Beer in air lock what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm1

Reaction score
So I assumed that my beer had reached a point to lager it... How ever after I transferred to a secondary it exploded and a very active fermentation started . When I opened the primary bucket I saw that the krausen had fallen and that a white layer of co2 had taken its place. So I transferred 5.25 gal. To the secondary 5gal. Carboy. My question is what to do? I have no blow off tube available and the 3 piece air lock is full of wort. But it has stabilized .

Do you have a racking tube that attaches to you racking siphon? Use that, one end in carboy bung, and the other in a bowl of sanitizer water.

Do you have a racking tube that attaches to you racking siphon? Use that, one end in carboy bung, and the other in a bowl of sanitizer water.

Thanks for the reply, I managed to drop the fermentation temp down and slowed it back. So I have installed a new stopper and airlock ( thank god for spares). It has stabilized and doing well. Sanitized all exteriors, and will hope for no infection. Do you think that will hold?

Thanks for the reply, I managed to drop the fermentation temp down and slowed it back. So I have installed a new stopper and airlock ( thank god for spares). It has stabilized and doing well. Sanitized all exteriors, and will hope for no infection. Do you think that will hold?

You should be taking gravity readings to know when to rack/lager your beer. Get a hydrometer and chart the beer's progress in the future.

So I assumed that my beer had reached a point to lager it... How ever after I transferred to a secondary it exploded and a very active fermentation started . When I opened the primary bucket I saw that the krausen had fallen and that a white layer of co2 had taken its place.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by a white layer? I hope you mean some Co2 bubbles and yeast rafts left over, and you're not talking about a white film covering the surface.

I'm talking about co2.. No film just gas bubbles

Latest posts

Back