Beer and light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lstewartff

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons in a True Brew fermenting bucket. Last night my wife went into my closet where my fermenting bucket is at and left the light on all night long. Since it is in a bucket and not in a carboy will it be ok even since the light was left on?

Thanks
Lee

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is UV light that has a negative effect on the fermentation process. Meaning only sunlight or other UV light will effect it. Not a closet light.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is UV light that has a negative effect on the fermentation process. Meaning only sunlight or other UV light will effect it. Not a closet light.

Im not sure I thought it was just light in general, but I am new to this so I needed some reassurance that my beer would be ok. I dont want to dump it down the drain.

does the bucket protect from UV/fluorescent light?

mine is fermenting in ale pail a spare bedroom that occasionally has the fluoro lights on for 10-30min at a time

uv light would be your biggest enemy and it also depends on how close to the light it was. it is pretty safe to say that it is fine and next time for good measure wrap a light sheet or towel around it

What McChub says - should be zero problems - if fluorescent was a concern liqure stores would be in big trouble.

its in a bucket, no light can get through it. I ferment in my dining room with the light on most of the day, but I ferment in an ale pail so no light can get through. If you worry wrap something around it. Many people ferment in a carboy, wrapped in just a t-shirt, in a room with light on most of the day. don't put ur beer in a glass container, and leave it out in your driveway all day.

Back