BDSA - help with candi syrup additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomstickbrews

Reaction score
I plan to brew a belgian dark strong ale with D and/or D2 belgian candi syrup and need some tips on usage.

What % of the total fermentables should it compromise? I'm currently shooting for about 8% and a total of 14-15% from sugars.

When should I add it? Early in the boil, late in the boil, to primary, etc? Is there a benefit to adding it at a particular time?

What flavors can I expect fomr each - read the D1 has molasses and burnt caramel flavor and D2 leans toward dark fruit and chocolaty flavor...

thx much

Typically I add sugars at the very end of the boil, just long enough for them to dissolve. This is less of an issue when you're adding dark sugar to a dark beer with the intention of it adding a caramel flavor, but when I add the extra light stuff to a tripel, I don't want caramel typically. Sometimes I'll add sugars a day or two after it starts fermenting, just to give the yeast a little headstart on the high gravity.
*edit* bad grammar!

thx for the candisyrup site link and advice, the recipies and info on the site are very helpful.

Back