beef back ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
How do you cook these? Long and slow on a smoker, like pork ribs?

The ribs themselves were about 5 inches wide and the whole rack about 15 inches long. There looked like about 3/4 Inch of meat between the ribs. This was the first time I have ever seen Beef ribs.

SWMBO made the comment that they looked kind of fatty. But then so do pork ribs.

Anyway, just thought I would see if anybody has any experience with these.

Thanks,

Trim them very well, rub and grill like a steak.

I have found low and slow isn't as tasty - it's a pork-fat thing!

I always throw a beef rack on the smoker when I'm doing ribs. I usually treat them the same way as pork ribs.

Beef ribs kick ass!

We used to make these all the time back when I lived in Texas. We'd rub them down and cook them on low in the oven all day and then throw them on the charcoal grill in the evening to get them nice and crispy at the edges.

I have cooked them a few times. Dry rub and low and slow smoked have worked well for me. They are done when the meat starts pulling back from the end of the bone. Mmmmmmmm.

Low and slow on a smoker works well, as does low and slow braising in the oven (think of pot roast). I like to braise them in some beef stock with some dried peppers (Ancho, chipotle, New Mexico and guajillo) and cilantro. Pull the meat off and serve on tortillas

Here's my bit of heresy:

Beef ribs work great in the crock-pot. A couple of pounds of short ribs and a bottle of good sauce (I like Stubbs), in the crock pot on low for 6 or 8 hours makes a tasty, low-fuss, mess of short ribs.

You'd need a hell of a big slow cooker for beef back ribs, though.

Side note: Pork ribs done like this aren't that good.

From last weekend. Beef + Pork

happy_together.jpg

Back