beer from keg fizzes like a soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shogun0660

Reaction score
Been having a carbonation/head retention issue with my recent pumpkin ale. When pouring, the beer fizzes up (quite audibly), then head dies down almost immediately, very similar to pouring a soda. The beer does seem to be carbonated based on taste and visible bubbles rising from the bottom of a "beer clean" glass. I poured a small sample into a clean jar, shook it up, and head did develop, although only temporarily again.
I brewed this same recipe a year ago (see below, different yeast) and didn't have any issues with head retention.
I carbed this batch by turning PSI up to 30, gently rolling the keg for 3 minutes. Let stand for 30 minutes. Vented, and set to 12 PSI for ~1 week at room temp. Then put in the kegerator at 12 psi, and had it in there for about a week at 38 F.
The beer line is 3/8 and about 6.5 feet long. I cleaned the lines and faucet with oxyclean (and rinsed with H2O) prior to putting this keg on draft.
I have poured plenty of kegs off of this tap/setup without having this issue.
I also used the same brewing setup, and clean all of my equipment, kegs, beer lines, etc with oxyclean followed by rinsing with water.

Grain bill:
1 can pumpkin in mash
7.5 lb two row
2.5 lb munich
0.5 lb C-80
0.25 lb C-60
1 tsp pumpkin spice (mcormick brand) at flameout
1 oz cluster at 60 min
yeast: had to settle for one packet US-05 (a few months past expiration) and one packet nottingham ale yeast. rehydrated and proofed prior to pitching.
Fermented at 70 for 4 weeks in primary. Finished at 1.009

Any ideas on what issue may be? The beer tastes fine, but the fizzing and lack of head retention has me puzzled and takes something away from the beer.
thanks for any help/input.

Back