BB Holiday Ale Extremely Low SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindsor

Reaction score
Last night I brewed the Holiday Ale kit and I'm pretty sure I did everything right. This is my 10th batch and I followed the directions to the T but for some reason the SG was 1.042 when it should have been in the 1.068-1.072 range. It would seem as if I left out some fermentables but I put in all that was there -6.6lb light LME
-1 lb golden DME
-1 lb corn sugar

I spun the hydrometer in the thief a few times to make sure there weren't any air bubbles.

Can anybody think of a reason my SG would be so low? And what will this do to the final outcome of the ABV. I assume it will be much lower now?

I'm kind of bummed, I was really looking forward to this one

I recently made this kit and my SG was right on target. Maybe your wort was not stirred enough?

Do you mean in the brew pot? I stirred quite a bit but I guess I could have done more. Would that really lower the SG that much?

my guess is that your sg was right with in that range, but the wort wasnt stirred enough in the fermenter and the concentrated wort went to the bottom. i usually stir my wort for 5 minutes before taking gravity readings and then i pitch my yeast. the good news that the yeast will find all of the goodness from the brew and will eat it and mix it up. i would relax and just assume you are in the middle of the sg. then when its done take the fg and calculate. your beer will be fine

Was this a full boil or top off with water?
If top off with water, the wort and water were probably just not mixed well and you got a diluted sample. With extract brewing you can assume you hit your SG.

Was this a full boil or top off with water?
If top off with water, the wort and water were probably just not mixed well and you got a diluted sample. With extract brewing you can assume you hit your SG.

Yep, it takes a good bit to get a well mixed batch

it was a partial boil with the old top off. I think I did everything right so I will just assume that it will fine

Latest posts

Back