Bee question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewskiez

Reaction score
May not be the best place but since I'm not on any bee forums maybe someone here will know. I removed an older hive from a barn wall on 12/14 this was the second hive I've got and was unlike the first as all the comb was dark needless to say extracting the honey has been a lot harder. I had to take a break from it for a couple days since I had to work this weekend.

Will it still be good to squeeze after a couple days just sitting in buckets?

I've yet to see anyone in all the youtube videos I've looked through getting honey from comb quite this dark is there a reason for that other than convenience?

Found another use for my grape press

Attachments

• 0D8190F8-352F-45ED-8C7C-AF75108D2825.jpeg
    0D8190F8-352F-45ED-8C7C-AF75108D2825.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
Honey will be good after many days or weeks sitting in a bucket. The biggest issue is usually all the dead bees attached. You must live in a fairly warm area to cut out a hive from a barn wall in the middle of December. Some times that dark comb has a strong flavor of its own, might consider getting the crushed and strained honey separated from the comb sooner rather than later.
The second part of your question is unclear to me. I think you are asking about why do you not see videos of dark combed honey being extracted?

I live in se Texas. Yes I was concerned that the honey would not be good most comb I see people process is white clean comb.

Attachments

• F879A5BB-FE96-4542-B6E5-2B95828A48D0.jpeg
    F879A5BB-FE96-4542-B6E5-2B95828A48D0.jpeg
    908.2 KB · Views: 77
It looks to me like the comb is just aged and honey can be a variety of colors depending the flowers it is made from. Buckwheat honey is almost black. So as long as it isn't growing fur or smells like paint your probably fine

honeycomb gets darker as it gets older, unless a really dark honey has been collected that comb is 2-3+ years old, whereas the white clean comb you see will usually be less than a year old.

Latest posts

Back