BCS 460 Tell me all about it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no problem...

Sounds like YOU might be the risk ;)

Seriously, no problem like that but, It was a bit odd when I ordered my stuff from ECC... there was no confirmation, order acknowledgment, order number, or anything... The next day, I ended up sending them an email just to make sure they got the order.

Good Luck
Ed

Well, that is unfortunate, I can order from anyone else and pay with PayPal...

Btw you can (and I did) order the BCS from Brewmaster's warehouse. I ordered it with some other stuff and it was shipped seperately from ECC. I didn't have to deal with anyone but BMW. It was Black Friday special so it was a good score.

Well, that is unfortunate, I can order from anyone else and pay with PayPal...

I'm sure this is just a snafu that they can work out. I saw you posted in the forum at ECC... I think I'd send an email (if you haven't) they may respond a bit quicker.

Ed

I'm sure this is just a snafu that they can work out. I saw you posted in the forum at ECC... I think I'd send an email (if you haven't) they may respond a bit quicker.

Ed

I will try that... thanks... I just want to spend money, they dont want to give me time to think that over! :D

Btw you can (and I did) order the BCS from Brewmaster's warehouse. I ordered it with some other stuff and it was shipped seperately from ECC. I didn't have to deal with anyone but BMW. It was Black Friday special so it was a good score.

Oh, snap... thanks, to BMW I go!

Thanks bro, I just remembered seeing it there a while back!

I will try that... thanks... I just want to spend money, they dont want to give me time to think that over! :D

While you're in that sort of desperate mood... I can sell you my BCS-460, the current price is $1,000,000 (I will try to find another one) ;)

While you're in that sort of desperate mood... I can sell you my BCS-460, the current price is $1,000,000 (I will try to find another one) ;)

I think I will stick with BMW, he has a better price :D

Ha ha, you accept personal checks? It is ordered.

Good deal... Did you order the probes too?

I'm interested to hear your opinion of the probe compression fittings. They have a plastic ring that seals around the probe. They look like you should be able to finger tighten them, I was surprised how tight I had to get them to stop them from dripping.

Good deal... Did you order the probes too?

I'm interested to hear your opinion of the probe compression fittings. They have a plastic ring that seals around the probe. They look like you should be able to finger tighten them, I was surprised how tight I had to get them to stop them from dripping.

I got the probes, (1) 6" and (2) 4" probes.

I hate compressions... I typically have to tighten them until I think something will break, to get them leak free.

Once I have the BCS and probes to plug up all the holes, I can start some wet test before I get it all mounted.

I got the probes, (1) 6" and (2) 4" probes.

I hate compressions... I typically have to tighten them until I think something will break, to get them leak free.

Once I have the BCS and probes to plug up all the holes, I can start some wet test before I get it all mounted.

I think I am slightly ahead of you, but you are moving faster than I am and will probably finish before I do...

I did a "sea trial" this weekend... Found 2 pinholes in one of the welds of the couplings (I thought leak problems were suppose to be limited to weldless), so I have to break it back down and haul it back to the welder.

Because the depth of the probes is adjustable, I am concerned about the lifespan of the plastic compression ring. I may see if I can replace it with a stack of silicon o-rings.

Ed

I think I am slightly ahead of you, but you are moving faster than I am and will probably finish before I do...

I did a "sea trial" this weekend... Found 2 pinholes in one of the welds of the couplings (I thought leak problems were suppose to be limited to weldless), so I have to break it back down and haul it back to the welder.

Because the depth of the probes is adjustable, I am concerned about the lifespan of the plastic compression ring. I may see if I can replace it with a stack of silicon o-rings.

Ed

Yeah, I had great luck with the weldless fittings... the BK alone has (7) weldless connections on it, that are drama free. Now, the compressions on the coil needed to be torqued down tight.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with PayPal. They handle all of hte translations for my site, so that I don't have to mess with credit cards, etc. They're usually really good, and the transaction is painless.

Once you make an order, you should receive a shipping tracking number (from Paypal) as soon as I process it. I usually process the order the same day, and it ships out the next day or two. (sorry Ohio-Ed, I think it took me a day to process your order).

But, alas, I'm on vacation this week, so any orders will have to wait until I get back on the mainland.

BMW will take orders (plus you combine shipping). But they will ship at the same time as orders from the ECC website.

ECCSYND

Thanks, got it at BMW looking forward to getting some serios tech help! :D

Yeah, I don't know what's up with PayPal. They handle all of hte translations for my site, so that I don't have to mess with credit cards, etc. They're usually really good, and the transaction is painless.

Once you make an order, you should receive a shipping tracking number (from Paypal) as soon as I process it. I usually process the order the same day, and it ships out the next day or two. (sorry Ohio-Ed, I think it took me a day to process your order).

But, alas, I'm on vacation this week, so any orders will have to wait until I get back on the mainland.

BMW will take orders (plus you combine shipping). But they will ship at the same time as orders from the ECC website.

No problem... really just meant to let The Pol know what to expect. I suggested he send an email if he had a question because I got a pretty quick response to my inquiry. Enjoy your vacation!!

Since Pol has already ordered, this is an info post for others.

I ordered from ECC and used Paypal with no problems at all and shipping was quick. No complaints (sorry Pol :p).

Yeah, I dunno, I placed a bunch of orders today and no problems, just when I tried to order at ECC. Oh well, it all worked out.

what all do i need to start brewing?

To stop looking at this thread! LOL

Don't think for a minute you need equipment like this. You can get started with a large pot, an ingredients kit for an extract beer, and a small equipment kit :) Start a new thread in the beginners forum and you will get all the help you need :)

Welcome to HBT by the way!

Anyone else have a problem ordering at ECC? I tried to buy my stuff today... this is what I get:

PayPal is constantly working to protect our members against fraud. We review every transaction before it is approved, and we may block a payment when we detect a potential risk.

Our reviews take into account every aspect of a transaction, including looking at both parties. These decisions help us maintain the integrity of our payments network in the same way as other payment processors: by declining transactions with an unacceptable level of risk.

While our fraud measures occasionally block a legitimate payment, to maintain overall security, we cannot overturn any decisions about an individual transaction.

If you decide to continue this transaction using a different funding source, please note that the associated risk levels have not been decreased.

I cant even give them my money... crap

Hey Pol, just be glad they (PayPal) didn't pull this crap on you with anything big. We just had this exact thing happen to us last summer when we tried to pay for a $6000 lot clearing job we had contracted out. They only took PayPal and there was no other way for us to get them the money. Turns out PayPal had implemented a new policy that wouldn't allow single payments over $2500 against unverified accounts. Too bad for us they didn't publicize the change, and too bad we tried once and failed, we were blocked from trying to pay the bill. Took two months to straighten out. PayPal sux :mad:

Beautiful build BTW :D
MrH

Okay, I have my BCS, the WIKI isnt helping me in the least.

How do I get the control page up?
How do I link this to my wirelss network at home? (yah I know the WIKI covers this, but... that isnt working out for me either)

Basically, just frustrated, I have three days off, and today was a complete waste.

Apparently to log into my router, all I need to do is put the IP address in the URL bar at the top here and let it log in... well, it wont work. Sooooo, I think that is my first problem, I need to log into the thing to even start setting things up, and I cannot seem to accomplish that.

To connect to your wireless LAN you will either need to plug the BCS into the network somewhere with an Ethernet Cable could be your Router, or a Switch. Which will make it another part of your LAN. Or get a Wireless Bridge, make sure it is configured to work on your LAN, then connect the BCS to it by Ethernet Cable.

You can simply plug the BCS into a computer by Ethernet and open a browser. Internet Explorer may work (it does on my system) but Firefox is recomended. Then go to,

This is default IP of the BCS.

The forum has quite a bit of info on wireless connections, with some recomendations on Wireless Bridges that some have used.

To connect to your wireless LAN you will either need to plug the BCS into the network somewhere with an Ethernet Cable could be your Router, or a Switch. Which will make it another part of your LAN. Or get a Wireless Bridge, make sure it is configured to work on your LAN, then connect the BCS to it by Ethernet Cable.

You can simply plug the BCS into a computer by Ethernet and open a browser. Internet Explorer may work (it does on my system) but Firefox is recomended. Then go to,

This is default IP of the BCS.

The forum has quite a bit of info on wireless connections, with some recomendations on Wireless Bridges that some have used.

OH, so I need ANOTHER piece of equipment... I need a wireless bridge? That will plug into the BCS ethernet connection I assume and allow it to work with my wilreless network?

Sweet...

I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get this thing built. 2 weeks and no progress.

Yeah, the BCS isn't wireless out of the box. Sorry if that wasn't clear. It has an Ethernet port to connect to your network. However, once you have it wired to your network, you can access it with your wireless laptop (since the laptop connects to the network wirelessly).

OKAY I have had a few issues... but I am working them out.

QUESTION!

I have (2) RIMS heating elements they are on OUTPUT 0 and OUTPUT1.

I want them BOTH controlled via PID associated with ONE temp probe. That is the TEMP 0 or as I named it MLT OUTLET.

If I go to ALTERNATE PID and set OUT 0 (RIMS HEATER 1) and OUT 1 (RIMS HEATER 2) and set the PID Settings to OUT 0 for BOTH... it then sayes that temp probe association is (MLT OUTLET TEMP) Which is what I want. (2) elements controlled by a single PID and single Temp input.

BUT then I go up on that page to CURRENT STATE PROPERTIES and it sayes that RIMS heater 1 temp probe association is MLT OUTLET and RIMS heater 2 temp probe association is RIMS OUTLET.

Sooo, which is it? Using alternate PID can I set up those elements to use the SAME PID that is associated with the SAME temp. probe?

Looks like the CURRENT STATE PROPERTIES table doesn't take into account the alt pid. The settings on the Add/Edit State page are correct. This is a display issue, when using Alt PID, your Rims Heater2 will be associated with MLT OUTLET like you want.

Looks like the CURRENT STATE PROPERTIES table doesn't take into account the alt pid. The settings on the Add/Edit State page are correct. This is a display issue, when using Alt PID, your Rims Heater2 will be associated with MLT OUTLET like you want.

That is awesome, cool...

My RIMS heater 1 and RIMS heater 2 will be set up in the Alternate PID settings using OUTPUT 0 (MLT OUTLET TEMP) for both. Awesome, thanks. This will allow me to run them (and thier state) until the water returning to the RIMS heater is 165F for the strike, then it will exit to the next state. Perfect. This is one sweet little tool.

I will admit, I think it needs a little cheat sheet, or a quick startup guide maybe included with the controller to help troubleshoot the most common issues with getting it connected to ones network. I wil include a little trouble shooting guide in my build thread to show how I rectified my issues.

Thanks again!

Actually, it is not working that way.

I am testing it now with temp probes attached and I am running the state where I want my (2) elements associated with ONE PID and ONE temp. input (MLT OUTLET)

At the Alternate PID screen it sayes that they are both being controlled by the PID/OUT 0 and are associated with TEMP 0. But, they are not, I am running the process now and when into "Temp Setpoint Adjust" and it shows that the RIMS heater 1 is on the MLT outlet temp (69F) and RIMS heater 2 is on the RIMS outlet temp (55F).

So, even though I have them both set to Alt. PID/OUT 0 , and it shows that they are both associated with MLT OUTLET TEMP (Temp 0)... that is not really the case per the CURRENT STATE page and the TEMP SETPOINT ADJUST page.

Darn.

I will admit, I think it needs a little cheat sheet, or a quick startup guide maybe included with the controller to help troubleshoot the most common issues with getting it connected to ones network. I wil include a little trouble shooting guide in my build thread to show how I rectified my issues.

Cool, that would be nice. I'll try to get your guide fed back into the wiki for others.

Pol, just as an FYI. You can buy a wireless Access Point at Best Buy. I've never bought one, but I'd guess that if BBuy sells them they should be pretty user friendly. And easy to get your hands on.

Pol, just as an FYI. You can buy a wireless Access Point at Best Buy. I've never bought one, but I'd guess that if BBuy sells them they should be pretty user friendly. And easy to get your hands on.

They do sell them, for $100. I picked one up online new for $62. It is the same model I have for my household wireless. I should be ready to wire in a week.

Here is some of my interface...

I set up my WIN buttons on someones advice. I have pauses programmed where I need to move connections, mash in, etc... the WIN buttons will allow me to start the NEXT state as soon as I am finished with the pause and doing what I need to do.
BCSshot1.bmp

Here is my problem. Notice the TEMP ASSOCIATION in the Alternat PID page.

NOW, look at what is ACTUALLY happening while running this process, in the TEMP SETPOINT CHANGE page. Obviously the Alternate PID page is wrong, as the temp. associations are different, not the same as stated in the Alternate PID page.

ALT_PID.bmp

Now, look at the temp. association here:

TEMPSET_ADJUST.bmp

Cool. Always good to stay with the same brand wireless products.

It is pretty sweet that my brewing rig will have a wireless bridge blinking away in there with a little antenna. ECCSYS has a link to my build on his FACEBOOK page :mug:

BCSshot2.bmp

Here is my problem. Notice the TEMP ASSOCIATION in the Alternat PID page.

The Alternate PID was a relatively recent addition. Unfortunately there are still some places in the interface where it isn't displayed properly. I think that it is working as you expect, the the association in the Alternate PID table is the correct one. In the other tables (Current State Properties on main page, and Temp Setpoint Adjust page), the association is displayed incorrectly. On those pages, it just displays the default association, even the the alternate PID is overriding it.

Sorry if that caused confusion, it will be fixed in the next update.

The Alternate PID was a relatively recent addition. Unfortunately there are still some places in the interface where it isn't displayed properly. I think that it is working as you expect, the the association in the Alternate PID table is the correct one. In the other tables (Current State Properties on main page, and Temp Setpoint Adjust page), the association is displayed incorrectly. On those pages, it just displays the default association, even the the alternate PID is overriding it.

Sorry if that caused confusion, it will be fixed in the next update.

Okay, thanks... when I get it hooked up to the SSRs I will be able to tell when the SSRs light up what is working and what is not. Hard to tell when it is all "virtual" for now!

SO the WIKI is pretty specific about connecting my OUTputs. The + goes to the OUT and the - goes to a ground (the BCS has three)

THOUGH, it does not get that specific about the temp inputs. It sayes polarity doesnt matter, but it does not say where to connect the second wire. One will go to the TEMP0, TEMP1 etc... location on the BCS, but what about the other? Does that also go a ground? The WIKI doesnt explain this.

Since my "test" probe was wired that way, and worked, I am assuming so?

Thanks

Back