beer backflow into CO2 line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datchew

Reaction score
Well crap.

This is about the 5th batch I've kegged but I've never had this problem before.
About an hour after turning on the CO2 and putting the keg in the fridge, (35psi) I go down and see bubbling in the CO2 incoming line.

I lift up the line and there's a few inches of beer in there. I'm hoping it doesn't get into my regulator but I don't see how it could. Regulator height is higher than the keg even IF there wasn't one-way pressure.

So what's the deal? I'm thinking I put a tad too much beer into the keg and the fluctuations of the regulator or something allowed the gas in post to suck up a bit of beer.

Any tips?

I've experienced over time, and reading on here, that if you fill your keg over the bottom of the gas dip tube, then beer will get backed up in the gas line until it gets down below that level. Cheap insurance to protect your regulator is check valves.

How full did you fill your keg? If it is too full, and you are adding CO2 to the beer, you could potentially back beer in the line. You are adding mass (CO2) to a vessel that contains an incompressible fluid (beer). As the CO2 infuses into the beer, the density of the beer will decrease and beer will find its way into any crevice it can find. With that said, I would never expect your regulator to see any beer. If that is regulating keg pressure at 35psi, and it is above the keg, beer should never creep up to it.

Just hook your keg to the tap, draw off one or two beers, and you should never see this again on this batch.

How full did you fill your keg? If it is too full, and you are adding CO2 to the beer, you could potentially back beer in the line. You are adding mass (CO2) to a vessel that contains an incompressible fluid (beer). As the CO2 infuses into the beer, the density of the beer will decrease and beer will find its way into any crevice it can find. With that said, I would never expect your regulator to see any beer. If that is regulating keg pressure at 35psi, and it is above the keg, beer should never creep up to it.

Just hook your keg to the tap, draw off one or two beers, and you should never see this again on this batch.

Agreed, However, you should sanitize or change your gas line after this keg is done. One other possibility for the back pressure is a batch that hadn't finished fermenting or a CO2 tank running out, typically even if you over filled the mains pressure should keep the beer from backing up into your gas lines.

Thanks all. This is inline with what I was thinking.
I'll wait till this evening (when it's at least a little carbonated) and sample a pint or 2 to get the internal level down.

It's a tough gig, but I'll sacrifice for the greater good.

Then I'll disconnect the CO2 and clean out the line or replace it.

Now... where I can I get these check valves?

Now... where I can I get these check valves?

I have been kegging for quite a while, check valves are not necessary. I realize, i'll get the "cheap insurance" argument. Do you know what's cheaper than check valves? Not filling your keg past the weld line near the top.

It's impossible to get beer in your co2 line if you don't overfill it. Impossible. Drink two pints, clean your line and don't sweat it.

Drank a bit 0.5L and then I wiggled the pressure vent and watched the beer fly into the keg and clear the CO2 line. so i'm leaving it hooked up tonight because I want to drink it tomorrow, then i'll vent, disconnect and clean and not make this mistake again.

Thanks all.

It's impossible to get beer in your co2 line if you don't overfill it. Impossible.

It's actually pretty easy. All you have to do is develop a gas leak somewhere, or hook up an overcarbed commercial keg, or hook up a keg that's been prime carbed that hasn't completely cooled yet, or jostle the kegs a bit too much while moving things around, etc. I don't think each line needs it's own check valve if you're careful, but one to protect the regulator is a good idea. Many regulators have one built in, so you might have one and not even know it.

Although very sound advice... I am guessing you have a red or orange gas line that is not transparent.

Latest posts

Back