Beer appears less carbonated after chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxkiskekyxx

Reaction score
I have an IIPA that has been carbing for 6 weeks. I've chilled all the bottles I've tried prior to opening and tasting however this time I opened a bottle while warm and the bottle showed considerable head and carbonation. I saved half of the bottle to chill in the fridge recapped it and went back to it two hours later to taste. It poured with no head and very little to no carbonation in the glass. What could cause this and does this mean I still have to wait a few more weeks for my beer to carbonate properly? My OG was 1.087.

Warm beer gives up the dissolved CO2 quickly while cold beer holds more of it in solution. Try pouring your cold one from a little higher off the glass.

Recapping a half empty bottle doesn't work because a lot of the carbonation has already been lost.

take a small sip and woosh it around like mouthwash, you should feel the co2 break out of solution if its properly carbed.
I do this when adjusting new kegs to the right pressures and carb volumes.

Plus,the beer should see at least a week in the fridge for decent carbonation. Not to mention needing a few days to clear any chill haze you may get. 2 weeks in the fridge gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

Back