Beer discoloration based on bottle size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of American Wheat a month ago (or so). It was just 6 row, white wheat, and a little bit of flaked wheat. Fermented with Wyeast 1010. Obviously super light in color. Probably 2 or 3 SRM.

I bottled most of it in 12 oz bottles, but I was short on caps, so I filled up about 6 bombers. Here's the weird part: The beer in the bombers is exactly as I brewed it, 2 or 3 SRM, but the beer in the 12 oz bottles is significantly darker, probably 8 SRM or so. It's a strange muddy clay color. They taste and smell identical, it's a very good beer. They're just different colors.

Keep in mind, everything else is identical: Same beer, same yeast, same priming sugar, same storage conditions, all brown bottles, just different sizes.

Has anyone else ever run across this before? Am I going crazy? It's the oddest thing.

So even when poured in identical glasses next to each other there is an obvious difference? Or, just as you are looking through the bottle? But either way we don't believe you without pictures :p

Yeah, I know. I f*cked that one up. Drank all the bombers. I thought of that before posting...probably should've used some foresight. Next time...

Back