Beer in Deutchsland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopNutz

Reaction score
I'll be in the Frankfurt area in May/June. Can anyone recommend some breweries in the area?

From what I've gathered, Frankfurt is a beer wasteland. There is a small brewpub called Braustil that I've visited and it was decent. There is also a craft beer bar called Naiv.

If you're going to be there for a bit, take the train to Köln for Kösch and/or Düsseldorf for Altbier. IIRC, Köln is about 40 minutes and Düsseldorf is about 75 minutes.

Yeah, Frankfurt was pretty boring on the beer front. I was there in June and July and pretty much only found Dunkelweizen... got to Dusseldorf ☺

As much as I like Frankfurt, there really isn't much going on there beer-wise.

However, get the U-Bahn to Bornheim-Mitte and walk up Berger Straße. There's a good place called Apfelwein-Solzer if you're looking for good food and all-round German-ness.

Yeah not too much going on in Frankfurt, if you were going down to the Bayern then you'd have a boatload of places to go. However, I can't tell exactly what you were asking for in your original post. If you meant breweries as in for a brewery tour well then many in Germany are well booked for a year in advance no joke! I wanted to go to the Spaten brauerie many many years ago and when I called to ask about a brewery tour there was something like over a year waiting list. Now, this was in like 2006, so things might be different now but something to consider.

If you're just talking Brauhaus's that's a different story.

Rev.

I've been all over Germany and sampled many, many, many beers. Usually fly into Frankfurt and leave immediately. This time however, we'll be staying there 1 night and would like to enjoy a nice pint. Surprising there isn't much going on beer wise in that city. Big city

Darmstadt is 20 minutes away by train and they have a great brewpub in the town square. Its the Darmstädter Ratskeller Hausbrauerei
Address: Marktpl. 8, 64283 I did two 3-month stints at the university there as an exchange during my PhD, it's a great place with great beer and food.

I agree with all, Frankfurt sucks.

can not recall any place worse than Frankfurt if you want decent beer.

If you have the chance: drive down A9 to Munich. You will pass the Hallertau. Amazing to look at the hops growing there.

Let me know if you are up to do that, I'll direct you to places in Munich then. Or if you have a spare weekend and time to travel further towards the Alps... in Lenggries there is a place called Dorfschänke... amazing unfiltered Beer! Just Awesome:

http://www.dorfschaenke-lenggries.de/bier.html

But since you planned on staying for only one night that might not be an option. Although you are missing out on "big things" :)

But that wasn't your question - try "Bischhoff" if you can find it somewhere. It is from the Donnersberg Region not too far from Frankfurt and stay away from Dinkelacker by all means :)

I've been all over Germany and sampled many, many, many beers. Usually fly into Frankfurt and leave immediately. This time however, we'll be staying there 1 night and would like to enjoy a nice pint. Surprising there isn't much going on beer wise in that city. Big city

Frankfurt is a weird city... most people only come there to work and leave to the surrounding areas at night. There is not much goin on at night or weekends.

and then Frankfurt and Hessen in general are not really famous for beer although for Äppelwoi (Applewine)

On my last trip to Germany, I visited 49 breweries and countless brauhaus' in 30 days. Was a pretty sweet trip.

Back