BAtch ID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
We are working on a few recipes and would like to try to ID the bottles with the batch number. That way we can refine the recipe as we go. I was wondering if anyone else does this and what you use. I already hate washing bottles and dread the thought of having to scrape the IDs off so smaller is better.

Also what type of paper do you use to print your labels on?

Thanks,

Nick

I think a lot of people use the small round stickers that you might use for price tags for a yard sale and put them on the cap. Since you are going to throw the cap away anyway, you just need to rinse the bottle. I can also get three lines of print on each circle to put the batch #, style/name (normally abbreviated) and the bottling date.

These are what I use (though the Avery version):
Staples® Round 3/4" Diameter Print & Write Color Coding Labels | Staples®

I use all one color for a batch, and print them out on my printer. Using my inkjet, they even hold up to being submerged in water.

i use a letter and number on the cap like A1, then i include the ID in my brewing notes. just write it on the cap with a sharpie

OK I think I will delete this thread because it makes me look dumb. Those are good ideas, I'm going to put a code on the caps while I watch the Red Sox tonight.

Thanks!

I use the Avery address lables(5160 specifically) and I put the name of the beer, date bottled and ABV. If it takes up too much room, I just abbreviate the name and make the font smaller. That way, I don't have to scrape off another label.

Oh yea, I make 6 labels per square and just cut them down.

You could get a price gun, like the ones they use in the grocery store. Instead of the price, you put the batch #. That would speed up the things a little bit for you.

I used to do the A1 B1 A2 B2 numbers on the caps... Then I graduated to avery dot's. Then I started running the dots through the printer and used Word Art to make them interesting.....

Now I keg. Each keg gets painters tape and a sharpie...

I tried the address label yesterday. I got 4 per label but it took to long with all the cutting. I'm going to the colored yard sale stickers. One color per style, I figure there must be 8-10 colors so I'll be ok for a while. Then I just note the batch number on top.

Thanks for all the input

I have only found pack of four (Red, Blue, Green and Yellow). I have seen many other colors, but only in individual packs. If you find packs with 8-10 colors, please post a link or product number. Since I am limited to the four colors, I have come up with the following scheme:

Red: For malty styles (Stout, Scottish Ales, etc.)
Blue: Wits and other Wheat Beers
Green: IPAs
Yellow: Pale Ales

I make more Pale Ales and IPAs, which is why they get a dedicated color, but that way I can at least identify the general style by the color of sticker without reading the details. Not that I am pushing this scheme, just to suggest that you come up with a system that works for you.

I just use a sharpie on the cap and record the letter and number code as my Beersmith assistant brewer. works well for multiple versions of the same recipe

Back