Beer kit advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahoetavern

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which kit to buy. I had my eye on the deluxe kit from NB. After noticing the $35.00 S&H fee I decided to look around at other kits that might have free shipping. From what I have read kits using glass carboys are the way to go (sanitary) any advice would be awesome. Hoping to decide tonight!!!! Thanks

I both love and fear my glass carboys from the standpoint that if they break while holding them it's going to be a nasty injury. One of the best investments I made was in a Brew Hauler if you don't already have one. It makes the carboys easier to move around and if they do break, there's much less chance of getting hurt.

I've never ordered from Northern Brewer, but a $35 shipping fee seems a bit insane. Amazon carries a bunch of kits and usually offer free standard shipping or free 2 day shipping if you have a prime account.

I'm trying to decide which kit to buy. I had my eye on the deluxe kit from NB. After noticing the $35.00 S&H fee I decided to look around at other kits that might have free shipping. From what I have read kits using glass carboys are the way to go (sanitary) any advice would be awesome. Hoping to decide tonight!!!! Thanks

The plastic bucket vs. carboy debate is one of those ongoing conversations that will never have a resolution. There are pluses and minuses for each. There's a sticking on this forum that goes over some of the details.

Having said that, I'm not sure why a carboy would be more sanitary than a bucket. Buckets are easier to clean.

As for shipping, yes, that's a lot. Check a local homebrew store. Or consider a kit without a glass carboy to limit shipping weight. You can always get one later, and there's no such thing as having too many plastic buckets.

Check out More Beer website. $60 purchase gets you free shipping. Not all items qualify but brewing equipment kits do. Newbie myself, but check out the 10 ingredient kits they have for $25. I have tried several. All good by me.

Morebeer has free shipping on orders over 65 dollars

There's no universal agreement on glass over plastic. There are a *lot* of plastic fans here. I don't think they'll agree glass is "the" way to go.

Anybody on here use buckets for fermenting
? Or mainly carboys. Trying to get started cheap yet practical.

With 3 brews under my belt. The buckets work good, plan on getting a carboy soon. The advice I have been given is start slow learn how to do the beginner stuff ad move up when comfortable.

A few questions to determine what you need.

1. Are you using a stove?
2. Are you starting out with extract, brew in a bag, etc?
3. What method do you plan on using to chill after the boil? No chill, ice bath, etc.

Having gone threw several equipment upgrades, I recommend planning for what you will want, not what you think you'll need. I also recommend that you do not go with a pre-made kit as most contain glass carboys.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/carboy-brewing-accident-313454/

I replaced all of my carboys with better bottles and now I wish I had waited for the Seidel.
http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html

If you are trying to save some money I would go with a starter kit with a plastic ferm. I have used a glass carboy and buckets. My personal preference is glass since I can see what is going on and I don't have to worry as much if I got a seal with a plastic bucket lid. Both plastic and glass is effective as a ferm. As far as cleaning, a glass carboy is not that hard to clean if you clean it after each use and don't let it sit. Do you have a LHBS close to you? If you do I would check them out to avoid the shipping fee. Who knows they might throw in a free brew kit to get you started. Good luck.

Here's my reasoning for glass over plastic. This is just my personal opinion:

• Glass is resistant to scratching
  • Glass will not absorb taste or smell
  • Glass will not break down over time
  • Glass can handle more agressive cleaning/sanitization methods

Now, while plastic buckets can be made/used to last a while, eventually they break down and you have to buy a new one. Then again, glass CAN break. However, I have (8) glass carboys in both 5 and 6.5 gallon volumes. I also have (3) 3gal and (5) 1 gal. With at least a few batches brewed in EACH vessel, I've had no breaks or even near slippage/falls. I tend to believe it just depends on how much you take your time/rush and how patient you are. I also don't carry things across the yard etc (often) and when I do, I try to remember to use a milk crate for safety.

Also, when things get really messy and sticky and you want to scrub, you have to be really careful with plastic because scratching the surface means more potential for bacterial growth and contamination. Maybe it's just my background in the lab, but I'm just more accustomed and feel safer using glass for beer that takes weeks and at times even several months of attention.

There are plenty of people who use plastic with none of the problems I've highlighted, too. It's just preference.

Look out for groupon deals, thats how I got my kit from midwest. It came with bascially everything I need. Since I have added a better bottle for another fermentor and a wort chiller. But to get started it was great.

no issues with the better bottles? I would like to eventually get into all grain brewing. hadn't thought to much about cooling yet (prob would do ice bath), as it wouldn't require anymore equipment. Also need a hydrometer? want to start smart

Almost forgot, will be buying a burner and working outside. So I will need to get a pot too.

I move my glass Carboy in a "borrowed" milk crate. Fits perfectly and gives you lots to grab onto. Also I have used pail and Carboy as primary and didn't really notice any taste differences however I do find that temperature control is much easier in the glass Carboy.

+1 to groupon. I also recommend checking out the classifieds section here as well as homebrewfinds.com.

The Better Bottles are great as long you care for them properly. I do an oxiclean soak in warm water, rinse as needed. Do not scrub them.

Links are example only, not a specific vendor recommendation. You can't go wrong with Morebeer, Austin Homebrew or Northern Brewer. Recommended item list based on your requirements:

8-10 Gallon boil kettle: (I would recommend considering your options. I've upgraded my pots 3 times in the last 4-5 years. If you're doing 5 gallon batches, you'll want a 8-10 gallon pot. Stainless steel and aluminum are both acceptable)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001CHKL68
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/tall-boy-kettles.html
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=10460
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/tall-boy-kettles.html

Fermentor: (I would recommend starting with a bucket. They are cheap, durable and easy to replace after a year or two)
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_464&products_id=10774
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...g-equipment/6-5-gallon-fermenting-bucket.html
http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html

Bottling bucket: (you don't need a separate bucket if your fermentor has a spigot, but I would recommend spending the few extra dollars. This will reduce the trub transfer)
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...ing-equipment/6-5-gallon-bottling-bucket.html
http://morebeer.com/ct/?idx=921134&i=16591&u=/products/plastic-bucket-spigot-6-gallon.html

Bottle capper:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/red-baron-emily-capper.html

Bottle caps:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=982

Auto Siphon:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/auto-siphon-1-2.html

Sanitizer: (you'll need a sanitizer, I personally use Star San exclusively)
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=513

Cleaner: Oxiclean FTW! Get the generic brand. Make sure it's chlorine free, non-scented.

Burner: Get a turkey frier at harbor freight or amazon.

Bottles: You can use any non-twist off bottle. Drink and save :) Just make sure you rinse them as soon as you finish a beer to make cleaning easy.

Hydrometer, refractometer, ph test strips, etc: Not needed for extract brewing. Extract yields 100% as listed on the kit. The only benefit is if you plan on using it to take readings at the end of fermentation.

O2 system: Not needed, nice to have. I shook the bucket for quite a while before I picked one up.

Beer making ingredients: Now you're getting to business. Shop around and pick a kit that sounds good.

If you haven't already, I recommend picking up a copy of 'How to Brew' by John Palmer. Good luck and happy brewing!

Neither. I use two Mr. Beer Little Brown Keg and two one gallon glass jugs (which I guess I can call carboys but if they are a gallon and weigh about a lb empty that seems a little la-di-dah; they're just jugs) and have 2-4 small brews going at a time.

I would think many if not the majority here use buckets. The choice is yours and nobody will say you *shouldn't* use a carboy (although I'm sure there are plenty who prefer buckets).

I got the impression when I was started that "real" brewers use carboys and that carboys were somehow more "serious". I think that's probably not at all the case at all. You should buy a carboy if that's what you want but if you are buying it because you think you "should". well.... no, you absolutely do not have to.

The sticky, this vs. that, pretty much covers everything. The choice is yours.

Yeah, I guess I should have prefaced my post with "I love my glass carboys for secondary." I use Ale Pails for primary because trying to get all of that primary trub out of a carboy would be too much of a PITA.

I've used both glass carboys and plastic buckets. I prefer plastic buckets because the larger head space helps avoid blowoff. And they're easier to handle and store (it's hard to stack carboys). That said, I do like my glass carboys for secondary, which I always do (yes, I know it's not necessary, but it frees up my primaries sooner and my beer looks pretty...and it gives me more beer stuff to do).

My suggestion is if you are just starting out, buy a bucket and save a little money (or reinvest those savings into other equipment). The buckets work great. If you like brewing (and I am sure you will) and want to continue with it then purchase the glass carboy. You will certainly use both. Happy Brewing!

Already got the book. Reading while I wait for the kit. I'm in trouble, I think about brewing all day, check the forums more times then I can count. And have possible recipes flying around my head.

Welcome to the Hobby. I'm constantly thinking of brewing, trying to figure out what i want to brew next and always checking this forum along with beeradvocate.

Today I'll be ordering ingredients for Friday's brew day.

Unfortunately the local brew store is more about selling beer and wine. Couple yeast packs here, auto siphon there. Not really a Brewing store. I have to drive to Raleigh over an hour for a real store. Which is why I have been looking so much online.

I use buckets. I have dozens of carboys, but they are glass and very heavy. I use them for wine again, mostly. I use plastic buckets and/or Better Bottles for beer, almost always the buckets. I don't use a carboy for beer very often, unless aging on oak or something like that.

Thinking about switching to buckets so that I can dry hop...How do you handle blow off in a bucket?

Just use a three piece air lock and shove a piece of tubing over the center post.

I highly reccomend the spiedel fermenters from morebeer. Easy to clean, easy to carry, lots of head space, etc etc, etc.

Couple dollars more but worth every penny

I was reading about the speidels, seem pretty cool. Gonna wait and see after they have been out a little longer.

Decided to down grade and just go with the standard 5 gal kit from NB. Found out they do military discounts. So that was a help with the shipping cost. Just have to pick up a few more things. Pot, burner, hydrometer etc. thanks for everyone's help

You must live in Fayetteville and your absolutely right about grapes and hops. I've ordered a ton of equipment and ingredient kits from nb and have always been pleased with them. Doing all grain now and the crush on there grains is perfect. Good luck getting started. This hobby will change your lifestyle and take you over very fast. All in a good way.

Yes I live in fayettnam. there is no quality beer shop within a hour fifteen. No matter which direction you drive. no worries though

Bucket or carboy, best "tool" I've purchased recently was a $12 mini furniture dolly from harbor freight. No more carrying. Why didn't I think of this years ago?

I actually live in Bunnlevel, so the new grapes and hops off 87 is pretty close

I just order everything online. Nb usually has good prices and ships fast. Other than that I have built everything myself. Converted Coleman extreme cooler mlt wit stainless braid DIY wort chiller. I actually bought my original starter kit from the grapes and hops on Ramsey st. It was a brewers best deluxe kit with buckets and a better bottle. It's a good all around kit but I rarely do secondaries now. I've got a temp controlled freezer that I just leave the primary in for about three weeks(when I can keep myself from trying to rush it to the keg).

Do you just fill the ice chest with ice water, run the SS line through it. what kind of temp drop are you getting with that?

Sorry it was supposed to say stainless steel braid And a DIY wort chiller. Got in a hurry earlier. The cooler is my mlt. The wort chiller is just a standard immersion chiller made with 25' copper coiled tube. I just run garden hose water through it. I've never measured my ground water temp but my last brew was two weeks ago and I went from boiling to about 80 degrees in about twenty minutes. Then I just transfer to my fermenter and put it in my temp controlled chest freezer to drop to pitching temps. I do full boils so it seems to work pretty well. Again sorry for the confusion.

Back