Beer is Darker than Expected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsbeckton

Reaction score
So I made Jamils Belgian Golden Strong and just had the first one after carbing. Great Beer! Love the flavor of this beer after just 30 days but was somewhat surprise at the color. I'd say its about 8 SRM, so still a nice golden color however given that the only malt in the recipe was 1.2L pilsner I expected it to be much lighter. What would cause the color to darken w/o impacting the flavor? I brewed all grain in aluminum pot. The sugar was adds during fermentation so not scorched or anything.

Saxomophone said:
Maybe a long, strong boil? That can cause some darkening.

Yeah, it was pils malt so I wanted a vigorous 90 min boil for DMS. Guess that I have to choose between color and taste if that is the case? I choose taste! Nothing else I can do?

Any extract that could've scorched (or just been dark an extracty)?

How about gravity and volumes? If you had a low volume or a high gravity, that's the same amount of malt in less beer, or more malt in the same amount of beer. Although, with something as light as pilsener malt, I imagine you'd have to be pretty far off to have an easily-noticable visual effect...

Back