Beer Glass Shelves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I was young, I had a small shelf unit in my room for books. When I grew up (er, older....) I had to buy 2 much bigger shelves for my books, and I relegated that shelf to storing my beer glasses.

Well, now that shelf unit is too small for my needs. We keep ALL Shaker Pints in the kitchen as our everyday drinking glasses, and I only keep other glass styles in my hobby room next to the kegerator.

I got most kinds of glasses, including too many small sampler glasses, a swing top growler, 1-2 howlers, a few specialty glasses etc.

Bottom line is, there is not enough space for them all!

Anyone got any unique designs for maximizing space for the different styles of glasses? I have a Kreg Jig and plan to use it to build my new shelf unit.

I also have a scroll saw that i picked up at a yard sale last year and could use that for decorative work, if it can be arranged. But I mostly want ideas on functionality, which is always my first thought.

I want to put doors on it too, if possible. To keep dust out and keep things clean-looking. I'm thinking about chalkboard paint on the doors to list the beers on tap, etc.

Should I be looking for a unit to buy instead?? Thoughts? What have you got?

I should also point out that I have glasses mostly 2 deep right now. That will have to be the case for the new cabinet too, as the wall space I plan to use is just too small to fit them all 1 deep. Unless I move a couple of things around....

If I move the glasses to the other wall, I might be able to use a MUCH larger shelf unit.

Hmm..... It could sit right above my guitar amp...

It's an option.

Right now I am thinking about a carousel kind of thing that can be bolted to the wall. The theory is that I'd be using more 3D space than a simple shelf, which is mostly 2D. I'll have to mock something up in 3D and see how it looks. I have a good amount of depth to work with, maybe. It would be more like a kitchen cabinet than a shelf, but with a lazy susan inside to make it possible to reach the back glasses easily.

More complicated than I really want to build, but if it ends up making space sense, then I might go for it.

Carousel seems to be a bust. If I make a 22" round shelf, I can fit about 20 glasses, tight, with a fair amount of wasted space. Plus, the glasses are stacked 3 deep, mostly, and arranged in a haphazard fashion to get that many to fit. That style makes taking one out at the back and complicated prospect, having to remove 2 glasses to get the 3rd one deep. The amount of space taken up by that design is effectively about 484 sq. inches since I have to take into account the missing corners of the shelf, which are rounded.

The same number of glasses could be placed 2 deep on a shelf 45 inches long and a standard 9.25 inches wide (10" plank). The construction is MUCH simpler, and since the glasses are only 2 deep, it would only take removing 1 glass to get to a glass in the back. And they are arranged neatly and with more space between. (Actually could be placed closer together and fit in about 40-42 inches long, but I want to leave enough to make taking and placing very easy.)

The glasses are input as 4" diameter for design purposes. In reality I have glasses of different size and shape, but 4 inches is a good average I believe.

Wish I had remembered to measure my wall before coming to work today. I'd know exactly how much room I had to use in the current location.

I'm not sure a pine board would be strong enough to support all of those glasses across a 45 inch span over the long term. They tend to bow under pressure.

Pilsner-Glass.jpg

I have a bunch of these, which could be hung upside down (like some wine glasses) over some of my other smaller sampler glasses, in a shelf just a little taller than the rest. This would probably result in a net savings of space.

What about a 9.25" wide shelf unit, but with double doors split down the center.

BUT! The door portion is actually another shelf unit, 1 glass deep! Then you get an effective 3 glasses deep unit, with a door to cover the dust, and a neat look, and if you want an inside glass, they are only 2 deep max. Easy enough for people with 2 hands (most people) to get at.

Kind of like this:

kitchen-cabinet-door-kitchen-cabinet-door-storage-racks-photos-for-kitchen-cabinet-door-storage-racks.jpg

Do you have a table saw? Could cut dadoes in the vertical sides to fit glass shelves into. Can also cut rabbets with a table saw to fit glass into for doors. Kreg can be used for the door framing and cabinet corners.

Do you have a table saw? Could cut dadoes in the vertical sides to fit glass shelves into. Can also cut rabbets with a table saw to fit glass into for doors. Kreg can be used for the door framing and cabinet corners.

I have a table saw, and have been meaning to get a dado blade, but an decent dado blade is kind of expensive. It would be a worthy investment for the future, though, I admit. I *could* dado with my router too, if i spent the time to set up a guide. Actually wouldn't take much time or effort to do that. line up all sides and clamp, then clamp the guide and cut all dados at the same time...

The Kreg Jig actually makes a decent joint for the shelves, but unless you plug the hole, it's a visible mechanical joint. I'd prefer a rabbet joint, or better yet, a Dovetail joint! But the Kreg is just so easy to use. There is also nothing mechanically holding a dado joint besides the glued surfaces. Well, unless I attach a back to it. And glue is pretty good these days.

But I want something fairly easy to build because I am not terribly experienced, and have many other things to do. I'm also keeping my eyes open for a used shelf unit that would work, but the odds of finding anything nice that would work well, are kind of low.

I'm digging on the shelf door idea. I have plans for a workshop cabinet that uses that kind of things and it seems like a very efficient use of space.

I could actually build a second unit to store some of the homebrewing equipment in. Matching units.

In my case, as you know I rent, so I'm hesitant to do any kind of shelving. I have that big glass cabinet over the fridge in the kitchen which is fine for the most part.

But I want something in the dining room, like to the left of the keezer, where I have all my Michigan glasses.

You can make the dadoes with multiple cuts with a standard blade on the table saw. The dadoes for the shelves don't need to a tight fit since it won't be a glued joint. Just need to cut both sides at the same time for perfect vertical alignment.

In my case, as you know I rent, so I'm hesitant to do any kind of shelving. I have that big glass cabinet over the fridge in the kitchen which is fine for the most part.

But I want something in the dining room, like to the left of the keezer, where I have all my Michigan glasses.

I can imagine a shelf unit screwed down on top of a "stand" of some sort that you purchase separately, maybe from a second-hand store. Paint and distress to make it look expensive (Cause that seems to be the big thing these days...)

That way you have a glasses unit that is not attached to the landlord's walls, and you get storage space below that, which would have been not used anyway. And if the shelves were up off the stand a bit, there would be room on the stand for larger items to be put there, if you wish.

I have 7/16" OSB behind my walls, so I can screw directly into any part of my walls and get a solid hold. My old house had so many odd studs here and there I learned that to be the only good way to be sure to hit something solid.

I got so much to do right now I shouldn't even be thinking about this. I need to get cracking on the car repairs before winter. At least the ones that require paint and warm weather. Need to get that sht done and get some time on the Mustang! Shelves could be a winter project, especially if I put up some temp walls in the garage with a small heater for finishing, etc. Could maybe even work on the motor out there in the winter if I planned it right.

I can imagine a shelf unit screwed down on top of a "stand" of some sort that you purchase separately, maybe from a second-hand store. Paint and distress to make it look expensive (Cause that seems to be the big thing these days...)

That way you have a glasses unit that is not attached to the landlord's walls, and you get storage space below that, which would have been not used anyway. And if the shelves were up off the stand a bit, there would be room on the stand for larger items to be put there, if you wish.

I have 7/16" OSB behind my walls, so I can screw directly into any part of my walls and get a solid hold. My old house had so many odd studs here and there I learned that to be the only good way to be sure to hit something solid.

I got so much to do right now I shouldn't even be thinking about this. I need to get cracking on the car repairs before winter. At least the ones that require paint and warm weather. Need to get that sht done and get some time on the Mustang! Shelves could be a winter project, especially if I put up some temp walls in the garage with a small heater for finishing, etc. Could maybe even work on the motor out there in the winter if I planned it right.

Hey, fyi... AND I should have pmmed you, instead of posting here. :off:
But I'm going to be off between 5pm today and July 12th, maybe we can meet up somewhere between us.. or you can get away and try out the keezer you contributed so much to. :rockin:

I, too need to do something about glassware storage. Every FotD trade yeilds more glassware, (which I love), but I ran out of storage space a couple of trades ago, (which I hate). I'm just going to keep an eye on this thread in hopes that something jumps out and inspires me.

Hm, I recently built a dartboard cabinet for a friend that would modify easily to holding glasses.

It has two front doors that open to reveal the dart board but you could easily extend the depth a couple of inches to accommodate glasses inside. I inlaid some white tiles on the inside, they work great as white boards, but you could do that on the outside and use chalkboard like you mentioned.

If you wanted to hold more and didn't mind having a good deal of depth you could put shelves on the inside of the doors too.

I replaced my kitchen cabinet shelves with 1/4" plate glass shelves (local glass company cut it to fit). I have halogen puck lighting in the top of the cabinets that, with the glass shelves, shines down through and looks very cool. I don't think that answers the OP's question, but maybe it gives somebody else an idea.

Did some 3D modeling yesterday and some thinking since then. I like the idea of having a 2 deep shelf with a 1 deep door shelf. And as I was out in the garage hooking up the welding gas tank to the welder, I wondered why not weld a basic frame and drop some wooden shelves in there instead of cutting and screwing/glueing wood? Angle iron is cheap and welded joints and fairly strong. ;)

Can paint the steel and stain the wood and make it look pretty decent.

Of course now I have to re-draw the 3D models to be weldments, but I don't mind. Am thinking about using glass for the fronts instead of wood. Maybe glass shelves too.

I use a built in bookshelf. I am sure your glassware collection is more extensive than mine, but I put mine two deep, but back row set on a long block so that you can see the labels on both rows, with a deep and tall enough shelf you could go 3 deep.

I'm limited in height. I might move the shelves to the wall to the right of the kegerator, but I have a guitar amp on top of a credenza and it has to clear that.

I might get rid of the credenza. I have plans to move a small chest freezer into that room to be used as a fermentation chamber inside the house (Already got a bigger one in the garage). That would only take up about 1/3 the wall space as the credenza, even if it's a bit taller. I could find a shorter table for the amp, and still be happy with it.

I guess I better start thinking about some changes. I really need to clean some stuff out of there, and I want better storage for some bottled homebrew too. I got stuff that go into a better storage location. Then I could maybe build shelves that don't need shelves in the doors and still be useful.

I mean, I don't have any plans to stop collecting glasses in the near future, so SOMETHING has to be done!

It sounds like you need a "curio cabinet" or build something similar.

Back