Batch Sparge Idea, Partial Boil for 20 Min...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjwor

Reaction score
So I was brewing today, AG using the batch sparge method and thought of an Idea that could potentially save me 20 min or so on my brewday.

How I did my brew today, I mashed for 1hr, collected my first runnings and stuck them on the burner to have that portion be boiling to make the total batch, once the second runnings are added, get to a boil as fast as possible. So basically I had 3 gallons or so of wort boiling while awaiting the second runnngs, 15 min of rest and however long it takes to get it all ran out into the kettle (second kettle).

So my question is, could I just start my boil, and hops additions, before I have collected my second runnings?

My concern is that I would lose out on the key hop utilization for the early stages of the boil with it being a reduced amount of wort, and also that the couple of minutes it takes for the boil to resume once the second runnings are added would have an affect on the hops utilization.

Anyone ever tried this process?

I know it isn't a huge time saver, but every bit counts if I'm brewing after I get home from work!

Kind of what I've done the past 1/2 dozen batches or so.
Add my hops for 1stWH and drain my 1st runnings, then start my boil while doing the sparge. Since I'm batch sparging, the 1st runnings don't get up to full boil in the 10-15 min. before I'm ready to add the second runnings, but it's close.
I don't think there will be a noticeable difference in the hop utilization.

Latest posts

Back