Been a while...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlspeed

Reaction score
Since I had my last kegerator. I have a pretty decent set up in an older fridge. The temp on fridge is at 34° on the inside, and there is only a very small amount of the shank where it's not able to be chilled at probably, inside the door. The first beer comes out pretty foamy, and the second and subsequent ones pour PERFECT. The pressure on my gauge is showing right around 10psi, plus or minus 1. Is there anyway for me to get a decent pour on the first beer? Right now I'm letting it just sit and drinking it anyway, but I'm thinking that because the shank is in the door and it's sealed pretty well, it could be what's giving me the problem.

I have always had the same problem, and only the first pour after it has sat for a day or two. For my first pour, I just pour about an inch into a glass, let it sit for maybe ten seconds and continue to fill the glass without any foaming. The rest of the pour's are perfect and I'm running 12psi w/10' of 3/16 line.

Maybe that's what I need, some more line. I think it is only about 5' now. I'm really worried though that the beer that's inside the shank is warming up while it is inside the door of the fridge. If that is the problem, I'm not really sure how I could even fix it.

If, for instance, you were using 6 inch long shanks, and the entire length of the shank was subject to warming up, that would only account for roughly 1/6th ounce of warm beer. If that's all that's going on with your setup, the suggestion to pour an ounce, and let the cool beer chill down the faucet before continuing the pour, is a good one.

As well, if subsequent pours are consistently satisfactory, your line length/inside diameter combination would seem to be fine...

Cheers!

I think the shanks are only 4 1/4", or something like that. If I pour my first beer, well, I'll take a picture. Perhaps a video, and I'll post it up this evening, and maybe you guys can give me some guidance. It's not a huge problem, but if it can be better, that would obviously be the preference. It's pretty much the first beer that's bad. There is a little head on the second one, which I think most people would consider perfect. The third beer has just maybe 1/4" head on it. The first beer, after it sits, will be about 1/3rd beer, and 2/3rds foam. After about 3-4 minutes, the foam is gone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZOoPAWejMQ]pouring beer from kegerator - YouTube[/ame]

Let me know what you all think! I'm thinking that if anything, it could probably use even more pressure. The second beer I poured is about finished, but for the most part it's flat now and it's been about 20 minutes. The first beer has lost the head, but it looks only moderately carbonated.

The set up isn't so bad now, I just want you guys to compare it, to see if I could adjust it a little better. Thanks!

I doubt that your shanks are a problem, they look pretty standard to me and are the same type that i use. The faucet seal is so close to the door front, that the majority of the shank is insulated inside the door. That first pour, if it's the first after sitting several hours or a day, is what always happens if you crack the valve and try to fill an entire glass. Everyone I know who has a similar set-up, has to make the first pour in two satges. All subsequent pours are not a problem. Plus, 5' of lines never worked for me. My system did'nt work for me until I changed to 10' of 3/16, Then I set the reg. for 12psi and my cooler for 36F and forget it until the keg kicks.

What would you all think my PSI should be for Yuengling light? It seems to be settled around 10psi right now.. Leave it or adjust it?

carlspeed said:
What would you all think my PSI should be for Pliny the Elder? It seems to be settled around 10psi right now.. Leave it or adjust it?

fixed that for ya :)

Is it pretty common for the first beer to come out with about half foam? I'm just trying to figure out if I can set it up better, or if I just need to deal with the first beer not pouring good and enjoy the second and third. Even if it only sits for about 30 minutes, the first beer comes out mostly foam.

Is it pretty common for the first beer to come out with about half foam? I'm just trying to figure out if I can set it up better, or if I just need to deal with the first beer not pouring good and enjoy the second and third. Even if it only sits for about 30 minutes, the first beer comes out mostly foam.

My favorite glass is the 16 ounce Sam Adams Boston Lager glass, which has a line at the 12 ounce level. I can fill to that line with clear beer and a nice head on top with any first pour, regardless how long that faucet has been idle (which with 6 faucets could be days).

It's all about balancing the system - and having a deep enough pipeline to never have to deal with "burst carbing" and the potential issues thereof...

Cheers!

Back