Be Careful With Propane Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually have to agree that the risk of asphyxiation is real. I also maintain that if the tank is unrestrained, the risk of being whacked on the back of the head with it is higher.

I have spent a lot of time on fuels safety. Without a controlled mixing of fuel and air, it is REALLY hard to ignite propane, methane or any of the other -ane's in a ventilated space. If allowed to pool in an enclosed space, the barrier layer easily meets the mixture requirements just like the vapors from gasoline.

So use caution but also use common sense,

You should write some screen plays! You certainty could of hit the brakes with a small propane leak of 1-2min. Heck you could of even had a smoke!

(pssst, I actually did but I wasn't going to mention it as I thought it'd make me look like an idiot. Little did I know that this thread would accomplish that without inserting an image of me as the Marlboro Man). :)

By no means unsafe but your post was very dramatic. :) I worked on product tankers for a number of years - you can smell different levels of toxic and flammable fumes the majority of the time while on deck - we have to wear gas detectors. It probably wasn't leaking very long before you could smell it unless there's something wrong with your smell.

The O2 content would be the biggest issue - %21 oxygen content is safe. The propane if left to leak would reduce that number in an enclosed space.

I remember a PSA when I was a kid that explained it perfectly. A coffee cup of gasoline properly vaporized can explode with the force of 2 sticks of dynamite. I strap my propane tanks to a tie point in the open bed of my pickup, in case you are wondering...

exploding-pinto-o.gif

^^^Very funny!..But, seriously, the burning question I have is: Did you get your propane tank back from the fire department?

Yes, pun intended...lol

Back