also clicked on the beer line calculators I’ve seen posted. The picnic tap assembly I have I believe is 5ft. According to the caluculator, 3-4 ft is supposed to be good. However I keep getting all foam in pours which releases my carbonation. Yes I was only opening tap part way because it seemed like a fast pour and k ow it can contribute to foam, but on another pour i also lowered down to like 3 psi and no real difference. What gives? What am I not understanding or doing right?

I have found that a minimum of 1 foot/ psi of 3/16” tubing is best. 5 feet isn’t ideal and 3-4’ is even worse. I don’t understand why picnic tap assemblies are sold with only 5’ (usually 1/4”) of tubing. If you want to maintain proper carbonation, you need to balance your system using the correct amount of tubing. Start with more than you think you’ll need and trim if necessary. The worst thing that can happen with lines that are too long is a slow pour.

Did you release the pressure on your keg when you lowered the pressure? If not, you were still serving at ~10psi even though you lowered your regulator pressure. I don’t think there are any calculators that would recommend 3-4’ of tubing at 10psi either.
I just entered 10psi into this calculator (https://www.kegerators.com/beer-line-calculator/) using a light lager for reference, .5 (6”) for vertical distance between center of keg and faucet, and a 12 second/pint pour and got a recommended line length of just over 12’

Did you release the pressure on your keg when you lowered the pressure? If not, you were still serving at ~10psi even though you lowered your regulator pressure. I don’t think there are any calculators that would recommend 3-4’ of tubing at 10psi either.
I just entered 10psi into this calculator (https://www.kegerators.com/beer-line-calculator/) using a light lager for reference, .5 (6”) for vertical distance between center of keg and faucet, and a 12 second/pint pour and got a recommended line length of just over 12’
I believe the one I was using was on beer smith. And yes I did release the pressure. I just used straight formula, didn’t have anything to do with flow rate or anything. I did see the one you posted as well and I didn’t really bother with it being that it says a lower flow rate increases foam which I’ve read in here is the opposite. You want slower to reduce foam hence longer line as well so that part didn’t seem right

I did see the one you posted as well and I didn’t really bother with it being that it says a lower flow rate increases foam which I’ve read in here is the opposite. You want slower to reduce foam hence longer line as well so that part didn’t seem right
The key to what that is referring to is in the parentheses. (seconds/pint) A lower rate (time) = a faster pour = more foam. For instance, 2 seconds(lower) to pour 16 oz. as opposed to 12 seconds(higher) to pour 16 oz.

Last edited:
The key to what that is referring to is in the parentheses. (seconds/pint) A lower rate (time) = a faster pour = more foam. For instance, 2 seconds to pour 16 oz. as opposed to 12 seconds to pour 16 oz.
So is the seconds being the input into that box? Because when you enter a random number like 20 seconds all of a sudden you’re increasing the line :(

Yes. Longer lines increases the length of time to pour a given amount. The walls of the tubing create friction and slows the movement of the liquid. Technically if you have long enough lines, you can stop the flow.

From my experience, the calculator from kegerators.com is much more accurate. I think you’ll be very happy with a 12-15’ line on your keg @10psi. Just coil most of the tubing into a fairly small circle and use zip or twisty ties to bind it together.

From my experience, the calculator from kegerators.com is much more accurate. I think you’ll be very happy with a 12-15’ line on your keg @10psi. Just coil most of the tubing into a fairly small circle and use zip or twisty ties to bind it together.
Awesome. Then I will buy it this time! Thank you for all the replies. Kinda stinks that with so many things on the Internet, there’s not really a way to tell which things are false or accurate when you’re so green. Thank god for this site :tank:

Are you using picnic taps or tap handles? I have 5' lengths of 3/16" ID tubing on my picnic taps and that works well for me with my pressure at 10 to 12 PSI (serving beer...no idea if this applies to cider).

Yes I was only opening tap part way because it seemed like a fast pour

You really need to open the tap the entire way or you will get a ton of foam.

All on
All off
Absolutely foams like the Dickens if you partially restrict at the tap.
But you'll also be much better served by much longer lines. Pun intended.

Well, now that I ordered 100’ of 3/16 tubing. I realized what the other problem most likely was. I bought a picnic tap assembly. I did not piece it myself, and what my lhbs sold me came with 5/16 ID tubing.:smh:

Well, now that I ordered 100’ of 3/16 tubing. I realized what the other problem most likely was. I bought a picnic tap assembly. I did not piece it myself, and what my lhbs sold me came with 5/16 ID tubing.:smh:

That makes a lot of sense. For a little while I had an assembly of 1/4" ID tubing and it produced much more foam than using 3/16", so I could see where 5/16" would be even worse. I have had good luck with 5' of 3/16" tubing on a picnic tap...but it might be worth playing around with longer lengths...since you have 100' to play with!

That makes a lot of sense. For a little while I had an assembly of 1/4" ID tubing and it produced much more foam than using 3/16", so I could see where 5/16" would be even worse. I have had good luck with 5' of 3/16" tubing on a picnic tap...but it might be worth playing around with longer lengths...since you have 100' to play with!

Heck yeah! Feeling much better about it now that I have it all figured out.:ban:

For this very reason flow control faucets are the business. Either attached directly to keg as a picnic tap, or on the kegerator with short lines, or even being impatient with forcecarbing beer, the flow control will always pour drinkable beer even if it takes some time to do it.

Back