Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone posted a partial mash for this recipe? I skimmed and did not see it posted...I still don't know how to adjust it myself yet. Any help is appreciated!

I made this last night but added some munich. It was a 3g batch which I undershot the gravity so I had to supplement with 1/2 pound of wheat DME to bring up the OG to .052. I also used white labs hefeweizen IV so hopefully it will be a good summertime beer. Also Happy National Home Brew day. I plan on brewing a stout later on tonight. I need to get my pipeline going for the summer. I dont plan on brewing over the summer due to the temps but if I run out of beer that means my keezer is empty and I can use that to brew.

Finally decided to post because the third batch of this recipe is fermenting away downstairs;

Used White Labs 351, a platinum series yeast and fermented at 62 degF per Jamil Z.

1st Batch - 3rd AG batch ever, good brew day, used yeast starter - Absolutely the Best Beer I Have Ever Made! Fantastic!

2nd Batch - AG, Major temp problems, impromptu decoction, effed-up sparge, bad yeast lag. I was disappointed relative to batch 1, everyone I gave this to looked at me like I was crazy. Over time, I realized it was merely a good beer vs. a fantastic beer.

3rd Batch - AG, flawless brew day, hit temps, gravities, big yeast starter. 12 hrs and fermentation was a rockin.

I'm thinking this time it will be so good, I'll die from sheer pleasure and have to leave the beer to friends & family in my will to avoid the fighting. :mug:

Apfelwein may get the chicks, but this recipe is Ed Wort's true gift to HBT!

Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying it. It's a true German Hefe.

I'm brewing a 15 gallon batch this week as soon as I step up enough yeast for 3 fermenters.

Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying it. It's a true German Hefe.

I'm brewing a 15 gallon batch this week as soon as I step up enough yeast for 3 fermenters.

I am doing a 10 gallon patch this weekend . Mr.Malty calculates I need to have 357 billion cells and a starter of 4 liters. So I guess I will be making the starter on Wed and stepping up for Sunday's brew. Knew I should have bought a 5000ml flask..

So, I got really lazy over the winter and forgot to bottle this. Fast forward 6 months in the primary fermenter, I finally needed it for a belgian tripel I was brewing. I was kind of hoping it would taste ****ty from yeast autolysis or something so I could just dump it, but it unfortunately tasted good. I bottled it and kicked up some yeast to try to provide some haziness as most of it was clear as a bell.

4 days later it is quite carbonated oddly enough. It usually takes a few weeks for me. Tastes pretty good, still a good clove/banana flavor which I was not expect after this long of a time in the fermenter.

Now the problem. It finished at 1.000 after 6 months. Yes you read that correctly. I made sure my hydrometer was calibrated correctly. It gave the same reading as water. It isn't fully carbonated yet, but even at such a low gravity, it is mighty tasty. It has a commercial wheat mouthfeel, with the bavarian wheat taste. I bet my BMC family will like that.

It never ends, does it?

Nope ..

I brewed this over the weekend I adjusted the grains down taking into account that I am getting around 84% efficiency . I used 12 lbs or wheat and 6 pounds of pilsner for the 11 gallon patch I overshot the OG by .004 no big deal still within style. This brew session I got around 88% efficiency with an OG of 1.056(high end of style)

This brew session I got around 88% efficiency with an OG of 1.056
I brewed Friday, and all I got was a lousy 66%. I bought the grain, milled, from AHS and the wheat looked barely touched. I did a double decoction mash to try to get as much out as I could....

IMGP3207.JPG

Mine finished three weeks in the bottle last weekend. Big banana aroma, good stuff.

I brewed Friday, and all I got was a lousy 66%. I bought the grain, milled, from AHS and the wheat looked barely touched. I did a double decoction mash to try to get as much out as I could....

I have not been able to dial in my system in reguards to efficiency 3 brews range 82 to 84% this one 88%.

Mine finished three weeks in the bottle last weekend. Big banana aroma, good stuff.

This is my go to this time of the year .. Sorry for the Shock Top glass only one I have in this style left

hefe11.JPG

I brewed this bad boy on Memorial day...ac in my house went down so room temp is a lil warmer than normal but I think it will be ok....ended up with an OG of 1.060. hopin to keg in 10-12 days!!

I just poured a glass of this and its good stuff even though my fermentation temps got out of hand. Fermentation was stuck for a few days when it got cold in my apartment because my thermostat sucks. Even so it came out alot like a Paulaner Hefeweizen when it finally finished which is what I was aiming for. Can't beat it for such a simple recipe, thanks Ed!

I just kegged this last night. It hit 1.010 not bad from 1.056 og . Sample was excellent and looking forward to having it this weekend

My 3 kegs have been on gas since for a week now, and I poured a pitcher via a picnic tap from the 20 cu. ft chest freezer in the garage. Wow, I have missed this all year. Now summer is here and I have fresh Hefeweizen on tap. Happy days are here again.

BTW, I used Pils & Wheat malt over two years old stored in my garage and it tastes great.

I sneaked a few pints last night when no one was looking not fully carbed but still great. I had it set at 30psi this one keg has no relief valve so I took it off gas and got my trusty screwdriver and sanitized it with the torch and hit the wrong poppet .... yup beer all over me and the kegerater....

Brewed a batch of this recently...
I took a little of the vorlauf and carmalized it on the stove. Tastiest wort ever!!!
Smothered some brats in it and enjoyed the heck out of brewday.
Here is a like to an experiment I am doing with this recipe... linky
Thanks for the recipe EdWort!

I'm getting ready to brew my second batch of this and I have 2 questions, is the 3068 the best yeast to use to get the most banana/clove flavor? I'm looking for a franziskaner type banana/clove flavor.

I keg and the first batch settled out a lot, is shaking the keg a bit to get the yeast back into the beer ok?

I'm getting ready to brew my second batch of this and I have 2 questions, is the 3068 the best yeast to use to get the most banana/clove flavor? I'm looking for a franziskaner type banana/clove flavor.

I believe so. Key is fermentation temperature. 68 is optimal, but the higher the temp, the more banana you will get. I did my last one at 66-67 degrees and it has a wonderful banana nose and flavor.

Brewing this the Weekend

I use Wirlfloc in all my beers, but I`m thinking to skip it
for this brew since it`s cloudy anyway.

am I right with this?

Great thread, I am a huge fan of Bavarian Hef.

Couple of ?'s for Edwort.

Why 90 min for the mash and why no sparge?

With a OG of 1.052, do you really need a starter?

I bought the ingredients yesterday and this will be my first german style beer.

Thanks in advance and appreciate you posting the recipe.

Got mine kegged couple nihgts ago and all I can say is wow!!! Simply amazing!!! not sure how but I ended up with an OG of 1060 which put my alchohol content lil higher than style range but a truly amazing beer!! and its not even fully carbed yet...This is going to make its way into my regular rotation!!! I simply love it...Thanks for the great recipe ED!!

I believe so. Key is fermentation temperature. 68 is optimal, but the higher the temp, the more banana you will get. I did my last one at 66-67 degrees and it has a wonderful banana nose and flavor.

This would also explain the wonderful aroma I got from mine...planned on keeping it at room temp but my A/C went out and room temp ended up being between 75-80...I was a lil worried about it but it still turned out wonderful!!!!

Great thread, I am a huge fan of Bavarian Hef.

Couple of ?'s for Edwort.

Why 90 min for the mash and why no sparge?

With a OG of 1.052, do you really need a starter?

90 minuits makes sure you have a good starch conversion, especially with the wheat malt.

I always make a starter with any liquid yeast regardless if it is Wyeast or White Labs. I want to make sure they are good to go before I even start brewing.

Just used this recipe for my first AG brew yesterday. OG was low, around 1.047, but everything went a bit easier than I expected.

How many volumes of carbonation should I shoot for? The default in beersmith is 2.4, but the wiki says wheat beers should have 3.

Thanks Ed. Amazing recipe. I am drinking a pint as we speak. Very good authentic hefeweizen. Very amazing. I have your haus pale ale fermenting as well so I'll post about that too. Thanks, you might be responsible for some unwanted pregnancies. :mug:

3rd Place winner of the 2007 Alamo Cerveza Fest

Bavarian Hefeweizen 5.5 Gallon

7# German Wheat
4# German Pils
.5# Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash)

Mash for 90 minutes at 153 degrees.

.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 15

Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 with starter.

Ferment 10 days at 68 degrees then crash cool & keg.

O.G. 1.052
F.G. 1.009

5.6% abv

I've been reading through the whole thread trying to find the PM recipe, now that I have re-read the AG recipe, there is no reason to do a PM, correct?
I utilize the Deathbrewer Easy PM brewing method and could I not follow it for this recipe. Place the 11lbs of wheat and pils in a sack, mash at 153 with a ratio of 1.25q/lb for 90 minutes, sparge, then boil, following the hop schedule above.

Am I getting over my head or am I reading it correctly?

Week in the bottle and taste was phenomenal. Perhaps a touch sweeter than a Paulaner or Franziskaner, but altogether very nice and very "Bavarian."

Also swirled up WAY too much yeast into my pour. Was almost a sludge. Will be more careful on week 2's tasting.

I have my second batch of this fermenting. The first btach was kegged and I noticed that about halfway thru the keg the beer starting clearing and it lost alot of flavor. I may bottle this batch so I can swirl the last bit of beer and pour the yeast into the glass. I would prefer to keg it though. How do you keg it and keep it cloudy and consistent for the entire keg?

I have my second batch of this fermenting. The first btach was kegged and I noticed that about halfway thru the keg the beer starting clearing and it lost alot of flavor. I may bottle this batch so I can swirl the last bit of beer and pour the yeast into the glass. I would prefer to keg it though. How do you keg it and keep it cloudy and consistent for the entire keg?

I rock the keg to stir up the yeast if it's been sitting too long.

I have always forcecarbed, would this be a good beer to try priming with corn sugar? It seems like there would be more yeast that way.

Out of the bottle, pours pretty crystal clear. First bottle I did the ol' pour half, swirl gently, then pour. Drank like sludge. Second bottle poured like a normal homebrew, not disturbing the yeast. Was just cloudy enough to carry yeast flavor without spoiling the overall drinking texture or visual beauty.

Excellent beer. Definitely a brew-over.

Latest posts

Back