Batch has gone sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heffe

Reaction score
My recent batch I was excited to make was a brown IPA. I used my normal process except it got really cold and I didn't think about it until after a weekend had passed 60ish° F.

The only signs of anything going on was very large and clear bubbles. I took the batch inside and warmed it up and it sat around 68°F and I had normal fermentation signs, it just took a week rather than a few days due to the temperature.

I just pulled a thief to taste and it tastes like a sour beer, not necessarily bad, but if you have had a sour, it tastes like that. While I don't mind drinking sours this is not what I was going for in this batch. I have a couple questions:

I assume that in this batch, the bacteria were imparting their flavor in the cold environment and even though I pulled it inside the damage was done.

Since I hate throwing out the $25 I spent on this batch, there isn't any harm in drinking this beer other than the torture each time knowing it was my first failed batch, right?

No harmful pathogens can survive in beer so it wont make you sick but yeah it sounds infected. Any pics?

Pitch somevfruit and tell people your making lambic ipas. ;)

Do you keg? If sk ghe cold frixge temp woll halt or at leady stall any further souring.

Also you coud dose it with campden/sulfite and eeight 24 hours for the sulfite yo off gas and pit hva pack ofvyesdt prior to bottling if you bottle. You could also pasteurize the carboy but its a pain.

Now you need to figure out how it got infected.

Thank you for the replies. I'll look into making it an actual sour, or just see if I can stomach it, but not a batch I can give out, bummer.

No harmful pathogens can survive in beer so it wont make you sick but yeah it sounds infected. Any pics?

here is a pic of the batch now. I haven't seen any activity over the weekend, so it is probably at it's final state now.

IMG_20131110_221022_817.jpg

Yea it looks like normal beer. Could bad yeast cause it to be sour? Or what other cuases of sourness could there be?

I'm not sure about the green beer. What would be characteristic flavors for a beer that is still green?

I don't notice a pronounced apple quality, but the sour amount would be about on par with a granny smith apple.

I hit my mash temp just right, the only thing off was the initial fermentation temp being too low and maybe a little low on the amount of water.

I'm not sure about the green beer. What would be characteristic flavors for a beer that is still green?

I don't notice a pronounced apple quality, but the sour amount would be about on par with a granny smith apple.

I hit my mash temp just right, the only thing off was the initial fermentation temp being too low and maybe a little low on the amount of water.

Some people mistake aldehyde as "sour" like. I find it taste green apple like. Usually a sign of incomplete fermentation/to cold a fermentation.

Has anyone else tasted it?

Usually a lact or peddio will leave a whit film all over the surface.

I think you are right. It did have that flavor. There hasnt been any signs of fermentation. Would you pitch more yeast at a warmer temp? I was thinking i would get a carboy heater.

I think you are right. It did have that flavor. There hasnt been any signs of fermentation. Would you pitch more yeast at a warmer temp? I was thinking i would get a carboy heater.

If its in a secondaryvthen probably would pitch some yeast and leave it in a warmer room for till the apple taste is totally gone.

If their is a yeast cake then move to warm room and swirl the hell out of the yeast.

Possibly add a little bit of sugar to get the yeast revved up a bit. Say 4 oz or so.

I have two batches that are already bottled that have a similar smell, is there anyway to save it? Let it sit in bottles longer? The carboy a were in my friends basement and we live in northern Michigan, but my two batches smell and his is fine.

Back