BB Robust Porter in primary for 18 days. Time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantasticBastard

Reaction score
I have a Robust Porter that's been in primary for 18 days now and I've got the itch to do another batch but have no empty fermentors. I'd love to get this bottled and get something else in the carboy but I don't want to rush it.

Unfortunately, I did not have a hydrometer on brew day so I do not know the OG. Does that mean that I should just err on the side of caution and let it sit for a few more days?

Not sure about the yeast. It was whatever came with the kit (I'm at work right now and can't look it up). I know it was a Nottingham strand though. The temp has been between 65-69 (ambient temp) and the fermentor sits on a concrete floor in the closet of my loft. I also didn't have a wine thief (ordered today) so I wasn't really sure how to take samples.

My rational brain is telling me to leave it alone and bottle 10 days from now, as planned, but the other side of my brain wants to brew again!

Thanks for your response!

5 gallon glass carboy. I guess what I'm really wondering is whether or not there will be a noticeable taste difference between 18 days in primary and 28 days in primary.

Get a hydrometer. With a kit you hit your OG. It is almost impossible to miss OG with extract unless your volumes were waaaaaaay off.

Take a sample and if the gravity is stable for a few days bottle it up.

My suggestion is to buy another fermenter or two. That makes it easier to let the brew sit. I did four brews before I tasted my first.

With 3 or 4 fermenters. you can brew almost every week and still let each brew sit for 3-4 weeks.

I have 4 that I use for my regular beers and two that I use for Belgians because they often sit for at least 6 weeks.

i'll second the having stable gravity readings over a few days. i've brewed that kit before and found it got better with a little age, so bulk aging it in the fermenter for another couple weeks sure wouldn't hurt anything. it's a tasty porter, btw, you should be happy with the results.

FantasticBastard, let me know how that turns out for ya if you would. I'd be curious to hear. I bottled mine today and there wasn't a roasted/chocolate note in sight.

@ 18 days, unless you were under 65 degrees, I'm sure your fine to bottle. I think that kit is a medium gravity kit.

FantasticBastard, let me know how that turns out for ya if you would. I'd be curious to hear. I bottled mine today and there wasn't a roasted/chocolate note in sight.

Did you find that your porter tasted strange at bottling time?

most beers don't taste quite right going into bottles, or at least, they taste very green, many of the expected flavors and aromas aren't there yet. generally, it takes 3+ weeks at room temp (70) to carb and condition a beer. a beer like this, or this beer in particular (i've brewed it a couple times) will take a bit longer to really come around to a nice porter. i found mine started getting really nice around 5-6 weeks and will continue to improve w/more time.

Since you bottled already make shure you save some of those to drink over the next few months to compare how it tastes.

Back