Bayou Classic 1064 OR Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjbanks

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a larger size kettle for brewing 10 gallons batches in the not too distant future so i have to purchase something now since i'm starting all-grain (my current kettle is only 6 gallons). My choice is:

Bayou Classic 1064 (16 gallon - $160) or a 15.5 gallon Keggle ($100 used from Craigslist). Both have ball valve spigots but no temperature indicator. I was leaning towards the keggle because i am going to probably brew from my garage or deck once i get the propane burner and it is cheaper and kinda looks cool.

Link to the Bayou: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V493PG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The keggle will be quite a bit heavier, that's something to think about.

You can also try your local flea market for stainless pots, I just bought two 20 gallon pots for $150 there.

That a good idea with the Flea market. I live close to a really good one but never thought to look for kettles there. I will check it out this weekend.

I'm aware thats its heavier but don't plan on lifting it when its filled so i don't think it should be too much of a problem.

What kind of brewing will you be doing? Traditional AG or BIAB? If the latter, a keggle can be a bit tricky with grain bag extraction, due to the smaller opening. Unless you cut off the top all the way out to the sides.

If you are planning 10 gallon batches, you might want to consider going with a 20 gallon BK, just to have ample room for those high gravity brews.

I look at it simply. One of those options is designed for food preparation, the other is designed for serving beer. Yes, the 2nd can be repurposed, but for design and all around utilitarian value, I much prefer a kettle.

FWIW, I own a brewmagic system too, and while I really like it, I constantly wonder why they don't build that thing with real kettles instead of keggles.

I look at it simply. One of those options is designed for food preparation, the other is designed for serving beer. Yes, the 2nd can be repurposed, but for design and all around utilitarian value, I much prefer a kettle.

FWIW, I own a brewmagic system too, and while I really like it, I constantly wonder why they don't build that thing with real kettles instead of keggles.

Thats a good perspective. Thanks.

I have the same Bayou Classic kettle, but I bought it without any fittings, etc. I had a friend drill it out and put in a ball valve from More Beer. I love it. I use a bazooka screen in it too, but I'm thinking that's not necessary unless I were to brew with leaf hops (never do, but may someday).
Cheaper than that pre-built kettle, you just have to have the friend who'll drill it out for beer.

I have that exact same kettle you linked to. I love it.

I didn't think having a kettle with a ball valve would make such a change in my brew day, but it does. I first ran it with a hose barb so I could drain wort out of it, but now I have a portable pump setup and I have a cam lock QD mounted on the output.

The kettle is of decent enough grade steel, fairly rugged yet light weight at the same time. I only do 5 gallon batches, but this will easily accommodate 10 gallon batches.

Figure by the time you waste your time getting a slightly cheaper kettle, then spend time drilling it out and fitting a ball valve, you can have this whole thing shipped to your house and be brewing 10 minutes after you take it out of the box. It's one of the best values in brewing IMO.

Back