Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have brewed Edworts recipe for this beer 3 times and i have finally bought a bottle of Franzikanner for comparison.
The Franzikanner is sweeter or more malty, and a ton more carbed.
I guess I would say i like them both.

Great recipe by Edwort.

I am looking to brew a blackberry wheat and was thinking about starting with this recipe then racking onto the blackberries in secondary. Do you think that will work alright or would a different recipe be better for this purpose?

In general, I have great faith in all things EdWort. :) Thanks!

Just tapped this - brewed 3 weeks ago. I am not even a wheat beer fan (just needed to brew something different) but this just tastes great!

I am having terrible efficiency even when using rice hulls any suggestions?

Let's hear about your process.

Do you crush your own grains?

Are you using malted wheat?

What temperature are you mashing at?

Have you tried an iodine test for starch conversion?

There is a beer festival in my hometown on the 8th of August. I'm gonna try and brew this in time to take w/me for drinking at a friend's house afterwards. Gives me 13 days. Plan on probably burst force carbing it for a day at high psi, then backing it off for a few days. Any suggestions?

Let's hear about your process.

Do you crush your own grains?

Are you using malted wheat?

What temperature are you mashing at?

Have you tried an iodine test for starch conversion?

Bought them online precrushed

152-153

Nope what is that

Get some tincture of iodine at a local drug store and follow this

How to Brew - By John Palmer - The Starch Conversion/Saccharification Rest

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The brewer can use iodine (or iodophor) to check a sample of the wort to see whether the starches have been completely converted to sugars. As you may remember from high school chemistry, iodine causes starch to turn black. The mash enzymes should convert all of the starches, resulting in no color change when a couple drops of iodine are added to a sample of the wort. (The wort sample should not have any grain particles in it.) The iodine will only add a slight tan or reddish color as opposed to the flash of heavy black color if starch is present. Worts high in dextrins will yield a strong reddish color when iodine is added. [/FONT]
Are you doing a 90 minute mash?

What about sparging, are you batch sparging?

if so, are you stirring it well?

Yea I have been doing batch sparging. What amount per batch sparge do you recommend. Like if I am sparging with 5 gallons of water should I do it in 5 steps or 2 or something inbetween.

There`s something seriously wrong with this recipe.
I kegged 5 Gallons of this stuff and it only lasted 4 days,
Evaporation maybe?

Thanks ED

Ed,
Do you have to use Wheat DME in the starter or can I just use the Light DME that I have. Think it will make that big of a difference? I am planning on following your recipe to the letter.

Thanks,

I have another Hefe question. What is the shelf life (bottled) and do you secondary and crash cool or just crash cool in the primary? I want to do a Hefe for the HBT competition but I want to figure out when I should start it.

Thanks,
Zman

Ed,
Do you have to use Wheat DME in the starter or can I just use the Light DME that I have. Think it will make that big of a difference? I am planning on following your recipe to the letter.

Thanks,

I use wheat dme, but I'm sure you can use lite. Just decant the beer and pitch only the yeast.

edit: portions omitted due to Ed's Response

When I did this 4 months ago I bottled (siphoned to bottling bucket at day 11 and added prining sugar) and omitted the crash cool.
They were ready at day 7 (post bottling), tasted awesome between days 14-28.
As the bottles aged (or as I left them in the refridge) they became clearer and towards tye end it was almost looking like a krystal...If it rolled them or swirled they were a little cloudier, but also somewhat "chunky"
I hope that helps....

The entries have to be in by 9/19 and judging is on 10/3. So if I brew it up the second weekend in August I should be good to go?

disclaimer:
I have never won any type of contest ever (yet)

Based on my experience with thie recipe and taste profile/notes, 2nd week looks good, but don't get too worried if you cant get to it unitl the 3rd week of august...

Maybe Ed can chime in on how long from brew day to sample day it was when his won it's award...

You can drink it in as early as 3 weeks. It is best when fresh. Since I now make 15 gallons a time, it does last longer than a couple months, and it is still very tasty. It's now my daughter's and SWMBO's favorite.

Ed,
One more question for ya. Did you activate the smack pack before making the starter? I just got the yeast today and plan on brewing it this weekend but I want to have enough time to prep the starter.

Thanks,
Z

Ed,
One more question for ya. Did you activate the smack pack before making the starter? I just got the yeast today and plan on brewing it this weekend but I want to have enough time to prep the starter.

Thanks,
Z

Yep, I follow the instructions, activate it and let it swell up before adding it to starter wort. I dip the package and my scissors in starsan and wait 60 before opening the package just to be on the safe side.

Yep, I follow the instructions, activate it and let it swell up before adding it to starter wort. I dip the package and my scissors in starsan and wait 60 before opening the package just to be on the safe side.

I usually just wipe the smack pack with rubbing alcohol. Would that be affective also?

I brewed 11 gallons of this recipe on Thursday. It was my first wheat beer and it turned out to be the brew night from hell. Started around 9:00pm. The sparge didn't stick, but it went soooooo slow. It took a total of about 4 hours to collect 13 gallons of runnings in the brew kettle. By the time cleanup was done it was around 4 in the morning. Hope it turns out well because Friday at worked sucked...partly due to lack of sleep, partly to the case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Off to the home brew store today - also the soda keg store. I have grown hops but I think I mixed up my Hallertauer and Sterling. I think the Hallertauer should have lesser yield and I think the Sterling based on Saaz should have a spicier smell(?) I put the hops on a screen last night in my attic. I also am tempted to add some wild cherry if they ripen in time and I can figure out how to collect them, but that would change the character of the beer, so I probably won't. Looking forward to brewing an ESB tomorrow and this one Sunday. Thanks, EdWort

I brewed 11 gallons of this recipe on Thursday. It was my first wheat beer and it turned out to be the brew night from hell. Started around 9:00pm. The sparge didn't stick, but it went soooooo slow. It took a total of about 4 hours to collect 13 gallons of runnings in the brew kettle. By the time cleanup was done it was around 4 in the morning. Hope it turns out well because Friday at worked sucked...partly due to lack of sleep, partly to the case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I brewed yesterday (5.5 gal). No problem with sticking. Based on my supplier's recommendation, I used 1# of rice hulls. If anything, I had to crank it down a little so it didn't go too fast. I let it run a little faster than usual as clouldy is OK. OG was 1.054 @ 75F. I put in 1 oz. of homegrown Hallertauer @ 45 min. by mistake, so just dumped in my remaining 1/3 oz or so @ 15 minutes.

I checked my recycle bin and the last German beer I bought was a Weizenboch from that place where the yeast comes from (I won't try to spell it). Anyway, great beer.

I'm thinking of skipping the crash cool. It doesn't make sense as I like to speiss my beer. I've saved ~ 40 oz wort for that. I even saved some wheat speiss (32oz.) for my ESB as I forgot to save some for that. I guess that will be a bit experimental.

Bottled around 9 gallons (98 12 oz bottles) of this last night. I didn't take an initial gravity reading, but the final gravity was 1.010, so I'm pretty happy with that. Taste and smell was great. I didn't crash cool, so it was a little thick, but oh well.

I don't keg, so I decided to use the left over wheat DME that I had from the starter for priming. I checked several bottle priming calculators including Tasty Brew, Brewheads and Brew Pal and they all gave a range of 3.6 to 4.5 volumes of CO2 for this style. I decided to go middle of the road at 4.0. The fermentation temp was 68 degrees. When inputing this information into the various calculators, I got a wide variety of results ranging from 9.14 to 12.8 oz per 4.5 gallons. This seemed like a lot, so I went with the low end of the range and used 9.14 oz. Anyone with experience using wheat DME to prime?

I checked mine last night and it is @ 1.010 as well. I am going to give it a few more days to see if it will drop down. I believe my OG was 1.053 or .54. The sample looks good and is yummy.

Thanks Ed:mug:

I made a 6.5 gallon batch this past Sunday. I tweaked the recipe a little and added 1/2 lb of Acidulated malt to the grist and not sure if it helped in my efficiency or not. My eff shot up to 80% depending on FG reading. But I also worked on my malt mill by reknurling the rollers, and running the grain through twice. Anyway I was hoping the Acid malt will give it that slight sour taste that I note when drinking a Weihenstephan Bavarian Weiss Beer. That's what I taste.

Still rolling and chugging away in the fermenter. I can't wait till this one is done. I will be making again. Thanks Ed!

I brewed this last Saturday. This thing was like a sulfur bomb in my house while actively fermenting. It's pretty much done now. I'll let it sit for 3 weeks then crash and keg it.

Does this mean that the .75 is boiled for 45 minutes and the .25 is boiled for 15? for a total of a 45 minute boil?

I usually boil for 90 and just add with 45 min left..

Just brewed up a beautiful batch on sat and conical was bubbling away by sat night....cant wait to get this one on tap again....truly a wonderful beer!!

Brewed 10 gallons yesterday and outright killed the hydrometer sample...I can't wait! I actually use 1 vial of WLP300 and made a gallon starter per Mr. Malty. The fermenter is chuggin' away!

Thanks Ed!

I did not enjoy the flavor of this beer. It was way way to "fruity." It tasted like a stick of juicy fruit gum. Definitely not a remake.

Have you had Hefe's before? Their signature is banana and cloves w/ some vanilla. Some times you can restrain the flavor of the yeast by fermenting cooler. From what you said you probably enjoy a cleaner, less yeast-oriented beer. Do you like Belgians?

Back