Beer faucet/shank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
May be an odd question, but I am working on some foaming issues and am wondering if I had a longer shank on my faucet if it would keep the faucet colder? My garage gets fairly hot during the day , and the shank sticks through the door just enough to get the nut on. I was thinking, more shank= more surface area= colder faucet. Does that sound reasonable?

It's not in a tower, so that doesn't help much. I've been reading foamy beer threads all day and am going over my system again top to bottom. Maybe I'm just overcarbed, I don't know.

May be an odd question, but I am working on some foaming issues and am wondering if I had a longer shank on my faucet if it would keep the faucet colder? My garage gets fairly hot during the day , and the shank sticks through the door just enough to get the nut on. I was thinking, more shank= more surface area= colder faucet. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm not sure this will address a hot faucet issue but one trick I use is to insert a 1/8" polyethylene cord inside the 3/16" ID dispensing hose. You want something slick and round so it slides in easily. The length can be 100% or any proportion of your dispensing hose length to adjust restriction. This seems to break pressure down slowly from keg to tap and reduces foaming. It can also be easily removed or reinserted as needed through the faucet collar.

I went with longer stainless shanks. I probably have 4 inches or so in the fridge. The faucets seem to stay pretty cold. I'm not sure they would in a hot garage but it works in the house.

I'm not sure this will address a hot faucet issue but one trick I use is to insert a 1/8" polyethylene cord inside the 3/16" ID dispensing hose. You want something slick and round so it slides in easily. The length can be 100% or any proportion of your dispensing hose length to adjust restriction. This seems to break pressure down slowly from keg to tap and reduces foaming. It can also be easily removed or reinserted as needed through the faucet collar.

Interesting idea.

I have 10' of 3/16 beer hose. I was running 11 psi, and thought I'd turn it down to 8. I also had to defrost my fridge to get to the temp control knob, and turned that down a bit thinking my keg is too warm. the thermometer inside reads 25, as does the top of the keg with an IR temp gun. The back wall of the fridge reads 45, and the side of the keg says 65? (It's a vintage 50's GE)

Also, I noticed bubbles coming from the top of the sankey connector. That will be something else for me to look into.

Back