Fuller bodied Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariza-Poet

Reaction score
So I've brewed a couple hefes, one being EdWorts recipe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen.35679/
and another very similar, both using the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan.
But it comes out thinner than I'd like.
Taste is fine, but I'd like more body to it like the German style hefes just seem to be fuller bodied.

I keg, so am I just losing too much of the yeast that I might keep if I bottled conditioned? or is there more of something I can add to the grain bill or a different yeast, fermentation method?

I also ferment in a fridge with a johnson control at 68 degrees.

Mash higher, like 154-155F and try to keep your FG over 1.010 and not go under, as it will make the beer taste drier and thinner. Good for hoppy beers. Probably 1.012-1.014 would be what you are after, and it fits the style.

You could use some Flaked oats for a fuller body and mouthfeel or a bit of Rye malt. Don't overdo it though. Fermentation temp. seems right, but you can definitely go higher.

But a Hefe should be quite cloudy with lots of protein and some yeast in suspension, giving it it's nice mouthfeeel and fluffiness. Try to bottle a half a gallon next time and compare to the one left in the keg.

Mash high, 69c or whatever that is in f. You want to finish around 1.015 if you can. Also a bit of chloride is good, as mentioned above.

Also these should be good out of the bottle or keg, but if you are bottling try to bottle condition rather than use a beer gun from the keg. I found they lose some of the magic going through the beet gun. Plus its hard work with highly carved styles.

Water chemistry! More chloride!
I've never messed with water chemistry, I usually use filtered water from a refilled 5gal jug and never even thought about that. i'll have to try that out thanks.

Latest posts

Back