BCS 460 Tell me all about it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, this BCS has me really intrigued. I'm in the process of stealing a bunch of designs on this board (thanks, everyone!) and converting to an electric (5500W) BIAB/no sparge (continuous recirc.)/no chill process. I was trying to design a control panel when I came across this thread. And while it may be over the top to go with the BCS for a simple BIAB that will only have one element and one pump, I just can't get over the thought of turning on the element before I leave work. If you couldn't tell, time savings are very critical for me.

Anyway, what would seal the deal for me on this would be if I could use the BCS in lieu of a $130 Ranco dual-stage temperature controller for my fermentation freezer (where I live, the temp fluctuates so much that I need both cooling and heating capabilities). So, does anyone know if this thing can control both the freezer and a heat pad at the same time and turn one on and the other off as needed?

Also, is there a feature where you could set a time for the element to turn on in the future (e.g., 30 min. before I wake up)?

Thanks in advance,
BA

So, this BCS has me really intrigued. I'm in the process of stealing a bunch of designs on this board (thanks, everyone!) and converting to an electric (5500W) BIAB/no sparge (continuous recirc.)/no chill process. I was trying to design a control panel when I came across this thread. And while it may be over the top to go with the BCS for a simple BIAB that will only have one element and one pump, I just can't get over the thought of turning on the element before I leave work. If you couldn't tell, time savings are very critical for me.

Anyway, what would seal the deal for me on this would be if I could use the BCS in lieu of a $130 Ranco dual-stage temperature controller for my fermentation freezer (where I live, the temp fluctuates so much that I need both cooling and heating capabilities). So, does anyone know if this thing can control both the freezer and a heat pad at the same time and turn one on and the other off as needed?

Also, is there a feature where you could set a time for the element to turn on in the future (e.g., 30 min. before I wake up)?

Thanks in advance,
BA

The BCS can control 6 outputs and has 4 built in PIDs. You will still need relays of some sort to control the power (the BCS output is just a 5 volt control signal) but it has the logic to do what you want.

The BCS timers count up or down (kinda like a stop watch), so you would have to set a time for the BCS to wait (come on in 8 hours) before starting your element instead of a specific time (come on at 7:30am) for the element to come on.

The challenge with turning on an element 30 minutes before you wake up is knowing when you are going to wake up... so you could set a time in the BCS for the element to be turned on AND have one of the outputs signal an alarm 30 minutes later just to make sure you're up. :D

SWEET! That does it...I am BCS bound (if only I could say that about Purdue's football team...sigh).

Thanks for the response, Ed!

I just got mine last week and have been testing and configuring it all week. This thing is going to be the highlight of my summer. Also, the look on your friends faces when they see you controlling your brew rig from your Iphone or laptop is priceless. I find most people still view home brewing as a big pot on your stove.

OK, all ordered up. Now I am just waiting on my additional SSRs and heatsinks from China.

While I'm waiting, I'm curious, does the BCS remove the need for fuses?

OK, all ordered up. Now I am just waiting on my additional SSRs and heatsinks from China.

While I'm waiting, I'm curious, does the BCS remove the need for fuses?

It's even more important to add fuses. The BCS doesn't have much in the way of transient or over current protection.

Anyone having trouble getting settings to save and stick?

I'm using a new MacBook Pro with Firefox and Safari in Snow Leopard 10.6.

Firefox will not save settings in any other state than 0, Safari will however.

Neither will allow me to control anything in Manual mode. For instance, if I hit the pump icon it turns on for like 2 seconds and shut back off.

Anyone having trouble getting settings to save and stick?

I'm using a new MacBook Pro with Firefox and Safari in Snow Leopard 10.6.

Firefox will not save settings in any other state than 0, Safari will however.

Neither will allow me to control anything in Manual mode. For instance, if I hit the pump icon it turns on for like 2 seconds and shut back off.

Did you really set it to manual mode, or just click the output button at the top of the screen? If you have a process running and just click an output button, the running process will reset the output.

On the left side of the main page, under Run/Stop Processes, you have to have Manual Mode selected to truely be running manual.

As for saving: Make the change, hit Apply, then hit Refresh... if it doesn't work, try again.

How are you connected to the BCS? Direct, through a router, or wireless?
I'm thinking this may be related to the Refresh Time (upper left on the main control screen). I think if the refresh is set too fast, requests can sort of "pile up" (and maybe get lost?).

I am running wireless with a 2 second refresh and occasionally have to re-try.

Ed

This is getting very frustrating. So far I have tried it with 3 different computers all plugged directly into the BCS. All them are Mac's but they are all different. One is 4 years old, one is 2, and one is brand new. I am running all different OSX on all 3. I've tested this using Firefox and Safari on both. I am definitely in manual mode, hit apply, refresh, and even set my refresh rate from 1.0 sec to 6.0 sec and still nothing. I can get it to latch for about 1-2 secs at the most. If I set it to "Direct On" it will run just fine, even does it in Duty Cycle. That being said, doesn't that eliminate any SSR/wiring connection problems? It has to be in the BCS or computer. I do find it hard to believe that I've tried it with 3 different computer plugged directly in to the BCS and all have the same problem.

You cannot use the buttons at the top when you are in manual mode, that may be your problem.

Yes, that appears to be my problem. I figured it could be controlled that way.

I just tested it and sure enough it works just fine as long as I am not in manual mode.

So then that mean that while in manual mode, all functions are controlled in the screen that appears once you select manual mode? And you must also hit "apply" every time you go to change something? Seems like Manual mode should be a little easier than that, like if you click it, it does it.

Yes, that appears to be my problem. I figured it could be controlled that way.

So what you are saying is that I should run a process, and while that process is running I can hit one of the buttons at the top and it should work?

No, now your process will fight it.

You can use the buttons, OR run a process, OR use manual mode.

Okay got it now. Am I the only one who thinks Manual mode should have clickable buttons, that didn't require you to hit apply every time?

Okay got it now. Am I the only one who thinks Manual mode should have clickable buttons, that didn't require you to hit apply every time?

Sorry for the confusion. Manual Mode is just a single state process. If you want to do simple things like on/off control, use the buttons at the top of the screen. But more complex things, like entering temperatures, and duty cycles, PID control, etc., require data entry and hence the 'Apply' stage.

I gave people both because I thought people would find it useful. But there is some overlap.

Ok all of you brewing and control experts. I'm going to build my first all grain rig soon. I would like it to be propane fired with automatic valves for the keggle burners. First off I assume the BCS can control temp by turning on and off the appropriate gas valves. Second, I'm sure it has been done but does someone have a link to a single tier gas rig using the BCS?? Gathering info and designing still. Thanks!!!

Cant recall a gas rig using the BCS, but I know people must have. Yes the BCS can control gas vlaves, it can really do anything that I PID can do and much more.

About the MANUAL mode ECC...

When I use it, it works OK, but after I push "apply" and the control takes affect, the controller locks up and I have to reload it from my URL bar to continue.

Anyone know why this is happening to me? I have slowed my refresh rate to 5 seconds and use XP and FireFox

I do appreciate the fact that the BCS will keep the current outputs running if the controller, or my computer, lock up... but it can get a little frustrating when the controller locks for no apparent reason.

I am using a BCS to control my LP single tier. The BCS will control a gas valve, but there are some things to consider in design. I used the Honeywell intermittent ignition modules. They give a spark ignition on a call for heat. Apparently the igniter's are causing some issues with the BCS. I have spent days on this problem. The only thing I can come up with is to move my BCS from it's intended location to somewhere else on the stand. Hopefully that will get it far enough away from the igniter's that the BCS will work dependably.

I will say that I think the BCS will control a more typical gas valve with a standing pilot.

You can check the link below for mine.

Thanks RonRock, exactly what I was looking for. Between you and mplutodh1 I think I can get a nice rig put together that will be repeatable, reliable, and fun to use. I appreciate it!!

Latest posts

Back