Beer clears in glass but not in the keg (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Why is it that whenever I keg a beer that has hit FG but still has yeast in suspension it never clears. Even after 10/14 days in the keg.

Yet if I pour a glass it clears completely in 10 hours sitting on the table.

You can literally watch the yeast drop where its "thick" on the bottom and clear on top.

If I pour 2 pints at the same time they will be full of yeast. If I leave one overnight it will be clear. Then the next day pull another pint and its just as cloudy as the pint I pulled the day before. Its got nothing to with yeast settling in the keg and gets sucked up...Theres yeast till the last pint in the keg.

I know I could use gelatin but that doesn't answer the question

No leaks and I never move the keg

20170308_150819_resized.jpg

Could this be chill haze instead of yeast?
Definitely not. Heres the bottom of the coffee cub packed with yeast.
This keg hit FG and was cold crashed for 3 days. 24 hours to get to 32 deg then 48 hours at 32.

Tons of yeast in just a coffee cup worth of beer.

But...it did clear where the keg wont

20170308_163115_resized.jpg

If you had a keg sized glass it would take a lot longer than 10 hours to settle.

A flocculant would help sink the neutrally buoyant particulates that make your beer cloudy and thus clearing beer faster. Even in the best conditions my beers will only start to clear after a week and a half or so.

Its got something to do with gas being hooked up. Like I said I've had this problem before.

Once I had 2 kegs kegged at the same time.
I left one on the gas and one unhooked for around three 3/4 days.
I didn't pull a pint off the one hooked up to the gas.
When I connected the unhooked one days later a TON a yeast filled the first couple pints
The one that was hooked up had some yeast but not nearly as much
The unhooked one cleared after a few pints and was fine
The hooked up one never cleared the entire keg.

At that time I asked here if the gas stirs up the beer while its being injected and was told it infuses and there is no movement in the keg.

So I don't have a clue but it kind of sucks, I need to make sue my beer it perfectly cleared before transfer or I'll be eatin yeast the whole keg

is your pick up tube inside your keg trimmed or sitting right on the bottom?
Its a sanke keg..no dip tube, just a single spear. I never actually measured how close it is to the bottom. I would think pretty close to the bottom. When the keg is kicked theres only a few ounces left in the keg

are you fining the beer in the secondary after the cold crash but before you keg, and if so, how close is your racking cane to the trub? Just going over in my head some of the things that may be causing the issue here

1) not fully flocc'd out
2) racking from secondary (or primary) and getting some stuff sucked up from the trub, that is in-turn the first thing to get sucked out of the keg

Here is a suggestion you might want to try (which may be a PITA with a sanke, but doable), pull the spear, dump 1/2cup fining water (which can be found easily here on site, but im sure you have read or know about already)...give it 4 days at serving temp and then see....just keep in mind, when fining in a keg, your first few pours may be all the **** the gelatin just dropped....so I would pour about 1-2 pints after 4 days and dump, then pour as normal...

I think you're kegging prematurely. I saw in your other thread where you said you were drinking lager 2 weeks from brew day. My guess is that when you leave your glass sit overnight, it warms up, some last fermentation takes place, and it then settles on the bottom. That's the only thing that makes sense in the scenario you have described. Some things aren't meant to be forced. Lagers need a bit of time.

So here is another picture as of today

The coffee cup is the same beer as OP and seems darker/clearer
The middle glass has been sitting 4 hours and is darker/clearer than the full glass but looked the same as the full beer out of the tap
The full glass is a fresh beer.

Its not chill haze. The middle glass has yeast on the bottom of the glass after only 4 hours
These are all from the same keg...cant figure out why its not clearing in the keg but drops in the glass fast

20170309_195801_resized.jpg

Every keg or just this one? Were there a bunch of adjuncts in the mash? Does it taste ok or can you pick up a yeasty taste in a fresh pint?

Its got something to do with gas being hooked up. Like I said I've had this problem before.

Once I had 2 kegs kegged at the same time.
I left one on the gas and one unhooked for around three 3/4 days.
I didn't pull a pint off the one hooked up to the gas.
When I connected the unhooked one days later a TON a yeast filled the first couple pints
The one that was hooked up had some yeast but not nearly as much
The unhooked one cleared after a few pints and was fine
The hooked up one never cleared the entire keg.

At that time I asked here if the gas stirs up the beer while its being injected and was told it infuses and there is no movement in the keg.

So I don't have a clue but it kind of sucks, I need to make sue my beer it perfectly cleared before transfer or I'll be eatin yeast the whole keg

define a "ton of yeast". it would be helpful iof you didn't put a "ton of yeast" INTO the keg in the first place.(no im not trying to be a jackhole even though it sounds that way)

define a "ton of yeast". it would be helpful iof you didn't put a "ton of yeast" INTO the keg in the first place.(no im not trying to be a jackhole even though it sounds that way)
I lost count somewhere around a million, so I drank them as they were screaming down my throat...

I have no idea whats considered a ton of yeast in a glass but I've got a lot after a 3 day cold crash and 3 days in the keg at 35 deg.

I still think you didnt wait long enough before you kegged it and the yeast hasnt fully flocc'd out. In your original post, you mentioned that it hit fg, but how long did it sit at fg? I feel like there was too many yeast in suspension, and now when you pull off the keg, your pulling all the stuff from the bottom...

Do you have another keg that you could or are willing to rack into after another week or so of letting this one sit, and leaving the last 1/2 gallon or so?

If you keg before it clears, might you end up with of ton of trub in the keg as you cool it? So when you pull a pint, you're stirring up and pulling all that trub. When you let it sit, it falls to the bottom again.

Normally I get a cloudy pint or two, but if you're racking too early maybe you are just getting more of that.

How cold was the cold-crash? I go to 34°F for three days which drops all but about a tablespoon of a decent floc'ing yeast - that's about all I find at the bottom of a kicked keg.

If all those pours are from the same keg there's way more than that already and who knows how much is still in the keg.
Something ain't right...

Cheers!

I cold-crash at near freezing for 2 days prior to kegging. Even then I get some yeast in the keg. Usually the first 5-6 pulls are a bit yeasty, but that's it. You must have quite a bit sitting in the bottom of the keg and it's getting stirred up every time you pull a pint.

Hey Johny, what the heck is this? A riddle or a question from a final exam at at a homebrew learning center? Maybe I'm watching too much television or something but it seems to me that a brewer with your experience knows exactly what is happening here and the clues were very "subtly" planted. COME ON!!

Just to clarify: you are NOT fermenting in the same keg that you're serving from, correct? What is a typical fermentation schedule for a given yeast strain? Are you having this problem with every yeast strain you ferment with? Or specific strains?

I think this is pretty straight forward: you've still got yeast in suspension in primary for some reason that is getting transferred to your keg. Maybe you're racking too early, or disturbing the yeast cake while transferring to the keg. Fixes: use whirlfloc; make sure the beer has finished fermenting (this is different than taking gravity readings. maybe you missed your numbers and the yeast are still working. Let them finish; use more flocculant yeast strains. Another idea would be to cold crash while in pr yourimary fermentation vessel, and then *CAREFULLY* transfer to your keg.

Not to beat a dead horse but There is no doubt something is up with a keg clearing under pressure or not. Here are 2 pictures 10 days after OP. The untapped keg cleared and is extremely perfect in flavor and looks, the tapped beer 10 days later still has a yeast flavor and lighter color, most likely from yeast not settling under pressure...still good but not the same...

20170315_155601_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20170317_154155_resized.jpg

Back